Mariah Carey at the 1996 Grammy Awards – Discuss

Home // Forums // Music // Mariah Carey at the 1996 Grammy Awards – Discuss

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Richard Aniston
    Participant
    Topics:

One of the most controversial moments in the history of the Grammy
    Awards was the night Mariah Carey was completely shut out and the 38th
    Grammy Awards. Daydream was one of the most critically and commercially
    successful albums of its year and many critics at the time believed it
    would clean up at the Grammys of that year. It received six nominations
    including Album of the Year and Record of the Year. She lost every one
    of them to much surprise and controversy. I’m going to analyze each
    nomination she lost and I’ll give my two cents on whether or not she
    should have won.

Best Female Pop Vocal Performance for “Fantasy”
    -Lost to “No More I Love You’s” by Annie Lennox

Can’t
    say I disagree with the Academy on this one. I love Fantasy a lot, but
    Annie’s vocals on this were very powerful and you could hear the
    emotion. Fantasy is a a very catchy and has an infectious hook, but
    can’t deny NMILY amazing vocal prowess.

Best Female R&B Vocal Performance for “Always Be My Baby”
    -Lost to “I apologize” by Anita Baker

I
    personally would have chosen Always Be My Baby. I apologize is amazing.
    Anita’s voice oozed soul. But Mariah on this tracked just sounded so
    damn good. She spread her vocal wings on this track.

Best Pop Vocal Album for “Daydream”
    -Lost to “Turbulent Indingo” by Joni Mitchell

In
    my opinion, Mariah definitely should have won this one. The sucess and
    acclaim of Daydream was too much to ignore. It was without a doubt the
    best pop albums of that year. Joni’s a legend, but that award was
    Mariah’s.

Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals for “One Sweet Day”
    -Lost to “Have I Told You Lately” by The Chieftains and Van Morrison

I
    also think Mariah and Boyz II Men should have taken home the trophy for
    this category. One Sweet Day spent 16 weeks at the number one spot on
    the Billboard Hot 100, the longest run at #1 in the history of the
    charts and Mariah and the Boyz voices meshed beautifully.

Record of the Year for “One Sweet Day”
    -Lost to “Kiss from a Rose” by Seal

I
    agree with the Academy on this one. Seal’s vocals were amazing, the
    production was fantastic, and instrumental arrangements were superb.
    Although, One Sweet Day would have been a deserving winner as well.

Album of the Year for “Daydream”
    -Lost to “Jagged Little Pill” by Alanis Morrisette

For
    me, either one of these albums were equally deserving of the honor, so I
    don’t have an issue with JLP winning. It was a huge commercial success
    and was critically acclaimed as well. She is a great writer and Glen
    Ballard handled production of the album incredibly well. It is one of
    the best albums of the 90s.

Now
    that you’ve read what I had to say, what are some of your thoughts on
    this controversial night? Did you think she should have won something?
    Do you think that NARAS got it right and she should have been shut out?
    Do you think NARAS lost their minds and she should have won every award
    that she was nominated for? Let us know!

BTN
    Participant
    Topics:

Her sitting in the front row all night! Sad!

ReplyCopy URL
    Gucci
    Topics:

Mariah Carey deserved to lose a lot of her nominations.  1995 was a great year in music and the 1996 Grammy Awards reflected that.  I would’ve given her two wins that night (Best Pop Collaboration With Vocals and Best Pop Album).

Let’s take a closer look:

RECORD OF THE YEAR:

The winner, Seal’s “Kiss From A Rose,” and TLC’s “Waterfalls” were better choices that “One Sweet Day.”

ALBUM OF THE YEAR:

I mean, c’mon!  Jagged Little Pill kicks ass!  Alanis Morissette was the best option here.

BEST FEMALE POP VOCAL PERFORMANCE:

Annie Lennox delivered an incredible, haunting vocal with “No More ‘I Love You’s’.”  Can’t go wrong with that win.

BEST POP COLLABORATION WITH VOCALS:

“One Sweet Day” was deserving here.  So was “Scream.”  I would have given Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men the win.

BEST POP ALBUM:

Carey’s Daydream would have been my pick for the win, but Joni Mitchell’s Turbulent Indigo was worthy. 

BEST FEMALE R&B VOCAL PERFORMANCE:

Anita Baker ruled this category in the early to mid 90’s.  Her win here was totally expected.  Plus, “I Apologize” is a killer track.  Mariah had no chance here. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Troy
    Topics:

I am a huge Mariah fan, as most of you know.     Of course, I do not think Mariah should have went home empty handed.  I actually agree with Gucci and the two wins he would have given her:  Best Pop Collaboration and Best Pop Album.  I understand her losing all the other nominations, but not those two, considering other superstar female singers have won for lesser quality material (Celine winning AOTY for example).  

“Jagged Little Pill” is one of the best albums by a solo female artist of all time, so it richly deserved its AOTY win. 

Considering her success, longevity, and influence, it is hard to believe she only has 5 Grammys. 

ReplyCopy URL
    mariahisonfire
    Participant
    Topics:

Bringing up this topic is almost as painful as rewatching her sit in the front row all over again losing those damn awards! It was a crime! As you know by my name, I am a huge fan but I will be fair. I do agree that she should of at least walked out of there with 2 awards.

Best Pop Female Vocal:

At the time, I couldn’t understand why she lost this award but that was a tough category so I’m ok with it.

Best Pop Album:

With all due respect to Joni Mitchell, that album had no place beating Daydream.

Best Pop Collaboration:

Just pitiful that it lost to a track that should of never won…. Pure disgusting…. This was Mariah’s and Boyz II Men’s on a platter.

Best R&B Female:

In retrospect, I still would have given this to “Always Be My Baby.” At the time of the nominations, that song wasn’t very big and was almost dare I say an album track that was nominated and then became a single in 1996 after the award show.

Album of the Year:

Tough category but I’m ok with Jagged Little Pill winning because it was a cutting edge album. Point. Blank. Period.

Record of the Year:

I actually loved all 5 nominees and in some way think that they were all deserving of the award. I actually would of had her lose this one so she could of won at the 2006 Grammy awards with “we belong together” which should have won hands down.

I really think the blue ribbon panel had something either against Tommy Mattola or he did some shady business and tried to make her lose on purpose because of marital problems(i wouldn’t put it past him…. this was the same man who did take records she was recording and put it on another artist album first but i digress). This taught us just how difficult the categories were back then and the real talent it took to get nominated and win. If she had released the album and had the same success per se this past year, we would be discussing exactly why she won all 6 awards but its a different time period now.    

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Hmm. I don’t remember a lot of surprise or controversy, nor a lot of critics predicting Mariah would win a lot. Daydream was better received than her earlier albums, but it certainly wasn’t considered the best album of the year. Critics were all about PJ Harvey or Tricky or Elastica, and among the nominees most of them were about Alanis, who also had six nominations and was really the one most people were predicting to win a lot (and she did). Remember that this was just a year or two into the “blue ribbon panel” era, so NARAS was actively trending against merely voting for the most popular choices (like “One Sweet Day”) and trying to make up for previously snubbed artists (like Joni Mitchell and Van Morrison).

Mariah surely got some coverage for having that many nominations without a win, but no more than other artists in other years — and again, I’ve no idea who actually thought she was going to sweep anything.

ReplyCopy URL
    Troy
    Topics:

I don’t think anyone was necessarily predicting Mariah would sweep. but I clearly remember several pundits and publications predicting she would win at least 2-3 awards.  And there was discussion afterward about her losing all of her nominations.  I clearly remember that also.   

No artist prior to Mariah that year had been nominated for that many Grammy’s without winning at least one trophy.  It was discussed afterward.  Daydream was a MASSIVE album that sold over 10 million copies, produced three #1 singles, including the longest running #1 song of all time, and set countless other records.  It was complete surprise that she was completely shut out because prior to that, artists who achieved similar success with an album at least walked a way with a trophy.   

ReplyCopy URL
    Robert Russaw
    Participant
    Topics:

I remember watching the Grammys that year, thinking that Mariah would get 2-3 awards, but I knew that Alanis Morissette would probably win Album of the Year.   I did think, however she would win Pop Album and Pop Collaboration.

ReplyCopy URL
    circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

Pop Collaboration and Album should’ve been her’s.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

I agree that Pop Album and Pop Collaboration should have gone to Mariah, while the others went to deserving winners. Looking at her competition, her only real chances were Pop Album and Pop Collaboration, which went to longtime vets. Mariah’s competition was just wildly strong. Besides her success that year, Mariah didn’t really have much of a narrative either.

ReplyCopy URL
    alokin
    Participant
    Topics:

Lord knows, I am also one of Mariah’s biggest fans. Heck, Mariah Carey, Emotions, Music Box, Daydream and Butterfly virtually carried me through most of my adolescence, so I’ll always have a strong emotional attachment to Mariah’s earliest albums.

But having said that, I too must contend that considering the stiff competition she was up against that particular year, I can’t say she was truly robbed of a win (yes, perhaps even Pop Vocal Album) EXCEPT for in one category, and that’s Best Pop Collaboration. “One Sweet Day” is a stunning track and it’s one of those rare collaborations where all the vocals mesh beautifully together and in absolute harmony. Mariah and Boyz II Men took this song to a whole new level and they were highly deserving of a win here. Plus, “One Sweet Day” has become such an iconic song over the years, to the extent that I’ve yet to attend a memorial or funeral service where this moving song wasn’t an integral part of the ceremony.

In retrospect, this is a perfect example of a track that was probably appreciated not nearly enough at the time by voters to grant it a win, but that has kind of taken on a special life of its own in the years since, to the point where, now, we can look back and ask ourselves, “How could the Academy get this one wrong?!”

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: Mariah Carey at the 1996 Grammy Awards – Discuss

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.