Home Forums Music 2018 Grammy Final Pop Field Predictions

2018 Grammy Final Pop Field Predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 221 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +12 hidden )
replies
views
users
  • neverkneel
    Participant
    Topics:

I wonder if Katy Perry will submit all her collaborations for Best Pop Duo/Group Performance, apart from “Feels”:

– “Chained To The Rhythm” – Katy Perry featuring Skip Marley
    – “Swish Swish” – Katy Perry featuring Nicki Minaj
    – “Bon Appétit” – Katy Perry featuring Migos

Even one of them doesn’t have a real chance to get a nomination. Submiting all of them would end up with zero nom.

She will probably choose “Chained To The Rhythm” to submit since it’s the most successful one among them and written by Sia who has more respect than Katy in the industry. The second choice would be “Swish Swish”, which has become more popular than the lead single although it tanked on charts. “Bon Appetit” is a pathetic excuse for a song and won’t be submitted if Katy has learned from her mistakes.

The real question: Which category will “Feels” be submitted for? Pop or dance? If they submit it for pop duo, Katy’s all songs will be ignored by the Academy without a second thought. Of course, this doesn’t mean that song is a lock, but has more chance to get a nom than Katy’s all songs have combined.

ReplyCopy URL
    darrenc95
    Participant
    Topics:

Some people are really predicting Kesha.

Of course. Everyone loves a comeback story, even the Grammys. And Kesha’s in particular sends a message that is very timely in 2017 with growing discussions of feminism, sexism, and rape culture. But above that, her album is really good and has the acclaim to show for it.

The new music is also a drastic departure for the stuff she was snubbed for in the past. And Kesha seems to be well-liked in the industry, especially after coming forward about her abuse.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  darrenc95.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Xtina
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, voters are NOT going to care about Kesha’s “comeback story.”

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, voters are NOT going to care about Kesha’s “comeback story.”

Honey, Kesha’s album is the 3rd best selling album by a female during this eligibility period. Only Gaga and Katy Perry outsold her because both have solid fan bases. So it’s not far fetched that she will get a nomination. Joanne and Rainbow are pretty similar. So I don’t see why Joanne is likely and Rainbow isn’t.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Billboard posted a video where they predicted: 1. Divide by Ed Sheeran 2. 24K Magic by Bruno Mars 3. Joanne by Lady Gaga 4. Rainbow by Kesha 5. Tell Me You Love Me by Demi Lovato 6. Melodrama by Lorde (interesting that they think this album will have a tough time being remembered for even this category. They argue that it just doesn’t have the radio support that is needed for the pop field.)

I don’t see the logic for Billboard including Demi Lovato here. Do they think she will get a nomination due to sales? First week US sales (SPS) for female ‘pop’ artists this year – perhaps not a complete list and we need to include Joanne (Lagy Gaga) which was over 200k in 2016. Katy Perry – Witness – #1 – 180k Kesha – Rainbow – #1 – 117k Lorde – Melodrama – #1 – 109k Lana Del Rey – Lust for Life – #1 – 107k Halsey – Hopeless Fountain Kingdom – #1 – 106k Demi Lovato – Tell Me You Love Me – #3 – 73k Miley Cyrus – Younger Now – #5 – 47k Or perhaps due to critical acclaim (metacritic)? Lorde – Melodrama – 91 Kesha – Rainbow – 81 Lana Del Rey – Lust for Life – 78 Demi Lovato – Tell Me You Love Me – 72 Lady Gaga – Joanne – 67 Halsey – Hopeless Fountain Kingdom – 66 Katy Perry – Witness – 52 Or perhaps due to a currently charting single, which is more of an indication that she should get a nomination in Best Pop Solo Performance than Best Pop Vocal Album. My best guess at this stage: Ed Sheeran – Divide Bruno Mars – 24K Magic (if he submits to pop) Lorde – Melodrama Lady Gaga – Joanne Kesha – Rainbow * * The #5 slot could go to Harry Styles Could Paramore submit their album to pop and would Harry Styles submit his album to the Rock categories?

Lmao Metacritic is total B.S…

The two locks (Divide & 24K Magic) have low metacritic scores (62 and 70 respectively). So I wouldn’t use that for reference.

ReplyCopy URL
    Danilo Angelus
    Participant
    Topics:

Best solo pop performance

1. Lady Gaga – Million Reasons

2. Bruno Mars – That’s What I Like,

3. Kesha – Praying

4. Harry Styles – Sign Of The Times

5. Sam Smith – Too Good At Goodbyes

Maybe: Kelly Clarkson – Love So Soft

A surprise: Shawn Mendes – There’s Nothing Holdin’ Me Back

ReplyCopy URL
    Xtina
    Participant
    Topics:

Get Real! Voters do NOT care if Kesha has the third best selling album by a female or whatever this year. No one cares about her flop ass.

ReplyCopy URL
    romit98
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, I never said Ed Sheeran is “loved” by the academy. At the moment, he is more popular and well-liked with voters than Lady Gaga is.

Bruno Mars is easily the most well-liked among this year’s pop contenders. Ed Sheeran is also very well liked but Lady Gaga has never really been an academy favorite.

ReplyCopy URL
    Robinladen
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, I never said Ed Sheeran is “loved” by the academy. At the moment, he is more popular and well-liked with voters than Lady Gaga is.

Bruno Mars is easily the most well-liked among this year’s pop contenders. Ed Sheeran is also very well liked but Lady Gaga has never really been an academy favorite.

I dont really get this. Yes Gaga got payed dust for “ARTPOP”, but for example even Beyoncé only received one minor nomination for “4” and that album even sold double of “ARTPOP”. Bey did win it too, but it was still surprising the album itself wasn’t nominated. My point is just that there are very little pop artists that will get backed by the academy if the success isn’t there. The Grammy’s have given Gaga best dance album, best pop album and best traditional pop album. Ed Sheeran is liked at the moment, but not because he’s a Grammy favorite, only because he’s succesful. That’s it. I can easily see him disappearing completely from the Grammy radar in a few years.

ReplyCopy URL
    Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

It wasn’t surprising that Bey wasn’t nominated for major noms for 4 because at the time, it was considered a flop and/or underwhelming for her career, especially after the global smash that was IASF. Of course, we know today that 4 is nowhere near a flop.

ReplyCopy URL
    Xtina
    Participant
    Topics:

Actually, 4 was nominated for two Grammys – Best Rap/Sung Collaboration (“Party”) and Best Traditional R&B Performance (“Love on Top”).

ReplyCopy URL
    BreakerofChains
    Participant
    Topics:

Eventhough 4 was a flop/underperformed, it really was surprising that she didn’t get an album nod or R&B performance nod that year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

If they really (and I mean really) wanted to nominate her this year, she only has three things they could go for and I only see them doing it for Mi Gente.

ReplyCopy URL
    Renan Gonçalves
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Pop Solo Performance

1- Million Reasons, Lady Gaga
    2- That’s What I Like, Bruno Mars
    3- Too Good At Goodbyes, Sam Smith
    4- Shape Of YouEd Sheeran
    5- Love So Soft, Kelly Clarkson

Best Pop Duo/Group Performance 

1- 1-800-273-8255, Logic feat Alessia Cara, Khalid
    2- Wild Thougths, DJ Khaled feat Rihanna, Bryson T.
    3- I Feel It Coming, The Weeknd feat Daft Punk
    4- Despacito, Luis Fonsi & Daddy feat Justin Bieber
    5- Feel It Still, Portugal. The Man

Best Pop Vocal Album

1- Divide, Ed Sheeran
    2- 24K Magic, Bruno Mars
    3- Melodrama, Lorde
    4- Joanne, Lady Gaga
    5- Tell Me You Love Me, Demi Lovato

ReplyCopy URL
    Robelto
    Participant
    Topics:

Grammy for Best Pop Solo Perfomance

“Shape of you” – Ed Sheeran

“That’s What I Like” – Bruno Mars

“Sign of the Times” – Harry Styles [Deserving winner for me]

“Million Reasons” – Lady Gaga

“Too good at goodbyes” – Sam Smith.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 221 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.