Song of the Summer 2013

Home // Forums // Music // Song of the Summer 2013

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • moviefan61794
    Participant
    Topics:

I started this topic last year, and it was pretty fun to see what people had to say. As we approach the beginning of summer, what songs do we think will be blowing up the airwaves? I’ll be back later today to post my list, but share your suggestions!

Graeme O’Neil
    Topics:

Rihanna could have a big summer song, depending on what she releases as the 3rd single…either “Right Now” or “Jump”.

Kelly Clarkson has “People Like Us”.

Beyonce’s “Grown Woman” is gonna be huge.

Taylor Swift’s “22” is still growing.  

ReplyCopy URL
    RadioGAGAhead
    Participant
    Topics:

Selena Gomez’s new song “Come & Get It” is hot and could blow up.
    I hope “Mirrors” is released and get’s bigger too.
    I hate “Right Now”- so annoying and repetitive. Riri should go with “Jump.” 
    I’m still praying for some new Gaga. Otherwise, I’m ready for all the bitches to bow down to Beyonce.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Leonardo
    Topics:

Some of the most likely contenders with a real shot at #1 (multiple weeks) during summer:

Can’t Hold Us – Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
    Just Give Me A Reason – P!nk
    Mirrors – Justin Timberlake
    Jetlag – PSY 
    Katy Perry’s Untitled 3rd studio album Lead Single

Smart money should be behind Macklemore & Ryan Lewis right now. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Max 2.0
    Topics:

Selena Gomez’s new song “Come & Get It” is hot and could blow up.
    I hope “Mirrors” is released and get’s bigger too.
    I hate “Right Now”- so annoying and repetitive. Riri should go with “Jump.” 
    I’m still praying for some new Gaga. Otherwise, I’m ready for all the bitches to bow down to Beyonce.  

This post is hot.

ReplyCopy URL
    moviefan61794
    Participant
    Topics:

I think a lot of the songs mentioned are definitely potential hits. I’m not sure when Rihanna would release a new single considering “Stay” is still going strong at radio, and waiting too far into the summer won’t do a new single any favors. I’m wondering if “Just Give Me a Reason” will hit #1 before the summer because I know a lot of people passionately love that song. It could be a summer hit. Other songs mentioned like “People Like Us,” “22,” “Mirrors,” and “Can’t Hold Us” seem like definites to blow up this summer (especially since the latter just jumped 15-7 on the Billboard charts). The “Come and Get It” mention is interesting, as it is growing on me, but I’d throw in Demi Lovato’s “Heart Attack” or, if the song has run it’s course by then, another single from that album. The hype is huge for her right now, and with her album releasing May 14, there’s a definite shot. I’ve not heard the new Psy song (has anyone?) but I HATED “Gangnam Style” and I hope whatever song he releases next (unless it is a legitimately good song) hits. I agree with the mentions for Katy Perry and Lady GaGa. Perry has been the queen of summer hits for a good span of her career (“I Kissed a Girl” was one of the biggest songs of the summer in 2008), and after a much-needed break from the public eye following the “Teenage Dream” era, I’d welcome her back happily with a bonafide radio hit. As for GaGa, Lord only knows what is going to happen there. We were supposed to get a single/album this spring, then came the injury and all has been quiet on that front. At this point, she needs a great song that can actually be supported by radio (which I think was the problem with the “Born This Way” era) to get back on top. As for other possible hits, the ACMs have boosted numerous country songs this week, but I’m wondering if one might be able to crossover to pop radio. If any are likely, it’s “Cruise” by Florida Georgia Line, which just released an official remix with Nelly and jumped into the Top 10 this week. The song is instantly catchy and a very “summer” song. Tim McGraw also has a song featuring Taylor Swift and Keith Urban called “Highway Don’t Care” and that name recognition alone is enough for consideration, although the song is a bit boring. “Done” by The Band Perry is an excellent song (my opinion) and if “If I Die Young” could crossover, there’s absolutely no reason this song cannot. Avril Lavigne just released “Here’s to Never Growing Up” and I’m not an immediate fan, but the radio support has been big in the first few days. “Radioactive” by Imagine Dragons has managed to chart higher than “It’s Time,” and that’d be an interesting song to make it big this summer. Some other songs I’m thinking of include “Clarity” by Zedd featuring Foxes (very dance-y), “Still Into You” by Paramore (radio-ready and well-liked band coming back from hiatus), “The Way” by Ariana Grande (just debuted top 10 last week), “Tonight I’m Getting Over You” by Carly Rae Jepsen (should be a radio hit despite Jepsen’s fallen star) and “Alive” by Krewella (a club favorite). Finally, I’m throwing my personal pick for the song of the summer, although it has been around for quite a while and has gotten some exposure: “I Love It” by Icona Pop. It’s been flirting near the top 10 on iTunes and continues to grow on the Billboard charts. It’s gotten a lot of exposure these past couple of months, and the radio support is finally kicking in. It’s insanely catchy and feels like the kind of song you’d sing outdoors with your friends on a summer night. I hope I’m right because I’d love to see this song smash. Any more opinions?!

ReplyCopy URL
    Renaton
    Topics:

^ I think it’s a crime that “Tonight I’m Getting Over You” is not a hit. I’m addicted to that song. It would be perfect for summer, but unfortunately, it flopped.

I think it will be a new song, not soemthing that has been released as a single already. It could be Rihanna, but it could also be Katy, or even someone that comes out of nowhere. But to be honest, I don’t see Gaga having a number one song or extremely big hit yet again, unless the little monsters that are still left drive it to #1 on sales and obsessive youtube views alone, but I’m not sure she can pull it off anymore. There seems to be little excitement beyond her fanbase for new music coming from her, unlike the past two times she released something new. She is gonna need more than shock, I think. And is Katy really releasing a new single in a matter of weeks? Why do I feel that buzz is so quiet for her then? But I don’t doubt Katy can score a huge hit out of thin air at this point. People just love the woman. 

ReplyCopy URL
    James Otto Sweet Heart
    Participant
    Topics:

To me, “Beat This Summer” from Brad Paisley will be the summer song of 2013. (smiles)

God bless you and him always!!!

Holly

Go here to check out my most favorite singer James Otto!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiU81KIRZ_Q

ReplyCopy URL
    Graeme O’Neil
    Topics:

Good call on “I Love It”. That song is continually growing and seems to be really exploding again in the last couple of weeks. It could end up being huge.

ReplyCopy URL
    Max 2.0
    Topics:

I really wish Rihanna would release “Phresh Out The Runway” instead. That song has the potential to become enormous.

ReplyCopy URL
    AroundU
    Topics:

If the girlband Little Mix did TV promo for ‘Wings’, it has potential to be huge. Was already a hit in UK, Oz ect..

Calvin Harris is also releasing ‘I Need Your Love’ ft Ellie Goulding. Also has potential.

ReplyCopy URL
    moviefan61794
    Participant
    Topics:

Meant to include “I Need Your Love” on my list — that song is hot and has potential written all over it, and Ellie really should be a much bigger star in the states than she currently is.

ReplyCopy URL
    AroundU
    Topics:

^True. I believe if the timing was on her side and ‘Lights’ was eligible for the last grammys, she would of been nominated. If she releases ‘Only You’ as a single that could also be huge. 

ReplyCopy URL
    circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

Khia – Half on a Room 

ReplyCopy URL
    Ryan2012
    Participant
    Topics:

Clarksons “People Like Us” should be huge! Already off to a fantastic start.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
Reply To: Song of the Summer 2013

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.