Home Forums Polls! Best Actor 1984

Best Actor 1984

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Anonymous
    Topics:

who do you think should’ve won the oscar that year? or abraham is the rightful winner afterall?

JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

Abraham certainly gives an oscar winning caliber performance, so I’m not upset at all with his victory…but I think Albert Finney was the better choice.  He gives a tremendous performance in UNDER THE VOLCANO.  Master class.  1984 has a great lineup.  All 5 outstanding performances, and the best complete lineup of acting in 1984’s groupings.

1. Finney 
    2. Abraham
    3. Waterston
    4. Hulce
    5. Bridges 

Finney can stay at # 1 and everyone else can be moved around no problem for me. 

ReplyCopy URL
    KT
    Topics:

Abraham was apparently unbearable after winning this Oscar—classic case of Oscar winners thinking themselves more important and talented than non-winners.  On the set of The Name of the Rose, he was absolutely obnoxious and disrespectful to Sean Connery.  Of course, Connery would go on to win the BAFTA Best Actor for Name of the Rose and then an Oscar a few years later, continuing to hold high esteem and respect in the industry, while Abraham…well…  They made another film together, 2000’s Finding Forrester, with Connery in another lead role and Abraham in a small part as the jealous, bitter professor—quite amusing if you consider their earlier project (and Abraham’s first film following Amadeus).

ReplyCopy URL
    Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

^ Continuing with that, though, Abraham doesn’t really seem to be bothered by his lack of prominence following his Oscar win. He seems to enjoy his relative anonymity when riding the subway, finding it “refreshing” not to be recognized like other actors, and he looks back on the win with fondness, implying that it gave him the opportunity to “dine with kings, share equal billing with idols, and lecture at Harvard and Columbia”. Which I think is a fair look at things.

Anyway, he’s definitely my pick, though Hulce was immensely entertaining as well. Abraham really seems to be one of those near-universal Best Actor picks, so I think I’d be more curious to see what other performances people feel should’ve made it in over the actual contenders.

ReplyCopy URL
    Beau S.
    Topics:

Abraham was terrific and very deserving in one of my favorite Best Picture winners. Hulce was a riot, definitely my second place choice. Really too bad that neither of their careers took off after that film.

I expect Finney to get a lot of votes here. Many will probably see this as an acceptable year to give him his very due Oscar since Abraham didn’t accomplish much after his win. 

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Well, they are all terrific. so I’ll just go with my emotional favorite, which is Jeff, a benevolent alien, compassionate, and with a great bod. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

Abraham certainly has had moments of the win going to his head but he does seem to have cooled down in recent years as I have heard the same stories as mentioned above.

I think it was a very good category despite it missing a very formidible contender who has never gotten his due from the Academy: Steve Martin for All of Me….despite two major critics win and lots of popular praise, he was snubbed. Comedy curse has always affected him.

There was a lot of good comedy in film that year from All of Me to Beverly Hills Cop to Ghostbusters to Splash to This is Spinal Tap…of course, pretty much none of it was recognized in any form at the Oscars.

As for the actual nominees:
    Bridges was the weak link, but he gave a nice performance in a solid film that was a genre typically ignored by the Academy: Sci-Fi.

Finney and Waterston were both very good as well.

Hulce never really took off…even less so than Abraham, but gave a surprisingly great performance in Amadeus.

For me though, Abraham was the easy winner. It was such a subtle performance but he just had this captivating and complex character that made him so interesting to watch. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Entertain-me
    Participant
    Topics:

1. F. Murray Abraham
    2. Albert Finney
    3. Jeff Bridges
    4. Tom Hulce
    5. Sam Waterston 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Best Actor 1984

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.