Home Forums Music Grammy 2014 AOTY (which rap album gets in?)

Grammy 2014 AOTY (which rap album gets in?)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
Daniel B.
st_jimmy
PoweR
  • Daniel B.
    Participant
    Topics:

Most Album of the Year lineups at the Grammys since 2000 have included at least one rap/hip-hop album.

Which of this year’s strong rap contenders do you think is most likely to get nominated for Album of the Year?

circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

Kendrick >>>

It astounds me that people aren’t considering him to be a more serious player in AOTY. I think he’s in.

ReplyCopy URL
    Renaton
    Topics:

It’s Kendrick vs. M&RL. The first one is hurt for the fact that it doesn’t have a pop hit. The second will either play very well with voters or not have enough support in the rap field to pull off an AOTY. They could both be nominated, just one be nominated, or neither be nominated.

Out of the rest, I was only see Drake with some shot, but he needs a big hit soon to pull it off.

ReplyCopy URL
    Music Forever
    Participant
    Topics:

Definately Kendrick Lamar. If its gonna be two then J.Cole should get in also. BTW, Kendrick doesnt need top 40 hit to get in AOTY. Its not like no one knows who he is. He’s the most talked about/acclaimed rapper right now.

ReplyCopy URL
    circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s Kendrick vs. M&RL.

TBH I could see both getting in. Kendrick has the acclaim and Macklemore had the biggest breakthrough in 2013. I think The Heist could show up in AOTY if they receive nods across the board in GF, Pop, and Rap. 

ReplyCopy URL
    GoMe91
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Macklemore has the best chance. I think he would deserve it also. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Daniel B.
    Participant
    Topics:

Definately Kendrick Lamar. If its gonna be two then J.Cole should get in also. BTW, Kendrick doesnt need top 40 hit to get in AOTY. Its not like no one knows who he is. He’s the most talked about/acclaimed rapper right now.

You’re right, he doesn’t need a Top 40 hit to get into AOTY. But he already has three:

• Swimming Pools (Drank) – #17
    • Poetic Justice – #26
    • B****, Don’t Kill My Vibe – #32
    ReplyCopy URL
    Gucci
    Topics:

Kendrick Lamar.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis (I still don’t get why people are ignoring them) and/or Kendrick Lamar.

Kendrick just doesn’t have a crossover hit to really pull it off, nor does he have the type of industry buzz Frank Ocean had (and you know what type I’m talking about).

The Heist has produced hit after hit, had solid acclaim and is currently sitting high on the Billboard charts. Macklemore & Ryan Lewis have a bigger chance than Kendrick Lamar.

Jay-Z is not getting in.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gucci
    Topics:

Honey, I would not be so quick to dismiss Jay-Z.  He could get into AOTY based on name/veteran status.  I know his album received mixed reviews, but that has not stopped the NARAS from nominating their favorite acts.

ReplyCopy URL
    Final2
    Participant
    Topics:

Kendrick hes gonna be the weird album that gets in. M&RL dont have that nice of an album lost of hits dosnt make a good album. Look at Brittany Spears.

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

Eminem has an album coming out I think that will be eligable. Gotta go w Slim Shady

ReplyCopy URL
    Daniel B.
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, I would not be so quick to dismiss Jay-Z.  He could get into AOTY based on name/veteran status.  I know his album received mixed reviews, but that has not stopped the NARAS from nominating their favorite acts.

I’m having a hard time remembering any veteran acts who made their debut in the AOTY lineup with the worst-reviewed album of their career. 

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Jay-Z won’t be getting in because he has been passed over for bigger and better albums. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Daniel B.
    Participant
    Topics:

Jay-Z won’t be getting in because he has been passed over for bigger and better albums. 

I completely agree with you. 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
Reply To: Grammy 2014 AOTY (which rap album gets in?)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.