Grammys 2008 AOTY (should have been nominated)

Home // Forums // Music // Grammys 2008 AOTY (should have been nominated)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Daniel B.
    Participant
    Topics:

While two of the most obvious frontrunners (Kanye West‘s Graduation and Amy Winehouse‘s Back to Black) were rightfully included in the Album of the Year lineup in 2008, the remaining three nominees were fairly perplexing: Foo FightersEchoes, Silence, Patience & Grace, Vince Gill‘s These Days, and perhaps the most perplexing of all was the eventual winner, Herbie Hancock‘s River: The Joni Letters, which peaked at #118 (!) before his post-Grammy win sales boost.

While there didn’t seem to be one clear snubbed artist (like say when Kanye West’s My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was absent from the AOTY lineup in 2012), it seemed that there were far more deserving albums that should have made the lineup instead of Foo Fighters, Vince Gill and Herbie Hancock.

Who do you think was most snubbed from the lineup? I tried to include artists who had a lot of buzz, were expected to make the lineup, hit albums, critical darlings, and albums that performed well in genre categories. Sorry if I left out the one you think was most snubbed. If so, vote for “other” and specify your choice in a reply.

What do you think the lineup should have looked like? Did the Grammys choose the right five?

Daniel B.
    Participant
    Topics:

While Arcade Fire would be my personal favourite from the list of nominees, and while I also would have loved to see McCartney in the lineup, the most surprising omission for me was Bruce Springsteen, whom I was predicting to win that year. At the time, I was predicting an AOTY lineup consisting of Kanye West, Amy Winehouse, Bruce Springsteen, and Paul McCartney. Can’t remember who I had predicted in my 5th slot. Probably either the White Stripes or Fall Out Boy (Infinity on High).

In my opinion, Herbie Hancock will always go down as one of the most disappointing AOTY wins in Grammy history. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Alijah Purdy
    Participant
    Topics:

I thought Vince Gill deserved to be in that lineup. That was his best album by far, and the best country music album released that year. It was very deserved IMO.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gucci
    Topics:

None of the above.

I was fine with the AOTY nominees that year. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Daniel B.
    Participant
    Topics:

I thought Vince Gill deserved to be in that lineup. That was his best album by far, and the best country music album released that year. It was very deserved IMO.

Of the three “surprise” nominees that year, I was the most fine with Vince Gill’s critically-adored ambitious box set being there. I love it when the Grammys go with critical darlings over mainstream successes that aren’t as well-received. I’m glad that if a country album were to be represented, that it was the one they went with.

On the other hand, for the rock slot, Foo Fighters’ nomination wasn’t terrible, but it certainly was an odd inclusion, as nothing about it really made it stand out in any way. Modest reviews, modest sales, modest airplay, modestly-respected within the industry (or so I thought). Another rock album would have been welcome, potentially Arcade Fire, Bruce Springsteen, the White Stripes, etc.

I’m mostly annoyed about Hancock’s nomination. Sure, he’s a veteran recording artist technically overdue for a Grammy, but if they wanted to go that route, why not go for an even bigger (and arguably thus more overdue) legendary recording artist who actually had a critically-acclaimed, much higher-selling album full of original recordings (not just covers)? Aside from his one win with the Beatles, Paul McCartney has never won AOTY (although the other three ex-Beatles have), and holds the distinction of having the most AOTY nominations without winning, and with two nominations, Bruce Springsteen has also never won. And it’s not like jazz was a category that needed to be represented in the AOTY lineup. The genre is rarely recognized there, so why start with that one?

ReplyCopy URL
    circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

GGGB by Rihanna

ReplyCopy URL
    Renaton
    Topics:

I love Rihanna, but she didn’t really become the awesome popstar she is now until Rated R. That album has good songs and a lot of hits, but also a lot of filler. And she didn’t sound as invested in the whole thing as she did in albums like Rated R, Loud and Unapologectic.

I went with LCD Soundsystem. I truly believe it was one of the best albums of the decade, and actually better than all of the nominees (even Kanye and Amy). I knew it didn’t stand a chance at an AOTY nom, but it would’ve been deserved had it happened. But Aracde Fire, M.I.A. and Paul McCartney would’ve been very deserving of noms as well.

Also, that was the Foo Fighters’ weakest album yet. Shocking they went with that one over Paul and Arcade Fire. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Daniel B.
    Participant
    Topics:

Oh well, I suppose Arcade Fire’s win for The Suburbs somewhat made up for the lack of AOTY noms for the just-as-deserving Funeral and Neon Bible.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ryan Earle
    Topics:

Herbie Hancock got nominated and won because of all the artists he collaborated with.

ReplyCopy URL
    Max 2.0
    Topics:

GGGB by Rihanna

Truer words were never spoken! Though Amy deserved the win. That album is just too good.

ReplyCopy URL
    MovieManiac405
    Participant
    Topics:

I can’t believe Herbie won that year… It wasn’t even that good for a Joni cover album. The songs dragged to no end, and the whole thing was fairly sleep-inducing. And I love a good jazz album! Arcade Fire, of course, should have been nominated, and won, for that year.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: Grammys 2008 AOTY (should have been nominated)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.