The Official JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE Thread (“The 20/20 Experience – Part 2” out September 30th!)

Home // Forums // Music // The Official JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE Thread (“The 20/20 Experience – Part 2” out September 30th!)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 223 total)
Created
5 years ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
  • Cineking
    Participant
    Topics:

It looks like we’ll have new music from him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3eZ5sanyiI

More information coming in three days!!!

Renaton
    Topics:

Yeah, it’s probably his big comeback. There have been rumors fo him in studio the past few weeks, and even that there’s track with Jay-Z and Beyonce. I’m so excited, love Justin!

ReplyCopy URL
    Miss Frost
    Topics:

I’m glad to hear he’s coming back to the music scene. His acting skills are quite dismissal and hammy to be honest. He is very lucky that the music world is so dry right now, and there are no male artists dominating these days. If he was a female, his career would be long over with the huge hiatus. (Example would be Christina) He still needs to come hard though to make a big comeback though.

ReplyCopy URL
    HerMadgesty
    Topics:

Excited, but I hope Timbaland has some new tricks up his sleeve, or has at least hired someone new to do his producing this time (a la Danja).

ReplyCopy URL
    Gucci
    Topics:

I’ve never been crazy about Justin Timberlake.  I was glad when he took a break from music.

ReplyCopy URL
    Cineking
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve never been crazy about Justin Timberlake.  I was glad when he took a break from music.

We know you’ve never been crazy about anyone not named Christina Aguilera.

ReplyCopy URL
    TWC
    Topics:

Unlike many teenage pop stars, Justin has somehow managed to age while retaining his audience. Future Sex/Love Sounds still sounds fresh to this day, so I have no doubt that whatever he offers up this time will be bangin’. Also , this is a perfect time to return for Justin. The way is paved for him right now. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

I think Justin Timberlake is a surprisingly good actor. He’s hilarious on SNL, he’s showed star potential in films like ‘Friends With Benefits’ and ‘Trouble With The Curve’ (where his chemistry with his co-stars helped elevate the material), and he has showed his range in films like ‘The Social Network’ and ‘Alpha Dog’. He has a drama coming up with Ben Affleck later this year as well as a musical with The Coen Brothers, so he’s not stepping away from acting entirely. But I am glad he’s making music again. I love him. I think ‘FutureSex/LoveSounds’ is a great album, one of the best pop albums of the decade, and it absolutely holds up now. I cannot wait to hear new music from JT.

ReplyCopy URL
    Graeme O’Neil
    Topics:

Very excited for him to return, but good luck to him trying to live up to the massive expectations that come with this first single. No song can sustain it. 

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Hmm, I worry about this. Several pop stars who took breaks have suffered for it, and Timbaland is not exactly a hot commodity right now.

ReplyCopy URL
    Renaton
    Topics:

I think it’s no coincidence he disappeared from music with dance/pop craze. He is more interested in a more urban sounding pop, so it makes sense he comes back now, a year after Miguel and Frank ocean started paving the way for possible comeback to the sensibility in the charts in the next few years (although still somewhat uncertain). 

I trust him, and I think Timbaland will push himself for him. Still excited. 

ReplyCopy URL
    HerMadgesty
    Topics:

I don’t buy that at all Renaton. He just got star-struck by Hollywood and wanted to play “movie star” for a while. Besides, so much of FS/LS was dance-oriented. Hell, one could argue that “SexyBack” was a pre-curser to dance’s comeback, if it didn’t kickstart it altogether. And dance-pop is bigger now than ever.

ReplyCopy URL
    Renaton
    Topics:

FS/LS has moments of dance-pop, but not the loud dance-pop of Gaga and Ke$ha, even some Rihanna (even though she still had some Justin-esque singles at points, her biggest singles in the past few years have been very eurodance oritented). I don’t think he wanted to have to adjust himself to that.

And did I say it was the only reason? When people mention just one factor, doesn’t it was the only factor. I know the whole movie star thing played a huge part. But he always said he had to feel inspired to do music, and I can see how the current state of pop at the time might just have given him one more reason to not rush the process.

Also, “Sexy Back” is a dance song, but it isn’t really very EDM driven like the stuff it’s on the charts now. Yes, it has crazy synths, but it operates much more like something that with different lyrics could’ve been in a Frank Ocean album than something that could be in a David Guetta record.

ReplyCopy URL
    HerMadgesty
    Topics:

No, you didn’t say it was the only reason. But I don’t even buy that it was a reason. What artist at their peak looks at the current genre trends and says, “I don’t want to make this kind of music so I guess I’ll go make movies for seven years until the trend dies.” That’s career suicide. He was popular enough to go against the grain and do non-dance if he
    really wanted to, but like I said, his music was very dance-oriented to
    begin with, even if it wasn’t EDM/Euro. I’m sure movies wasn’t the only reason, but there’s just no evidence to support your theory.

ReplyCopy URL
    Renaton
    Topics:

What artist at their peak looks at the current genre trends and says, “I don’t want to make this kind of music so I guess I’ll go make movies forseven years until the trend dies.” 

Yeah, no one plans this. But who says I thought he planned this? I said he react to things as they were in the moment in pop music along with other stuff going on for him on his acting career at the moment, not that it was all some calculated move. I really don’t get your problem with what I’ve being saying here.

Justin always takes big breaks between his albums. I know a lot of people at the time thought he’d take arond 3 to come up with something new. But by then, his film career was starting to do well, and people like Gaga, Rihanna and Britney were big with that loud Eurodance sound. He also didn’t seem that interested in anything either within or beyond the mainstream to inspire him, so the way things were at the time plus the circumstances in his career probably led him to stay away from music longer than even he thought. It was a series of factors, and I think that was one of them.

And while it was not a wise career move, this was a guy that stayed away for 3 years after a succesful solo album and came back with a single as weird as “Sexyback”. For a former boy-bander, he never played his solo career in a way that was very expected by anyone.

But whatever. Anyway, he seems to be (unintentionally) good at timing. Because Rihanna just released her first urban oriented album in years, Britney is also rumored to be going to a more r&b/hip-hop leaning sound… Even the biggest popstars of the genre seem to be tired of the EDM craze somewhat, and this ends up being a good year to try a comeback. He might flop still (hope not), but the timing does feel right.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 223 total)
Reply To: The Official JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE Thread (“The 20/20 Experience – Part 2” out September 30th!)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.