Home Forums Music The Black Keys, TURN BLUE (5/13)

The Black Keys, TURN BLUE (5/13)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
st_jimmy
mikeboy898
Tye-Grr
  • st_jimmy
    Participant
    Topics:

New single on Monday 3/24. New album 5/13. And this video…

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-black-keys-detail-new-album-turn-blue-through-mike-tyson-tweet-20140321

If they can get a crossover hit or two, they’re a big threat in the GF.  

Tye-Grr
    Topics:

Yaaaassss! I love me some Black Keys. Been anticipating this one, and I’m glad it’s almost here already.

ReplyCopy URL
    DominicCobb
    Participant
    Topics:

There are very few current musical acts I give any shits about. The Black Keys is one of them. Very excited.

ReplyCopy URL
    Richard Aniston
    Participant
    Topics:

Turn blue will definitely wind up in Rock Album, and the lead single will be nominated for Rock Song and Performance. Depending how well it does it could wind up in the General Field.

ReplyCopy URL
    TonyKuKo
    Participant
    Topics:

There are very few current musical acts I give any shits about. The Black Keys is one of them. Very excited.

I second that. Them, alongside Kings of Leon, are the only true new rock acts.  

ReplyCopy URL
    st_jimmy
    Participant
    Topics:

I thought “Fever” sounded like an El Camino reject, but I love “Turn Blue,” which was released today:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/black-keys-channel-sleepy-psychedelia-on-new-track-turn-blue-20140414

ReplyCopy URL
    mikeboy898
    Participant
    Topics:

I agree, “Turn Blue” is excellent. From these first 2 songs, it seems like this new album will much more “groovy” and loose than the very polished El Camino. Looking forward to hearing the album next month! Calling it now: I’ll bet they’ll be 1 of SNL’s musical guests in May, just in time for the release of their album.

ReplyCopy URL
    st_jimmy
    Participant
    Topics:

This is up for streaming on iTunes…maybe I had lowered my expectations, but WOW..the keys have done it again here! “Fever” has grown on me even though I don’t think it’s their best, and I was afraid the album would essentially be “Turn Blue” though I love that track as well.

Don’t be fooled, this is quite far from El Camino, so if you are expecting a lot of that you will likely be disappointed. Turn Blue is hypnotic (like the cover art), trippy, and sexy. The hooks of El Camino have been replaced with outstanding instrumentation. If you like this style of music, you won’t care this album is noticably less commercial than their previous. All of the tracks give off a similar vibe–it’s not an up and down album, it’s just smooth. It’s simple, yet layered so you’ll want to listen again! “Gotta Get Away” has such a classic feel, but I hope this is the next single. It’s such a jam. Yes, there is a dated feel, but I also feel like this could do well on radio. It’s a car song for sure.

Until something better comes along, this is the clear frontrunner for rock album. Everything else this year just feels lesser.  

ReplyCopy URL
    mikeboy898
    Participant
    Topics:

This indeed is an incredible album. I agree with st_jimmy, it’s absolutely different from El Camino, and for that I am glad. This album is groovy, funky, and smooth. LOVE IT!

Excellent choice for “Weight of Love” to be the album opener.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: The Black Keys, TURN BLUE (5/13)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.