Grammy 2014 AOTY (which ROCK album gets nominated?)

Home // Forums // Music // Grammy 2014 AOTY (which ROCK album gets nominated?)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Daniel B.
    Participant
    Topics:

Most Album of the Year lineups at the Grammys have included at least one rock album.  Which album from the genre do you think is most likely to be nominated for AOTY this year?

There were a lot of other choices I wanted to include that I could see theoretically getting nominated (Atoms for Peace, Black Sabbath, Elvis Costello/The Roots [does that count?], John Fogerty, Phoenix, Rod Stewart, Tegan & Sara, Neil Young & Crazy Horse, etc.), but unfortunately was limited to the number of options I could include, so I tried to include to the ones that currently have better GoldDerby odds. If yours isn’t listed, vote for other (remember, Imagine Dragons is not eligible this year), and specify which rock album you think is most likely to get nominated. 

Renaton
    Topics:

Elvis Costello and The Roots will go either hip-hop or urban contemporary, because it’s not a rock album. If it goes alternative (and I could see it happening), i still don’t think it will be seen as a “rock” album.

I think it really has come down to Bowie versus Vampire Weekend. Out of the two I’ll go with Bowie, for the big comeback story, because he is adored in the indie/alternative world, because working with Arcade Fire (he has a song in the new album) will remind voters of him, and because the past few years there have been nominee is long running, loyal fanbases (like FF and White). I had predicted White on account of voters loving him, and I’m predicting Bowie this year.

I’m more open on Vampire weekend being the nominee. I thought initially it was too soon to say. While I still don’t think they have the fanbase and support bands like Arcade Fire, Radiohead and White Stripes had when they got nominated (and neither doe stheir album feel as emblematic as those ones), I do think the absence of crossover indie bands help them, and the fact most of their direct competition seems ot have lost too much buzz or not met the acclaim necessary to be a factor. 

So it could be either of them, but I’m going with Bowie. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus222
    Topics:

Vampire Weekend would’ve had a bigger chance if Diane Young reached the top 20, but it doesn’t have huge commercial success or Arcade Fire level acclaim so I think it’s gonna be Bowie.

ReplyCopy URL
    Richard Aniston
    Participant
    Topics:

Definitely MVitC. The other albums just don’t have the acclaim and hype that MV does.

ReplyCopy URL
    MovieManiac405
    Participant
    Topics:

I think they might skip over Rock this year… but I only see Kings of Leon and Vampire Weekend getting in, if they do chose one. Very unlikely though.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gucci
    Topics:

No Rock album will be nominated this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    TV12
    Participant
    Topics:

At least one alternative/rock album has made in AOTY for 25 years straight, at the least. This year will be no different.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gucci
    Topics:

Don’t hold your breath.  There is a first time for everything.

ReplyCopy URL
    Renaton
    Topics:

With BRP, it’s harder I think. There are bound to some rock voters that demand recognition to their genre in GF.

ReplyCopy URL
    AroundU
    Topics:

I agree that there is a first time for everything. There is good chance that Rock doesn’t get nominated in AOTY this year.

It has been a weak year for Rock IMO.  

If i was to rank the chances of getting into AOTY..

1. David Bowie 
    2. Vampire Weekend 
    3. QOTSA 
    4. Paramore

If none of the above make it, then it could also go to a Rock/Alt act who has a chance of getting in BNA. I know they are long long long shots but HAIM/Jake Bugg…

ReplyCopy URL
    TonyKuKo
    Participant
    Topics:

I understand all the buzz about David Bowie but I think his chances are slim. He’s never been a NARAS darling. His 4 nominees and 1 win in the early 80s (at the peak of his career) are a proof of that. It is also a big disproportion considering how big he used to be during that time. Yes, he holds a Lifetime Achievement Award but so do tons of other artists who have never received a ‘competitive’ Grammy.

If there is a rock/alt. spot to be filled this year -which I don’t think so- is Vampire Weekend. They have both the sales, acclaim and popularity.

ReplyCopy URL
    st_jimmy
    Participant
    Topics:

I wouldn’t be completely shocked if rock is shut out this year. There was a lot of rock last year. Last year the category skewed rock even if the acts weren’t “traditional rock.” 

However, I will say that if a rock album gets in it won’t be David Bowie and it isn’t in regards to the quality of the album. I think it’s clear the Grammys have gone more current the past four years and I don’t see them switching back any time soon. Hell they may even structure the category for a Justin Timberlake win if the second album can carry as much buzz as the first. The Grammys were starting to face backlash when all the oldies started winning almost by default. There have been numerous chances to do the same thing the past four years and the Grammys have passed over these “veteran” acts each time. Until proven otherwise (which, hey, there’s always a first time) I won’t be predicting a David Bowie-like act to make it in to AOTY. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m going with the “None” option too.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Daft Punk will take the “edgy” spot that rock usually occupies.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gucci
    Topics:

I agree with the above post.  Daft Punk is the closest thing to “Rock” as the Grammys will get in AOTY this year.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
Reply To: Grammy 2014 AOTY (which ROCK album gets nominated?)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.