Home Forums Music GRAMMY Bait Albums of 2010s..So Far

GRAMMY Bait Albums of 2010s..So Far

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

We’ve all heard the phrase “Oscar Bait” in relation to films that were tailor-made for Academy Award consideration. 

Now…think about this idea in terms of music. Which albums of the 2010’s (so far) was or seemed like the biggest GRAMMY bait. It doesn’t necessarily have to be a record that won or was even nominated. 

Consider album titles, subject matter, writing, instrumentation, and obvious conventions that would appeal to voters. Discuss below. 

Gucci
    Topics:

Honey, watch everyone post “Adele, 21.”  Posters have been on her nuts since 2011. 

ReplyCopy URL
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

The concept of Grammy Bait seems very difficult to apply to the majority of albums, it’s not really as easy as Oscar bait. 

None of the albums in the poll seem like Grammy Bait the same way those Oscar Bait movies look right from the start with the exception of Cheek to Cheek or maybe 20/20 Experience.

Who would’ve guessed the Chasing Pavements girl was going to end up with 21 being what it is/was? What has Lana Del Rey done to be considered bait? Specially considering that if she were bait, every single bait of hers has failed to catch on with voters (even Oscar voters). A new artist is difficult to see as Grammy bait until said artist becomes popular (Sam Smith), you can spot an Oscar Bait film right from the announcement of the project.

This term should only apply to things like Raising Sand, River: The Joni Letters, Genius Loves Company, Cheek to Cheek, the post controversy Taking the Long Way and so on. Albums that you just know the Grammys will fall for easily and we all predicted them as nominees and winners at one point or another because of the subject matter, artists, collaborations and so on.

But To Pimp a Butterfly? No.

ReplyCopy URL
    Final2
    Participant
    Topics:

Really the only time there’s Grammy bate is when they release right after of right before the deadline.

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

That’s kind of hard to say what a Grammy bait album is. I would say it would be any Grammy favorite’s follow up album so Babel, 21, and Cheek to Cheek fit that company 

ReplyCopy URL
    smurty11
    Participant
    Topics:

I think that GRAMMY bait can be defined as music that is easily digestible by the older voters in the Academy. I think they would be in this order: pop rock/soft rock, folk, and blue-eyed soul. It can all be defined as easy-listening. Nothing too loud unless it was a cultural phenomenon, that is the exception.

My favorite has to be The Suburbs. That album, in my opinion, is the best album of the 2010s and maybe of the 21st century.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

I think that the albums that mostly defined the Grammy bait category are Steely Dan’s Two Against Nature and Ray Charles and Friends’ Genius Loves Company.

Now, the best Grammy album of the 2010s is Adele’s 21, the most successful album financially and critically so far in my lifetime (since June 4, 1996). 

ReplyCopy URL
    circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

Sam Smith, In the Lonely Hour – The title alone sounds like awards bait. To top it off, post-break up/heartbreak material is very relatable to a vast audience. He’s also a UK singer/songwriter with soul and pop appeal (i.e. Amy Winehouse, Adele, Duffy, etc.). “Stay with Me” was the perfect first single to represent the entire album as a whole.

Adele, 21 – Seems like the obvious choice. Previous GRAMMY winner who achieves commerical and critical success with just the power of her voice and songwriting. As with Smith, 21 had a storyline that was endearing and heartfelt. 

Kendrick Lamar, To Pimp a Butterfly – Contrary to what Benicio del Toro thinks, TPAB has a prestige that will appeal to Rap and general voters. For starters the album is already one of the most critically acclaimed of the year..so far. It isn’t structured with radio-friendly hooks and singles like most conventional Hip-Hop records. There’s a socially conscious message that Lamar evokes throughout with a real sense of grit and integrity. 

Frank Ocean, Channel Orange – His coming out definitely helped. But either way, he is a respected songwriter with a soulful, old school but contemporary sound. CO will go down as one of the most influential R&B records of the decade. 

Lady Gaga/Tony Bennett, Cheek to Cheek – As proven by past collaborative albums, GRAMMY voters are suckers for 2 established artists coming together for 1 cohesive effort. Especially when one of those artists has a 100+ year career and over 200 golden trophies on his mantle.

Justin Timberlake, The 20/20 Experience – This was a GRAMMY bait album that surely backfired LOL. As much as I enjoyed the album, it was clear JT was fishing for GRAMMYs. Starting with the promotion and finally with the release of Part II around voting time. 

Lana Del Rey, Born to Die – Cue pretenious album title, nostalgic vibes, and songs about heartache. BTD could’ve been a major GRAMMY contender had it not been for her disastrous SNL performance. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Final2
    Participant
    Topics:

I think that the albums that mostly defined the Grammy bait category are Steely Dan’s Two Against Nature and Ray Charles and Friends’ Genius Loves Company.

Now, the best Grammy album of the 2010s is Adele’s 21, the most successful album financially and critically so far in my lifetime (since June 4, 1996). 

Actually 21 wasn’t that critically acclaimed in comparison to MDTF and TPAB it just got very positive reviews. It is however one of my favorite album of the decade.

ReplyCopy URL
    mikeboy898
    Participant
    Topics:

JT’s 20/20 Experience didn’t initially seem like a Grammy bait album, but after he released the somewhat unnecessary and superfluous Part 2 right before the Grammy eligibility deadline in 2013, that sealed his fate as Grammy bait!

Mumford’s Babel SOUNDS like Grammy bait which is why it won.

Adele’s 21 is a classic sounding, timeless album which is also why it’s Grammy bait.

ReplyCopy URL
    Richard Aniston
    Participant
    Topics:

Don’t know about Albums, but Just Give Me A Reason is definitely a Grammy bait song.

ReplyCopy URL
    Noé
    Participant
    Topics:

Kendrick Lamar, To Pimp a Butterfly – Contrary to what Benicio del Toro thinks, TPAB has a prestige that will appeal to Rap and general voters. For starters the album is already one of the most critically acclaimed of the year..so far. It isn’t structured with radio-friendly hooks and singles like most conventional Hip-Hop records. There’s a socially conscious message that Lamar evokes throughout with a real sense of grit and integrity. 

Frank Ocean, Channel Orange – His coming out definitely helped. But either way, he is a respected songwriter with a soulful, old school but contemporary sound. CO will go down as one of the most influential R&B records of the decade. 

It is a great album with the intention of being its best possible. Both are. That’s hardly a bait – at least to the GRAMMY’s.

ReplyCopy URL
    circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

Don’t know about Albums, but Just Give Me A Reason is definitely a Grammy bait song.

Biggest GRAMMY bait song: Kanye West f/ John Legend & DJ Khaled – “Grammy Family”  

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.