Possible Grammy Records in 2012

Home // Forums // Music // Possible Grammy Records in 2012

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
Created
6 years ago
Last Reply
6 years ago
replies
views
users
  • TV12
    Participant
    Topics:

This year could prove to be a record-breaking or tying one at the Grammys.
    -Of course the main one is Adele, who if she won all six of her nominations will tie Beyonce (2010) for the most Grammys by a female in a single year.
    -Also, every winner in each newly created category will be the inaugural winner in those categories.
    -If Bon Iver’s “Holocene” wins Record or Song of the Year it will be the first indie winner since 1998 when Shawn Colvin won both for “Sunny Came Home.” It would be only the second ever.
    -If “All of the Lights” were to win Song of theYear it would be the first rap song to do so.
    -If Nicki Minaj or J. Cole won Best New Artist, they would be the first solo rap artist to accomplish that feat.
    -If Amy Winehouse were to win for her duet with Tony Bennett for “Body and Soul” she would be the first posthumous performer win in a major category since Ray Charles in 2005.
    -If Taylor Swift wins Best Country Album for “Speak Now” she’ll tie Roger Miller as the person with the second most wins in the category behind the Dixie Chicks.
    -If Kenny Chesney wins either of his two nominations it will be his first Grammys in his long career.
    -If the Foo Fighters’ “Wasting Light” wins Best Rock Album, it will extedn their record of most wins in the category from 3 to 4.

Add more if you wish and correct me if I was wrong on any.

PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

“If Bon Iver’s “Holocene” wins Record or Song of the Year it will be the first since 1998 when Shawn Colvin won both for “Sunny Came Home.” It would be only the second ever.”

What exactly does this mean? The first what?

I don’t think Pop Group is a ‘major’ category, and I think the last posthumous winner was Static Major for Best Rap Song a few years ago, though I could be wrong.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gucci
    Topics:

Do you mean if J. Cole or Nicki Minaj won Best New Artist, either would be the first rap act to accomplish that feat?

If so, that’s incorrect.  Arrested Development was the first and only rap act to win Best New Artist in 1992.

ReplyCopy URL
    M H
    Participant
    Topics:

If Adele wins all three General Field categories, I think she will become just the second artist to win all four of the General Field categories (she won BNA in 2009). Natalie Cole and Norah Roberts came close, but neither wrote the song they performed that won SOTY. 

She would also become just the seventh artist to win Record, Song, and Album in the same year. The others are Dixie Chicks,  Santana
    Eric Clapton, Christopher Cross, Carol King, and Paul Simon.

ReplyCopy URL
    Cordell Martin
    Participant
    Topics:

Here’s some interstesing facts:

-If Martina McBride loses this year, she will break the record for a female artist with the most nominations and no wins (she has 14 career nominations)!! F.Y.i Brian McKnight holds the record with 16 nominations and no wins. 

-Whoever wins in the Best R&B Album category will win their first Grammy for the their album and in some cases in their career (Kelly Price, Ledisi, Chris Brown & El Debarge).

ReplyCopy URL
    TV12
    Participant
    Topics:

World is Yours, thanks for the tip. I meant pothsumous performing win, so I updated my list. I forgot the line “indie act” in the record about Bon Iver.

Gucci, yes I did mean rap. I consider AD an atlernative group, but they are based around rap/hip-hop. So I changed my list to include “solo rap artist.”

Mysterious, true. Adele would be only the second after Christopher Cross. But he will still be the only one to win all four in the same year, of course until me (in my dreams). And by Paul Simon, I think you mean Simon & Garfunkel for “Bridge over Troubled Water” both the album and the song.

ReplyCopy URL
    M H
    Participant
    Topics:

And by Paul Simon, I think you mean Simon & Garfunkel for “Bridge over Troubled Water” both the album and the song.

Only Paul Simon. Art Garfunkel wasn’t credited as a writer on “Bridge,” so Simon won SOTY by himself.  

ReplyCopy URL
    TV12
    Participant
    Topics:

^^^Well if you’re using that logic, Santana didn’t win SOTY either. None of the members of the band were writers of “Smooth.”

ReplyCopy URL
    M H
    Participant
    Topics:

Ooops. You are right. I thought that Carlos had written the song. 

ReplyCopy URL
    M H
    Participant
    Topics:

World is Yours, thanks for the tip. I meant pothsumous performing win, so I updated my list. I forgot the line “indie act” in the record about Bon Iver.

What do you mean indie? “A Few Small Repairs” was released by Columbia.  

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

If Nicki manages to win Best Rap Album, she would be the first solo female rapper artist to take the trophy. (Lauryn Hill won as a member of The Fugees.)

If Kanye West wins four awards, he will be the most awarded artist of the last ten or something years.

ReplyCopy URL
    Music Forever
    Participant
    Topics:

If Nicki won BNA she’s be the first female rapper to win (didnt Lauryn submit R&B that year ?)

It’s always tricky with Lauryn Hill, Fergie and Nicki when it comes to those records. Fergie will probably win more Rap Grammy’s than Nicki. She’s totally rapping on “All Of The Lights.”

Wouldnt Adele have more Grammy’s than any other solo female from the U.K ? I know Im probably wrong with that.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gucci
    Topics:

Lauryn Hill submitted in General, Pop, R&B, Rap and Production in 1998.  She is considered rap.

ReplyCopy URL
    John Nova
    Topics:

-If Martina McBride loses this year, she will break the record for a female artist with the most nominations and no wins (she has 14 career nominations)!!

That’s sad…

ReplyCopy URL
    James Otto Sweet Heart
    Participant
    Topics:

If Paper Airplane is named Best Bluegrass Album next month, Alison Krauss will be four Grammy awards away from tying the person who currently has the most which is 31. (smiles)

God bless you and Alison always!!!

Holly (a fan of her since 1994)

Go here to check out my most favorite singer James Otto!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiU81KIRZ_Q

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
Reply To: Possible Grammy Records in 2012

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.