Home Forums Music The Official Lana Del Rey Thread (Ultraviolence out June 16, 2014)

The Official Lana Del Rey Thread (Ultraviolence out June 16, 2014)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
circa 1993
neverkneel
Atypical
  • neverkneel
    Participant
    Topics:

Lana Del Rey’s third studio album Ultraviolence will be released next month. The lead single West Coast‘s video is out. Here.

Her previous album sold over 5 million copies worldwide. Due to the success of Born to Die‘s sales, she was recognized by the Grammys with “Best Pop Vocal Album” (for her EP Paradise) and “Best Song Written For Visual Media” (Young and Beautiful) nominations.

mikeboy898
    Participant
    Topics:

Years ago I wasn’t the biggest fan of Ms. Del Rey, but she has grown on me recently, especially “West Coast” (maybe it’s the Dan Auerbach-factor). I’m actually looking forward to this album!

ReplyCopy URL
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

I really like “West Coast”, and I think a big reason why is Dan Auerbach’s production. It’s perfect for her style. 

ReplyCopy URL
    circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

She’s grown on me over the past year. Interested in her new album.

ReplyCopy URL
    Manuel Colon
    Participant
    Topics:

The tracklist for Ultra was released today:

CRUEL WORLD
    ULTRAVIOLENCE

SHADES OF COOL 
    BROOKLYN BABY
    WEST COAST
    SAD GIRL 
    PRETTY WHEN YOU CRY
    MONEY POWER GLORY 
    FUCKED MY WAY UP TO THE TOP
    OLD MONEY
    THE OTHER WOMAN

BLACK BEAUTY*
    GUNS AND ROSES*
    FLORIDA KILOS*

*BONUS TRACKS

https://www.facebook.com/lanadelrey/posts/736420959733690 

ReplyCopy URL
    Osoznaetsvoios
    Topics:

It’s really great posts.

ReplyCopy URL
    neverkneel
    Participant
    Topics:

Shades of Cool audio video has just released.

Shades of Cool Youtube

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Just heard “West Coast.” That’s some song! Wow. Guess I have to start checking for hacky Lana again.

ReplyCopy URL
    james14
    Participant
    Topics:

If you had told me last year that Lana Del Rey would have one of my ten favorite albums of the year, I would have thought you were insane, but here we are.  DAMN this album is great – so much more focused and layered than her previous works, finally matching the promise that “Video Games” brought back in 2011.  Check out “Brooklyn Baby”, “Money Power Glory”, and “Cruel World”.  I know it’s only June, but thus far, I would support this for an AOTY nomination (though she won’t get it) – easily one of the best pop albums (if not the best) of the past year.

ReplyCopy URL
    King Loso
    Participant
    Topics:

I definitely agree with you. When Lana first came on the scene I was a bit put off by her musical stylings, but I must say that I was completely surprised by Ultraviolence. The production from Dan Auerbach really takes the album to a different level…and despite her vocal limitations she actually sounds great. My favorite tracks are “Money Power Glory”, “Shades of Blue”, “Florida Kilos”, “Fucked My Way to the Top”, and “Ultraviolence”. I really hope she can get some Grammy love for this project, it truly is an awesome pop album.

ReplyCopy URL
    moviefan61794
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s interesting…I either love these songs or I’m not a fan. My favorite tracks are “Cruel World,” “Ultraviolence,” “Shades of Cool” and “Black Beauty” from the deluxe version. But the songs I don’t download I don’t really like. Some songs seem repetitive in theme. I will say that this album is very ambitious and altogether a better effort than “Born to Die.” Lana’s vocals are a lot stronger, too.

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Dan Auerbach, bitches! The production on this album is crazy good.

Lana owes mountains to this guy.

ReplyCopy URL
    King Loso
    Participant
    Topics:

Agreed…and to think he was a last minute addition to the project!!!                                                                                    

ReplyCopy URL
    james14
    Participant
    Topics:

Lana Del Rey debuts at #1 on the Billboard 200 (her first number one album) with first week sales of 182,000.  This is the best sales week for a female artist since Beyonce debuted at #1 in December 2013.  Sam Smith debuts at #2 with 166,000.

http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/chart-alert/6133900/lana-del-rey-lands-first-no-1-album-on-billboard-200

I know it’s still a longshot, but with a #1 debut on the Billboard 200 and the reviews Ultraviolence has been getting, it may be a longshot contender for AOTY / General Field.  We’ll see what other pop contenders come into play the remainder of the time and what legs the album has, but it may be a solid top 15 contender at least if Del Rey is able to carry buzz over at all.  As the above article notes, she hasn’t performed on American TV in over two years and has done little promotion for the album; if she starts performing and lands an SNL slot or performs through another major venue, she may be able to keep sales up for the rest of the eligibility period.

ReplyCopy URL
    neverkneel
    Participant
    Topics:

Ultraviolence sold over 356K coppies worldwide as debut.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
Reply To: The Official Lana Del Rey Thread (Ultraviolence out June 16, 2014)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.