2008 Best Picture – 6th place

Home // Forums // Polls! // 2008 Best Picture – 6th place

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Daniel B.
    Participant
    Topics:

In 2008, the five nominees for Best Picture were:

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
    Frost/Nixon
    Milk
    The Reader
    Slumdog Millionaire
     (winner)

Which film do you think was in 6th place that year, just missing a nomination for Best Picture? 

Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

This one is really interesting because I am not completely convinced that it would’ve been The Dark Knight…then again, who knows.

Doubt could have very well been in sixth since all of its principles got in along with the screenplay. I doubt it was Vicki Christina Barcelona since it only got the one nomination.

My guess is that In Bruges, Frozen River, and Happy-Go-Lucky weren’t too high, especially in the case of the latter since Sally Hawkins and Eddie Marsan couldn’t get nominated.

WALL-E could have been 6th (it should have been in contention to win IMO).

Revolutionary Road was pretty dead on arrival I think.

The Wrestler did have passionate support but I doubt it was in 6th.  

Wasn’t this also the year of Waltz With Bashir? I remember that had a lot of buzz as a possible late minute dark horse.

I am actually going to go with WALL-E.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Miss Frost
    Topics:

If it were up to me, I would’ve instantly removed The Reader, Frost/Nixon, and the horrible Slumdog Millionaire and replaced the last 3 slots with WALL-E, Dark Knight, and The Wrestler. My winner would definitely be WALL-E.

But to answer the question, I bet it was a toss up between Dark Knight and WALL-E.

ReplyCopy URL
    Daniel B.
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not convinced The Dark Knight would have been that 6th nominee either. The only major nomination that film got was Heath Ledger’s performance for Supporting Actor.

Despite many who say The Dark Knight and WALL-E prompted the Academy to extend their list of nominees for Best Picture (which I do think is partially true, given that they extended their list of nominations to ten, not six), and assume it just missed out on a nomination in the top 5, I think that 6th slot (and what I was predicting to be that 5th slot before the nominations were announced) was probably Doubt. It had 4 acting nominations, and only three other films in Oscar’s history have scored that many without a Best Picture nomination: My Man Godfrey (1936), I Remember Mama (1948) and Othello (1965), and Godfrey was the only one to score a screenplay nomination, which Doubt had as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

I chose The Dark Knight, but it shouldn’t be 6th Place. It should be Best Picture of 2008. Nominated at least. That 10 nominee rule is BS, because they nominated films that had no right to be there (here’s looking at you, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.)

ReplyCopy URL
    Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

‘Doubt’ or ‘Wall-E’. I don’t for one moment think TDK came 6th or even close.

ReplyCopy URL
    Laactingnyc
    Participant
    Topics:

Doubt.

ReplyCopy URL
    Greg A.
    Participant
    Topics:

I went with Doubt (fantastic), but I just read Rev Road and loved it. Get horrible Slumdog and Button out of there and replace it with those two.

Great question!

ReplyCopy URL
    Malick
    Topics:

Wall-e

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: 2008 Best Picture – 6th place

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.