2018 Grammy Award Discussion

Home // Forums // Music // 2018 Grammy Award Discussion

Viewing 15 posts - 1,186 through 1,200 (of 2,302 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
22 hours ago
( +31 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • Oscar Rodriguez
    Participant
    Topics:

Has any of you heard Sam Smith? His writing is one of the white-iest, most generic pop bullshit in years. He’s trying to be Adele but he isn’t. The fact that Writing’s On The Wall did terrible at the charts AND Grammy’s is telling. He has the Grammy curse. His not going back. In a year where so many singers tried for a comeback, I wouldn’t put my money on Adele 2.0. Actually I take that back, Adele is too good to be compared with that shitty dude.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marco B.
    Participant
    Topics:

Come on Eric, you can’t defend Ed Sheeran’s writing. It is that bad.

ReplyCopy URL
    Final2
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, you must be doing some heavy drugs. It does not take a rocket scientist to know that Sam Smith shits all over Ed Sheeran.

If anyone’s songwriting is overrated, it’s Taylor fuckng Swift. “Stay With Me” is better than anything Taylor Swift has ever wrote. Call me when Taylor Shitty wins SOTY.

Call me when Sam Smith writes and entire album solo. Sorry to tell you this but Taylor’s songwriting abilities far surpass Sam’s. Mean, White Horse, All Too Well, Blank Space, Treacherous, Better Man, Safe and Sound, and even Our Song are all better written than Stay With Me. Taylor has a shot at two SotY bids this year and will probably win Best Country song for a third time and Sam Smith hasn’t been relevant in 3 years. He won’t have the commercial success to match Ed and the critical success to match Lorde. Not to mention Taylor will also be in the mix for the pop categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    Xtina
    Participant
    Topics:

Get real! Taylor Swift is NOT and has never been a threat in the Pop field, except that one time when that bitch won Best Pop Vocal Album. Call me when Taylor Shitty stops co-writing crap songs with Max Martin about her weak ass love life. If I recall correctly, Sam Smith beat Taylor in ROTY and SOTY. Swift will NOT be getting a SOTY nom this year. Also, Sam Smith doesn’t have to release an album every two years to stay relevant. Take notes T-Shitty!

ReplyCopy URL
    Davebube
    Participant
    Topics:

As generic as Sam Smith may seem to some I’d take an album from him over divide anyday.

However Shape Of You rightfully deserves a ROTY nom and I won’t be mad at a win (Though I’d personally prefer Humble or Thats What I Like) but him winning Pop Vocal Album I don’t see it happening.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eric Close
    Participant
    Topics:

Come on Eric, you can’t defend Ed Sheeran’s writing. It is that bad.

Sure I can, and trust me, I’m not a fan of him or most pop artists in general. But the dude has put out some pretty well-written songs in the past – “The A Team”, “Thinking Out Loud”, “Bloodstream”, “Love Yourself” (Bieber’s voice, his lyrics) – and just cause he jumped the shark with “Shape of You” and the majority of Divide doesn’t mean he can’t be relied upon to construct a good song when asked to. Same with Taylor.

Get real! Taylor Swift is NOT and has never been a threat in the Pop field, except that one time when that bitch won Best Pop Vocal Album. Call me when Taylor Shitty stops co-writing crap songs with Max Martin about her weak ass love life. If I recall correctly, Sam Smith beat Taylor in ROTY and SOTY. Swift will NOT be getting a SOTY nom this year. Also, Sam Smith doesn’t have to release an album every two years to stay relevant. Take notes T-Shitty!

This is almost embarrassing. You do realize that the only reason she’s never been a threat in the Pop field is cause she spent the early part of her career relegated to the Country field? Trust me, now that she’s a certified pop star, she’ll find the exact same success there that she found with Country music in the past. She’ll no doubt have stronger competition in the Pop field, but given her history, I’m pretty sure the only pop artist who can give her a genuine run for her money is Adele. Ed and Gaga, not a chance.

Smith won over “Shake it Off” because we’ve entered an era of Adele adoration where the good voice and minimalist music always wins over the minimalist voice and good music. Trust me, if Smith sounded like Sheeran, that award would’ve gone to Taylor (though I would’ve preferred Sia’s “Chandelier”).

And how has Smith stayed relevant since he put out that one album that got him four Grammys? He won the Oscar, but after that he faded back into obscurity. You assume everyone is sitting around talking about Smith when there have been no publicly announced advancements in his career or personal life? No. Pop stars are not relevant 24/7 as most people believe. Unless they’re running for office, making headlines for saying and doing stupid things, starting a charity, or getting married/having a kid, no one knows or cares what they’re doing. The only reason people pay attention is when they announce or release a new album. Hence, Smith hasn’t been relevant since the Oscar.

ReplyCopy URL
    JasonLannister
    Participant
    Topics:

That discussion about songwriting is very strange. I think Taylor, Ed and Sam knows how to write the hits. In my personal opinion if Sam Smith releases an album with lyrics like his last album it can yes be better than the lyrics of Divide. But that doesn’t mean Ed Sheeran is a bad songwriter, God sake ‘Thinking out Loud’, ‘Photograph’ and others are so fucking good.
    I’m not a fan of Taylor herself nor her music, but I have to say that the girl keeps coming back with songs that make success, that got revelant in the music industry. So of course she knows how to write stuff, how to make a song that is appealing for listeners.

ReplyCopy URL
    Rinolo Twenty-two
    Participant
    Topics:

Let’s be honest, if it wasn’t for Max Martin, Taylor would have disappeared after Speak Now, which was a disappointment after Fearless and forgettable considering she apparently “wrote” everything there.
    Expect another mediocre catchy song like “Shake It Off” or “We are Never Ever Getting Back Together” in August just to qualify and get some undeserved nominations at the grammys.

ReplyCopy URL
    no one
    Participant
    Topics:

Hmm Taylor has 5 consecutive albums sell over 4 million copies in the US and she would have disappeared. Interesting theory backed up by nothing but your resentment.

ReplyCopy URL
    Final2
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s been 3 years since her last release and she’s still relevant. Heck everytime she make an appearance she has a article written about her. Also her last hit wasn’t written with Max Martin and it was still a huge success and will probably be nominated this year for Pop Duo/Group. Not to mention she wrote arguably the best written song of the year solo and is a front runner for SotY.

As of right now she has a great shot at 3 nominations already, without a lead single. SAM SMITH ISNT RELEVANT, and hasn’t been since 2014.

ReplyCopy URL
    Final2
    Participant
    Topics:

Let’s be honest, if it wasn’t for Max Martin, Taylor would have disappeared after Speak Now, which was a disappointment after Fearless and forgettable considering she apparently “wrote” everything there.
    Expect another mediocre catchy song like “Shake It Off” or “We are Never Ever Getting Back Together” in August just to qualify and get some undeserved nominations at the grammys.

Speak Now is a Country Album and produced a lot of country hits with “Mean” being named the best country song of this millennia by rolling stone. It was also the last album by a woman to have two #1 county hits and Taylor won two Grammys for it. The album is fantastic considering it was written entirely by a teenager with songs like Mean, Sparks Fly, Back To December, and Enchanted are absolutely amazing.

Also Max Martin while amazing has helped Taylor but she’s helped him too seeing as his work on Witness is all garbage. He benefited more from working with Taylor than she did.

If what you saying is if it wasn’t for Max Martin Taylor would of disappeared is kind of insane, considering even though Speak Now didn’t match Fearless in sales or singles it was still a huge success. Selling over four million copies and every single song charting on the Hot 100. It was a country album and was the #1 country album of the year. Had Taylor stayed in country she still would of dominated, maybe not in singles considering the shape of country music at the moment but album sales would of been huge.

Name another artist who absolutely changes the complete sound of her music with every album, and still manages success. No Taylor hasn’t won Song or Record of the Year but she’s managed to accomplish so many other things.

I just don’t understand how people think Sam Smith is even in the same building as Taylor Swift let alone the same level. Massively overrated and completely mediocre songs. Stay With Me shouldn’t of won SotY over Chandelier.

People think great voices are all you need to be the best.

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Time for a new thread

ReplyCopy URL
    only_one
    Participant
    Topics:

For anyone that thinks the A-Team is well written. Please revisit it. I adored that song but it is one of the most corny-ly written songs. EVER.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  only_one.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

Can we get back to talking about the Grammys?

ReplyCopy URL
    Eric Close
    Participant
    Topics:

Well, for the time being, I still see the Album race being between Kendrick, Sheeran, Lorde, A Tribe Called Quest and Bruno. Even if Smith puts out a good album, I doubt they’re gonna brush off the success of “Shape of You” and leave out Divide in favor of him. ATCQ is a shoe-in given the political climate this year, they need a female in there for variety and Lorde has the best album, and the last spot is going to a dark horse or it’ll be between Bruno, Weeknd and Drake. Bruno had the bigger hits between the three, so I say they’ll give him the nod.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1,186 through 1,200 (of 2,302 total)
Reply To: 2018 Grammy Award Discussion

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.