Carly Rae Jepsen: New Album “E•MO•TION” (8/21)

Home // Forums // Music // Carly Rae Jepsen: New Album “E•MO•TION” (8/21)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Longoria
    Participant
    Topics:

I know CRJ gets alot of flack for being a “One Hit Wonder” but her new album “E•MO•TION”, according to many music critics, is getting “Pop Album of the Year” praises so far. And trust me the buzz is definitely correct. 

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop-shop/6663835/carly-rae-jepsen-e-mo-tion-new-album-interview

She’s doing what Taylor Swift wanted (but failed) to do by creating a throwback 80’s Pop album. I can’t stop listening to the 7 songs she’s released via her VEVO page but Warm Blood  co-written and produced by Vampire Weekend’s Rostam Batmanglij is my absolute favorite right now. It gives me a “Robyn” type feel and I absolutely adore Robyn. I think CRJ’s a very underrated Pop artist and while I’d love to see some Grammy noms come her way, I know she probably won’t b/c she’s not a commercial success like Swift. 

Any thoughts?  

james14
    Participant
    Topics:

I know CRJ gets alot of flack for being a “One Hit Wonder” but her new album “E•MO•TION”, according to many music critics, is getting “Pop Album of the Year” praises so far. And trust me the buzz is definitely correct. 

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop-shop/6663835/carly-rae-jepsen-e-mo-tion-new-album-interview

She’s doing what Taylor Swift wanted (but failed) to do by creating a throwback 80’s Pop album. I can’t stop listening to the 7 songs she’s released via her VEVO page but Warm Blood  co-written and produced by Vampire Weekend’s Rostam Batmanglij is my absolute favorite right now. It gives me a “Robyn” type feel and I absolutely adore Robyn. I think CRJ’s a very underrated Pop artist and while I’d love to see some Grammy noms come her way, I know she probably won’t b/c she’s not a commercial success like Swift. 

Any thoughts?  

The best pop album in years.  “Warm Blood”, “All That”, “Your Type”, and “Run Away With Me” are all fantastic.  This album is among my top 5 of the year easily, along with Sufjan Stevens, Kendrick Lamar, Father John Misty, and Donnie Trumpet.

ReplyCopy URL
    moviefan61794
    Participant
    Topics:

This is such a fantastic album, and although I fear it won’t, it really deserves attention from the public and Grammys. Fortunately, the critics seems to be all over it. There are multiple hit singles waiting here, but people really ditched Carly so soon after “Call Me Maybe” (sure, she had “Good Time” with Owl City, but she had some hits-in-waiting on that album including the should’ve-been-an-easy-#1 “Tonight I’m Getting Over You”). The original post mentions how “Emotion” does what “1989” couldn’t do, and as much as I love that album, I have to agree — the 80’s theme runs much stronger and to much greater effect here, yet it never gets too cheesy or overwhelming. It’s an 80’s feel in 2015.

“Run Away With Me,” “Gimmie Love,” “Making the Most of the Night,” “Your Type,” “L.A. Hallucinations,” and “When I Needed You” are the personal highlights for me. This might be my favorite album of the year. I really hope Carly can get solid sales and maybe even a well-performing radio single or two from this, she really deserves it.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Longoria
    Participant
    Topics:

I totally agree moviefan6179! I can’t stop listening to this album. I find myself listening to “When I Needed You” over and over. I too loved Swfit’s “1989” but IMO, the only thing “80s” about it was the title. CRJ seems more at ease with her success/place in Pop music in interviews for this album. The pressure is off and it’s definitely worked in her favor. This album is fire! She’s totally underrated. 

ReplyCopy URL
    mikeboy898
    Participant
    Topics:

SO digging Emotion. It’s a fantastic album. “Warm Blood” is one of my favorite songs this year. What a pop gem!

She is (and this album will be) truly underrated, I totally agree.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gucci
    Topics:

Honey, this album will be D.O.A.

ReplyCopy URL
    Longoria
    Participant
    Topics:

Gucci, just because it’s DOA doesn’t make it any less of a great album. There are many great albums that weren’t best sellers. And CRJ said it herself, it ain’t about the #s, it’s about the music. Smile

ReplyCopy URL
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

I haven’t been able to hear the whole album yet, but “All That” and “Warm Blood” are two of my favorite pop songs of the year, maybe two of my favorite songs in general. I’m especially addicted to “Warm Blood”. 

ReplyCopy URL
    MovieManiac405
    Participant
    Topics:

I think no matter what, it won’t be as D.O.A. as, say, “Lotus” was…

I think she’ll score at least a Top 3 debut… Maybe #1, b ased on how little is out there right now

ReplyCopy URL
    mikeboy898
    Participant
    Topics:

Carly could care less about commercial success – read her Billboard article. She’s just trying to make good music. This is a tremendous attempt for her to be finally taken seriously in the pop world.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gucci
    Topics:

Honey, Carly Rae Jepsen better start caring about commercial success.  She is an album away from being dropped from her label and being a complete has-been (she already is the latter part, no shade).

ReplyCopy URL
    mikeboy898
    Participant
    Topics:

She’s making stellar pop music, better than most are doing right now. I support her.

ReplyCopy URL
    moviefan61794
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, Carly Rae Jepsen better start caring about commercial success.  She is an album away from being dropped from her label and being a complete has-been (she already is the latter part, no shade).

No, you want Carly Rae Jepsen to care about commercial success because it gives you something to drag her about. Her album is getting great reviews and she’s getting press for it. Granted, she’s not had a hit single, and we don’t know how album sales will go. But commercial success is only one part of the formula and it is not everything, honey

ReplyCopy URL
    Longoria
    Participant
    Topics:

Another great article via Rolling Stone showcasing the writing process for the new album out Friday. I didn’t know one of the producers she worked with (All That) was Dev Hynes aka Blood Orange. It all makes perfect sense now…. Head Bang

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/how-carly-rae-jepsen-broke-call-me-maybe-mold-20150819 

ReplyCopy URL
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

Having listened to the album in full now a few times, it is the best pop album of the year so far and one of my favorite albums of the year in general. She and her collaborators have crafted a perfect pop album, one that deserves the praise that it is getting.

It now snatches the Best Pop Album title from Adam Lambert’s ‘The Original High’, another terrific collection of pop songs that is ironically also not getting the commercial success it deserves. Why is the general public sitting on these artists? 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
Reply To: Carly Rae Jepsen: New Album “E•MO•TION” (8/21)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.