Home Forums Polls! 1946 – A Great Year for the Movies

1946 – A Great Year for the Movies

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Created
5 years ago
Last Reply
5 years ago
replies
views
users
Laactingnyc
Carbon Based ..
  • awardskel
    Topics:

There are few years that cinephiles can agree are good years for movies. Among those years listed are:

1) 1976 – All the President’s Men, Network, Taxi Driver, Bound for Glory, Rocky, Marathon Man, Carrie, The Omen, Logan’s Run, Face to Face, Seven Beauties, A Star Is Born, Silver Streak, Harlan County U.S.A., The Outlaw Josey Wales, The Man Who Fell to Earth, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Mikey and Nicky, Silent Movie, Next Stop Greenwich Village, The Ritz, Car Wash

2) 1939 – Gone with the Wind, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington,The Wizard of Oz, Stagecoach, Wuthering Heights, Ninotchka, Goodbye Mr. Chips, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Beau Geste, The Women, Dark Victory, Destry Rides Again, Gunga Din, Dodge City, Juarez

3) 2007 – Juno, Michael Clayton, There Will Be Blood, Knocked Up, The Bourne Ultimatum, Into the Wild, No Country for Old Men, Lars and the Real Girl, Transformers, Ratatouille, The Simpsons Movie, Hot Fuzz, I Am Legend, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, 3:10 to Yuma, 300, Gone Baby Gone, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, Persepolis, Zodiac, Meet the Robinson, Waitress, Bug, A Mighty Heart, Surf’s Up, Rescue Dawn, Talk to Me

4)  1982 – E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial, Gandhi, Blade Runner, Tron, The Thing, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Poltergeist, Tootsie, Star Trek III: The Wrath of Khan, Pink Floyd’s The Wall, The Dark Crystal, First Blood, The Verdict, Sophie’s Choice, An Officer and a Gentleman, Missing, Victor Victoria, Das Boot, Diner, Rocky III

and

5) 1962 – Lawrence of Arabia, The Manchurian Candidate, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Cape Fear, Lolita, Dr. No, Days of Wine and Roses, The Miracle Worker, The Longest Day, What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?, Birdman of Alcatraz, Jules et Jim, The Music Man, Long Day’s Journey Into Night, How the West Was Won, Lonely Are the Brave, The Four Days of Naples, The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, David and Lisa, Gypsy, Electra

But 1946 is a neglected year by the fanboys. Yet, it has some of the greatest films of all time.

Film-Noir was at its height as is evidence with Gilda, The Razor’s Edge, The Big Sleep, The Postman Always Rings Twice, The Killers, Notorious

We have a David Lean British drama – Great Expectations

We have a true American story – It’s a Wonderful Life 

We have a great Western – My Darling Clementine

We have a war-time drama about the negative effects of war – The Best Years of Our Lives

and not listed…

a musical animation-live action blend – Song of the South (for which James Baskett as Uncle Remus became the first black man to be given an Oscar, albeit an honorary one just four months before his untimely death)

a big David O. Selznick epic (albeit a flop in theatres) – Duel in the Sun

and many more

What’s your favorite of those listed? 

Laactingnyc
    Participant
    Topics:

I like “To each his own”

ReplyCopy URL
    Carbon Based Lifeform
    Participant
    Topics:

They are all great films, so it was hard to pick just one. I went with:

NOTORIOUS

Runner up:

GILDA

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: 1946 – A Great Year for the Movies

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.