September 2, 2014 at 10:35 am #400807
Of these five legendary ladies, who was the BEST ? Who was the most talented ? Released the most consistent albums ? Left the most impact in their prime ? I’m torn and I can’t seem to pick one but I’m leaning towards Whitney or Mariah Carey.September 2, 2014 at 11:02 am #400809
There is about to be some fanboy wars up in here! LOL
Mariah is my personal favorite of the bunch, but I am not going to have blinders on and say she is the best in all categories. I, do, however, think her catalog is one of the strongest of the group. I also think she is probably the most talented when you consider her ability as a vocalist AND songwriter.
I think Celine is a great singer, but she would be 5th in all categories for me. Overall, the quality of her catalog does not touch the others.
Janet is great, but obviously isn’t as strong as vocalist. However, she has some truly great albums
Madonna probably has the best catalog next to Mariah. You cannot argue her impact, though her last several albums have been terrible.
Whitney is also a great vocalist. One of the best However, I compare her with Celine in that I don’t see a lot of variation and growth throughout her career.
This is really tough because I like each of them for various reasons. However, my overall pick would come down to Mariah or Madonna.September 2, 2014 at 11:16 am #400810
I love all of these ladies and they all have a great legacy. However, Madonna is the clearly the leader on all accounts (except for actual vocal talent if that is being considered). She’s the most successful, most iconic, sold the most albums and singles and has had the longest career of the ladies (and that is no dig on the other ladies as they are amazing in their own right).September 2, 2014 at 12:10 pm #400811
The icon Whitney “The Voice” Houston. An excellent singer with a strong catalog of music. She influenced many vocally.
Janet Jackson had a strong catalog of albums from Control to The Velvet Rope. She was not a great vocalist.
Mariah Carey is a great singer. She has a very mediocre and uneven catalog of music.
Madonna is a terrible vocalist. You can’t deny the cultural impact she’s made. She also has a strong catalog of albums pre-2000’s.
Celine Dion bores me to tears, but she has a nice voice. Her songs are very bland and forgettable.
5.Celine DionSeptember 2, 2014 at 12:34 pm #400812
Whitney – Most Talented
Mariah – Most Impactful
Celine – Has a Killer voice that is the most disntinct out of the group
Madonna – Most Iconic
Janet – probably the most diverse in terms of what she doesSeptember 2, 2014 at 7:48 pm #400813
Music Videos: Madonna
Sales: Madonna (WW) / Mariah (US)
Most Awards: Whitney
Overall: WINNER – Madonna aka The Queen of Pop (Runner Up: Mariah)September 3, 2014 at 5:42 am #400814
Celine: not a very impressive catalog but the fact that she can still sing as good as she did 20 years ago means a lot. None of the other ladies can say that. Certainly not Houston and Mariah who at one point were comparable to Celine. She took care of her voice much more than she did her music, though. But she kept it very adult contemporary throughout her carreer, which is why she can still make money like others can’t.
Whitney: she has some amazing songs, but she released like 5 albums in 20 years? I don’t remember. But she is an icon, however I’m not sure that without The Bodyguard she would’ve made it as far as she did as an Icon. The other ladies had much more than that.
Mariah: she’s a mess, but before she went crazy she was IT. Insane voice, great songs (I don’t think she ever had a “great” album), very influential with her style. But she became a mess and now she can’t even release an album properly, look at all that nonsense with her last record. But she’s still way too young and like other actors and musicians, could still have another comeback soon enough.
Madonna: common, not the best singer but what can you say? Her catalog is still impressive after all this years, her last few albums were a bit of a mess too but you can’t deny the power this woman has. Others might have the voice, but she has the carreer and can still make tons of money with a tour from a mediocre album, that says a lot. She carries the Icon label better than any of these other women.
Janet: there’s a thread asking “is Gaga over”. Maybe they should open one about Janet, it seems a more legitimate question without the bichy fanboy hater angle that that thread could easily end up with. She had her moment, but her last comeback came 13 years ago (yes, that long) thanks to a single track (All For You) and that album is awful. Other than that, I doubt anybody can remember what she did next, except the Superbowl incident. Nobody seems to care anymore.
I think all these women are iconic as hell, some more than others, various degrees of success, and will forever be remembered as huge stars. I also believe any of us would shit out pants if we get tickets to one of their concerts, see them on the street, a book signing or something or if they release one great single and/or album again.
I think Madonna is the easy winner here.September 3, 2014 at 6:10 am #400815
Madonna by a mile.
I’m not even particularly a fan pf hers but she’s the undisputed Queen of Pop for a reason.September 3, 2014 at 6:30 am #400816
Madonna gets my vote, and it’s not even a close call there.September 3, 2014 at 9:50 am #400817
1) All Time Top Solo Act in Billboard Hot 100 and all time most top 10 hits.
2) #2 female album wise in the US (after Streisand) and biggest female worldwide.
3) Biggest solo artist by FAR Tour wise. (and going still strong with the biggest World Tour of 2012)
4) Only one in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame so far (and on her first year of eligibility)
5) Taking into account other markets like the UK, Europe and Latin America she is also the biggest star by far in every aspect.
Talent, impact and consistent albums are debatable but I think not taking into account her voice, she is the best one.
After her Whitney, then probably Mariah (although her big problem is that she is very US centric and can’t do tours for shit). Janet and Celine are good but they are in another (below) league.September 3, 2014 at 10:51 am #400818
Something about Whitney Houston! I don’t think any other female artist has ever had an era like The Bodyguard. She even still managed to go Platinum with her last album.September 3, 2014 at 3:14 pm #400819
I’m happy to see, despite love or hate, that the majority agrees with Madonna (or at least Mariah) being the leader of the pack.September 3, 2014 at 7:56 pm #400820
I’ve always found most of early 90s Mariah really boring and bland, with all the AC pop fluff she released. She slowly became a better artist at the end of that decade, but she’s only released 2 good albums this century. Eek. One of the most gifted vocalists to ever grace the earth but alot of her material just lacked quality (as far as albums go).
Whitney is my favorite female vocalist ever, but I admit some of her material was weak as well. She was a fantastic live performer (very undderated in that department) and vocalist, though, who deserved all of her success.
Celine made horrible, bland music and has a nasally, grating, & supremely overrated voice. She’s She definitely doesn’t deserve to be mentioned with the likes of Whitney and Mariah as part of the “Vocal Trinity” imo.
Madonna and Janet easily had the best material out of the 5 ladies mentioned. Ironically, they’re also the least vocally talented. They pushed the boundaries of what a female artist could be in the 80s and 90s, and have influenced almost all the newer artists of today. Madge and Janet were briliant performers and artists, and none of the other artists mentioned in this thread will ever have an album as great as The Velvet Rope, Rhythm Nation, janet., Ray of Light, or Like a Prayer.September 28, 2016 at 7:31 am #1201928586
I’ve been listening to their Musics mostly this year, and I found out that the Best of ’em was Mariah Carey. I hate listening to the artists that liked or admired by others with an absence of skills, x-factor and originality. Although all of ’em (Mariah, Whitney, Celine, Madonna and Janet) has it, still, if the topic is about album, singles and a real outstanding talent of a singer through her vocal, I gotta go to Mariah.
Whitney has the most powerful voice, Celine has the most beautiful attitude, Madonna got the eyes of the crowd in terms of performing on the stage and Janet got the move on the dance floor but why Mariah got my sympathy? Because every time I hear the word “singer”, my mind reminds me like…Hey, it’s Mariah..that’s it 🙂September 28, 2016 at 2:52 pm #1201928840
My rankings are as follows:
1. Whitney Houston: That voice alone qualifies her as the most talented of the group. Add to that her iconic music videos and you have probably the most gifted performer of her generation.
2. Mariah Carey: Mariah scores highly because of her songwriting which gives her an edge on the other ladies in this group. She has been such a prolific writer it is hard to ignore. Add to that her legendary voice and you have a very talented performer. You also need to consider the incredible influence she has had on popular music, and for which she is rarely given credit. She was the first major pop artist to collaborate with hip-hop artists; a trend that is now the dominant force in music. Her style of music clearly influenced the generation behind her, including her vocal runs and technical performances, the impact of which can be seen in younger artists like Christina Aguilera, Jessica Simpson and others who have tried to emulate Mariah’s signature style of singing.
3. Madonna— I was pretty close to calling this a tie between Madonna and Janet, but Madonna gets the slightest of edge here for her overall impact on popular culture. In many other areas such as vocals, iconic music videos and ability to transform their looks/style for each project they are virtually tied; but what Madonna has over Janet is the fact she is Madonna. Even if her vocals weren’t the strongest or her dances weren’t the most impressive, Madonna’s ability to cultivate interest, controversy and attention for herself is unmatched and even with arguably weaker material at times Madonna always elevated her music by simply being Madonna. Madonna has also arguably a more diverse catalog as she has tried many different styles of music from rock songs to hip-hop, to ballads and dance numbers. She has arguably gotten out of her comfort zone more than Janet has. Even if the results weren’t always successful.
4. Janet Jackson—- Again, it was very close. Almost a tie, but while Janet arguably is a better dancer she loses out because she simply hasn’t experimented with as many styles of music and has basically stuck to R&B and dance numbers. While she is very good at it, it has likely limited the impact her career could have today. Perhaps she would be more fondly remembered by the mainstream audience if she had taken more musical risks like Madonna had.
5. Celine Dion— Celine is a powerful vocalist and that is about it. She can’t dance, she doesn’t write her own music and she has rarely tried to be more than a successful ballader. Her catalog of music is the weakest of this group and she is the least memorable of these performers.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
3 years ago
1 year ago
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)