Home Forums Music 2018 Grammy for Best New Artist: Is this an especially slow year?

2018 Grammy for Best New Artist: Is this an especially slow year?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 61 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
44 mins ago
replies
views
users
  • Daniel Montgomery
    Participant
    Topics:

Is Alessia Cara still eligible? This might be a good year for her to swoop in if she still is.

ReplyCopy URL
    RadioGAGAhead
    Participant
    Topics:

Sampha just won the Mercury Prize. I have long thought that he could be a contender, but I am also doubtful that him, Khalid, and SZA would all be able to make it in.

ReplyCopy URL
    ProfessorChaos
    Participant
    Topics:

Cashmere Cat has had a great year producing for artists like Halsey, plus his debut album (which came out this year) had two minor hits with “Trust Nobody” ft. Selena Gomez & Tory Lanez, and “Quit” ft. Ariana Grande and co-written by Sia. He definetely has the connections, since artists like Kehlani, Jhene Aiko, Ty Dolla $ign and Ariana Grande are in his album (all Grammy nominees)

He also produced a good portion of The Weeknd’s Starboy album.

ReplyCopy URL
    ProfessorChaos
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m going to mention Marshmello. One year on the scene & he made the Forbes list of highest paid EDM acts ($22 million).

ReplyCopy URL
    Daniel Montgomery
    Participant
    Topics:

Revised list of BNA candidates on my list:

**Aminé
    **Brett Young
    **Cardi B
    **Chris Janson
    **Chris Lane
    **James Arthur
    **Jon Pardi
    **Julia Michaels
    **Kane Brown
    **Khalid
    **Kodak Black
    **Kyle
    **LANY
    **Lauren Alaina
    **Lil Uzi Vert
    **Migos
    **Noah Cyrus
    **Post Malone
    **Rag’n’Bone Man
    **Sampha
    **SZA
    **21 Savage
    **Vic Mensa

Some of my questions marks who might be too established? or maybe had too many tracks/albums to be eligible? or maybe have submitted multiple times before? or disqualified due to previous nominations? Let me know if anyone has thoughts on eligibility for these artists:

Alessia Cara
    Bryson Tiller
    Halsey
    Kehlani
    Old Dominion
    Zara Larsson

ReplyCopy URL
    circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

I would add Dave East to the list.

ReplyCopy URL
    Oscar Rodriguez
    Participant
    Topics:

Is Alessia Cara still eligible? This might be a good year for her to swoop in if she still is.

She is elegible for a BNA nomination, however I don’t know if she’ll get it. Her breakthrough was late 2015 through 2016. 2017 has been a great year for her, but I don’t know if she’s still considered new

ReplyCopy URL
    Dan Jo Galicia
    Participant
    Topics:

In country music we have artists like Midland, Carly Pearce and Brett Young who are new, as well as people like Jon Pardi and Lauren Alaina who are not exactly “new” but who had their breakthrough this past year and would be eligible. I personally would love to see Midland nominated… they are a bit “old school” and have great buzz in Nashville coming out of their first #01 on country radio. In terms of success (being critically and commercial), Jon Pardi would be the best choice… he’s on his way to get a 3rd #01 in a row and his album got some pretty enthusiastic response from both critics and the general public.

Agreed. Midland and Jon Pardi are considered as the Next Big Thing of country music. If NARAS voters heard enough of them they can sneak in. They should campaign hard.

ReplyCopy URL
    alex00g2
    Participant
    Topics:

FOR YOUR GRAMMY CONSIDERATION: WHERE DOES ALESSIA FIT?
    http://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=308428

Cara was passed over for a Best New Artist Grammy nod last year, despite being a very worthy contender. And although we think she should have been nominated last year, and inside sources have told us that she was voted into the Top Five, there is no reason that we can find to eliminate her from this year’s consideration.

Perhaps Julia Michaels, SZA and Khalid aren’t quite as safe as we think. I could see Alessia Cara getting a nomination and displacing Julia or another potential nominee.

ReplyCopy URL
    Daniel Montgomery
    Participant
    Topics:

Thanks for directing me to Hits Daily Double. I remember now that they were very helpful last year, and they have this helpful overview of the Best New Artist race:

http://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=308269

They say Migos and Lil Uzi Vert are ineligible because they’ve released to much music, but I wonder how the recording academy is counting them. Are EPs and mix tapes the same as “albums” in their eyes? Does something self-released or independently released with less exposure count the same as a major label release? I could see someone toiling away for a few years releasing their own music online until a big break with a major label gets them widespread exposure. The Grammy rules would seem to deem such an artist ineligible for Best New Artist.

This might be the Grammys’ most confusing year for this category just in terms of eligibility since I’ve been following them.

FOR YOUR GRAMMY CONSIDERATION: WHERE DOES ALESSIA FIT?
    http://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=308428

Cara was passed over for a Best New Artist Grammy nod last year, despite being a very worthy contender. And although we think she should have been nominated last year, and inside sources have told us that she was voted into the Top Five, there is no reason that we can find to eliminate her from this year’s consideration.

Perhaps Julia Michaels, SZA and Khalid aren’t quite as safe as we think. I could see Alessia Cara getting a nomination and displacing Julia or another potential nominee.

ReplyCopy URL
    KingHStylespics
    Participant
    Topics:

Harry Styles

ReplyCopy URL
    Oscar Rodriguez
    Participant
    Topics:

Harry Styles

Not elegible

ReplyCopy URL
    24fanatic
    Participant
    Topics:

If Alessia Cara is nominated, she will easily win.

Khalid and SZA should be safe bets for nominations. The final 2 spots are completely up for grabs.

ReplyCopy URL
    JGibson
    Participant
    Topics:

Is Dua Lipa eligible?

ReplyCopy URL
    alex00g2
    Participant
    Topics:

Thanks for directing me to Hits Daily Double. I remember now that they were very helpful last year, and they have this helpful overview of the Best New Artist race: http://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=308269 They say Migos and Lil Uzi Vert are ineligible because they’ve released to much music, but I wonder how the recording academy is counting them. Are EPs and mix tapes the same as “albums” in their eyes? Does something self-released or independently released with less exposure count the same as a major label release?

To be eligible in the category of Best New Artist, an artist, duo, or group:

* Must have released a minimum of five singles/tracks or one album, but no more than 30 singles/tracks or three albums in their career to date.
    * May not have entered into this category more than three times, including as a performing member of an established group.
    * Must have achieved a breakthrough into the public consciousness and impacted the musical landscape during the eligibility period.

https://www.grammypro.com/grammy101

I suspect that anything that is not classified as part of an “album” will be counted as “tracks”. Perhaps Migos and Lil Uzi Vert have too many “tracks”.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lil_Uzi_Vert_discography

It does seem a bit unfair on some of the smaller artists who might have released a large number of tracks (including collaborations?) and then find mainstream success at a reasonably young age, only to find that they are no longer eligible.

The “established group” rule, means Harry Styles isn’t eligible.

Dua Lipa has one album and handful of singles, so she should be fine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dua_Lipa_discography

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 61 total)
Reply To: 2018 Grammy for Best New Artist: Is this an especially slow year?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.