Album of the Year 2010

Home // Forums // Music // Album of the Year 2010

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Marcus222
    Topics:

Everybody generally agrees that the 2010 Album of the Year line-up was one of the worst in Grammy history, but nobody ever discusses how this line-up could’ve been changed for the better. How would the nominees look if they were up to you ? 

For Reference, here it is :

Fearless – Taylor Swift
    I Am … Sasha Fierce – Beyonce
    The E.N.D – Black Eyed Peas
    The Fame – Lady Gaga
    Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King – Dave Matthews Band

Gucci
    Topics:

This line-up was atrocious. 

Beyonce and Black Eyed Peas had no business even being nominated.

I don’t particularly care for Lady GaGa and Taylor Swift being nominated, but I can understand why.

Maxwell should have been nominated and won.  Swift’s win is disgusting. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Renaton
    Topics:

My line-up would be:

Veckatimest, Grizzly Bear
    BLACKsummers’night, Maxwell
    Fever Ray, Fever Ray
    It’s Blitz, Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    The Renaissance, Q-Tip

But that line-up isn’t realistic. So based on that year’s nominees, I’d say:

Fearless, Taylor Swift
    The Fame, Lady Gaga
    Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix, Phoenix
    Black Ice, AC/DC (it didn’t win Rock Album, but neither did Dave Matthews, but this one sold more and they were overdue of GF recognition).

If you’d have that line-up, even then Taylor would’ve probably won (two rock albums splitting votes, Maxwell not popular enough, Gaga’s album too uneven…), but at least the line-up wouldn’t so embarassing and there would’ve been representation from different branches and less popstar focused.

ReplyCopy URL
    MovieManiac405
    Participant
    Topics:

This would have worked much better… for me anyway

ALBUM OF THE YEAR
    Florence + The Machine – Lungs
    Regina Spektor – Far
    Taylor Swift – Fearless (so sue me…)
    U2 – No Line on the Horizon
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs – It’s Blitz

ReplyCopy URL
    Richard Aniston
    Participant
    Topics:

Here how my noms would look:

Wolfgang Amedeus Phoenix – Phoenix
    BLACKSummersNight – Maxwell
    Man on the Moon: The End of Day – Kid Cudi
    808s and Heartbreak – Kanye West
    Its Blitz – Yeah Yeah Yeahs

ReplyCopy URL
    Renaton
    Topics:

I forgot about 808 & Heartbreak. That was my favorite 2008 album along with Hercules & The Love Affair. I would’ve defintely put that one over AC/DC. But unfortunately, Kanye was out for a snub anyway. 

Also, MovieManiac, Florence wasn’t eligible in 2010. The american release of Lungs was in October 2009, thus making the band ineligible for a nom.

ReplyCopy URL
    Daniel B.
    Participant
    Topics:

My line-up would be:

Veckatimest, Grizzly Bear
    Fever Ray, Fever Ray
    It’s Blitz, Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    The Renaissance, Q-Tip

But that line-up isn’t realistic. So based on that year’s nominees, I’d say:

Fearless, Taylor Swift
    The Fame, Lady Gaga
    Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix, Phoenix
    Black Ice, AC/DC (it didn’t win Rock Album, but neither did Dave Matthews, but this one sold more and they were overdue of GF recognition).

If you’d have that line-up, even then Taylor would’ve probably won (two rock albums splitting votes, Maxwell not popular enough, Gaga’s album too uneven…), but at least the line-up wouldn’t so embarassing and there would’ve been representation from different branches and less popstar focused.

Veckatimest was such an amazing album. It’s a shame it didn’t get nominated for Alternative Music Album.

I think your “realistic” list of replacement nominees is pretty close to what I would pick as well. Personal bias (and thus Grizzly Bear) aside, Maxwell and Phoenix, Grammy winners for Best R&B Album and Alternative Music Album, respectively, both got amazing reviews, and thus stick out as being some of the more snubbed albums. Even stranger is that Maxwell’s album was a big seller, and he racked up 6 nominations that year, so you think he’d have the momentum to take him into the AOTY lineup.

For me, one of the the more perplexing nominations that year were Dave Matthews Band (the outcome of the Rock Album category reflected that), however, I’m not sure any of the nominees from that genre category really deserved to be in AOTY. U2 and Green Day’s albums were critical and commercial disappointments, and while the reviews for AC/DC weren’t bad, they certainly weren’t universally acclaimed either.

The other really nomination that I was annoyed with was the Black Eyed Peas. While their success that year exceeded expectations, Eminem and Kanye West’s albums didn’t quite live up to their predecessors, and like U2 and Green Day, were dismissed from the AOTY discussion.

I’m somewhat okay with Beyoncé being in the lineup (perhaps it doesn’t seem as bad by contrast to BEP and DMB). She did have the highest-selling eligible album, after Taylor Swift. However, I’m sure they could have come come up with a better album. Disappointments or not, Kanye, U2 and Green Day’s albums all scored in the low to mid-70s range on Metacritic, which only two of that year’s AOTY nominees were able to do (Swift and Lady Gaga).

On that note, I think Swift and Gaga deserved their nominations. Among the top-selling albums of the year, hit singles, and most importantly, strong reviews.

So, my list of what that year’s nominees should have been:

Lady GagaThe Fame
    MaxwellBLACKsummers’night
    PhoenixWolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
    Taylor Swift – Fearless
    final slot: Kanye West – 808s & Heartbreak (one of the top 10 best-selling albums that year, with several huge hit singles and a Metacritic score of 75).

alternates (considering Kanye’s album was MIA that year): one of the representatives from the Rock Album category–either AC/DC (overdue, and the best-selling nominee), U2 (the best-reviewed nominee) or Green Day (the winner of the category). 

ReplyCopy URL
    Renaton
    Topics:

Yeah, I would put Kanye before AC/DC as well. Sales were great, and it had two top 3 singles (can you imagine Kanye getting that today?). It would’ve looked weird for the sole nomination to be AOTY, but so be it. I would also have Kanye over YYY’s on my personal line-up. But again, being realistic, they were never gonna nominate Kanye. Everything was stacked up against him. The Taylor Swift controversy was too fresh in people’s minds, he submitted pop, it was (and still is) his least acclaimed studio album, and there was some complaints among rap fans for his direction on the album. He was simply not getting in. 808 & Heartbreak is an album that has gone through a very positive revision among Kanye fans after MBDTF, but it’s still polarizing. And a Kanye nomination would only help the narrative of Taylor winning even more.

I agree that I’ll never understand the inclusions of BEP and Dave Matthews, but Beyonce to a lesser degreee also helped make the line-up a bit worse. I like some of the singles from the album, but I think this was her weakest album yet and it was clear it was nominated based on sales and singles, as the actual thing is a complete mess. Which is why I put AC/DC there, even though I don’t really care about them. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus222
    Topics:

My realistic nominations following the Typical Grammy protocol would’ve looked like this :

Fearless – Taylor Swift
    BLACKSummer’s Night – Maxwell
    Merriweather Post Pavilion – Animal Collective
    Black Ice – AC/DC.

One thing I find odd about that year was how Animal Collective were completely shut out of the Grammys, even in the Alternative field, despite having the most critically acclaimed album and having decent sales compared to Wolfgang Amadeus Pheonix. It wasn’t my favorite, but it was in my top 5 and MPP definitely deserves that critical spot.

If the winner was up to me, I would’ve given it to Maxwell over Animal Collective and 808s though, While Animal Collective is the most deserving, BLACKsummers Night was a great comeback, had good sales, and we haven’t seen an R&B winner in years.

ReplyCopy URL
    circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

4 of those albums made a huge impact. Don’t see why that particular set of nominees are so horrible.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

Here how my noms would look:

Wolfgang Amedeus Phoenix – Phoenix
    BLACKSummersNight – Maxwell
    Man on the Moon: The End of Day – Kid Cudi
    Its Blitz – Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Great choices. Mine was pretty much the same, but swap out Maxwell for U2’s ‘No Line On The Horizon’ (maybe their most underrated album). 

ReplyCopy URL
    Gucci
    Topics:

^ Really? 

Maxwell’s BLACKsummers’night was like the best album released in 2009. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Pieman1994
    Participant
    Topics:

Album of the Year – 2010
    Merriweather Post Pavilion – Animal Collective 
    Hospice – The Antlers 
    Veckatemist – Grizzly Bear
    Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix – Phoenix 
    xx – The xx

I don’t care how alternative/indie-centric these selections are. 2009 was an incredible year for music. Just because NARAS has shitty taste doesn’t mean everything else has to be the same way. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

^ Really? 

Maxwell’s BLACKsummers’night was like the best album released in 2009. 

I’d only switch out Maxwell’s because I still have not listened to it. :/

ReplyCopy URL
    Graeme O’Neil
    Topics:

It’s not some classic album, but I would have given it to Black Eyed Peas. Huge hits, and it’s an album that you can play start to finish as a party album. It’s fantastic pop music. It’s not deep, it’s not profound, but every track is a great time. Why is that so bad?

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
Reply To: Album of the Year 2010

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.