Best Actor 1976

Home // Forums // Polls! // Best Actor 1976

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve always had difficulty deciding between De Niro and Finch. Would love some input into this.

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

So difficult, but in the end, I’m going with Finch as my choice. Why? Sentiment entirely. And, my love for this film. That screenplay; that cast. The timing. The absolute visionary film that it  was and is.

I love the work of the others as well. Even   Stallone, whose drooling lip-twisting grunts are as iconic as his backstage heroism and shoe-string purse.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I voted for De Niro by accident. But, it’s a great accident anyways.

ReplyCopy URL
    allabout oscars
    Topics:

Finch was going to win..dead or alive…
    he was the star of an iconic film giving and iconic
    performance with 1 line of dialogue that we still recite today.

Taxi Driver is still a brilliant film with DENIRO giving an incredible
    performance…

My pick is DE NIRO..

ReplyCopy URL
    Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

In know that no one will agree but my vote goes to Stallone.

He’s fantastic in ‘Rocky’. In hindsight it’s easy to dismiss him as being a terrible actor (Which of course he is) but in 1976 this is all we have to go on and he gives a really great performance.

I’d just as happily vote for Deniro who is also sensational.

I’ve never quite got Finch’s performance. He’s great obviously but for some reason I can’t get passionate about it.

Barely remember Holden. Haven’t seen Giannini.

ReplyCopy URL
    JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

Great lineup, but only one choice

1. DeNiro
    2. Holden
    3. Giannini
    4. Finch
    5. Stallone 

ReplyCopy URL
    KT
    Topics:

Robert DeNiro’s performance in Taxi Driver is the greatest performance of the 1970s and one of the greatest in American cinema. He was beaten due to a combination of factors, including having won two years earlier, the movie being polarizing/controversial, an outpouring for Peter Finch, etc. I think I’ve made this comparison before on GoldDerby, but I’m surprised Daniel Day-Lewis in the three years he won Best Actor never saw buzz and hype move away from him, having won before and despite having given the standout performance of the nominees (the situation of DeNiro here). It’s actually really surprising, since it’s happened all of the time, as we know, the best performance doesn’t always win. In the end though, Travis Bickle will continue to stand as one of the most complex and fascinating characters committed to film.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

It is easy to bash Stallone because of his career path but I do try to place myself in a time where this was his only performance to base him off of…and while that is a more positive light, it isn’t enough for me and I still think the film itself was drastically overrated.

Giannini was good and a solid fourth place for me.

Really, this category comes down to the NETWORK men and DeNiro.

Holden has a rather strong amount of fans but I place him third in this category.

Finch and DeNiro’s roles have both become iconic. You could argue that Finch is Supporting….and I can understand that argument, but I would say he is borderline and I am fine with his placement. Plus, that gives a chance for me to place Robert Duvall in Supporting for NETWORK and give him the win. 

DeNiro had already won an Oscar at this point, but this was the real breakthrough for him in my eyes. It was such a stellar role and film.

Considering I vote for DeNiro for both of the roles he actually won for, I will give this one to Finch.

Any of his news broadcasts or his sermons on the Howard Beale show are all classic and stunning. He makes some of the more flowery dialogue by Chayefsky seem oddly natural coming out of his mouth and he is completely believable and really such a tragic figure.

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

Finch by far. DeNiro was great but Finch was astonishing 

ReplyCopy URL
    Entertain-me
    Participant
    Topics:

1. William Holden
    2. Robert De Niro
    3. Giancarlo Gianni
    4. Peter Finch
    5. Sylvester Stallone 

ReplyCopy URL
    FilmGuy619
    Participant
    Topics:

I went with DeNiro, but damn, how do I choose? Quite a lineup.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: Best Actor 1976

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.