Best Actor 1988

Home // Forums // Polls! // Best Actor 1988

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Beau S.
    Topics:

I love Rain Man (one of the 80’s best BP winners imo) but I never liked Hoffman’s performance here.

Hackman gets my vote. 

Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

This is one of those categories where I’ve never known how to really feel. I suppose, as far as a winner goes, Hackman and Hoffman would be the closest I could come to finding worthy, though I do appreciate that the Academy gave Olmos a nomination, as I do find his performance genuinely heartwarming.

I do wish that Bob Hoskins could have at least gotten a mention for Roger Rabbit, if not the win. He would have been an inspired choice, and given how close he seemed to be to winning for Mona Lisa, I’m surprised that he wasn’t included at least as a makeup. Haven’t seen The Last Temptation of Christ yet, but I’m curious on Willem Dafoe’s performance in that as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    allabout oscars
    Topics:

This was the year  that all 5 actors last names were supposed to
    start with the letter “H”..but it didnt happen.

Instead of Olmos and Von Sydow…. the category was supposed to have
    Hurt- The Accidental Tourist
    Hoskins- Roger rabbitt.

My vote went easily to HURT   for  THE ACCIDENTAL TOURIST
    for which i believe was the performance of his career so far..

ReplyCopy URL
    Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

I was just about to say that. I remember it being a big shock on nomination morning when Hoskins and Hurt were missing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

I also don’t know what way to vote for this race. I use to be all for Dustin Hoffman but I don’t know if I feel the way after seeing the film more over the years.

Hackman was strong in Mississippi Burning, but just like everyone else in this category, I am just not able to fully get behind him.

Hanks was better here than in his winning performances. There is more here than meets the eye.

Olmos and Sydow were also quite good.

I agree with the mention of Bob Hoskins (who should’ve won in 1986)….I also want to mention John Cleese in A Fish Called Wanda and Jeremy Irons in Dead Ringers.

My vote, at least today, would go to Hackman. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Gucci
    Topics:

Tom Hanks.

ReplyCopy URL
    JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Von Sydow
    2. Olmos
    3. Hackman
    4. Hanks
    5. Hoffman

This list’s top 4 were terrific IMO …  Hoffman well he is one of my favorite actors but I think once he got the very basics of the character down, there was very little for him to do then rinse and repeat.  Not all that huge of an acmoplishment to me.

Von Sydow is flawless and wihtout a doubt gets my vote…didn’t consider anyone else from this list of nominess.

Hanks is simply wonderful in BIG I’m sad to place him 4th…he could flip with Olmos or Hackman easily. Generally love all of Hanks’ work from BIG and before.  Once he became the huge superstar with BIG and after it my appreciation dwindled to near nothing.  Similar things have happened with me and DiCaprio (Titanic and beyond stinks!) and PS Hoffman – (no huge superstar here, but I really only find his work before CAPOTE to be truly great…CAPOTE and beyond is ho hum to me.) 

ReplyCopy URL
    CoolHandLuke2012
    Topics:

No performance came close to Jeremy Iron’s masterful performance in Dead Ringers, he should have easily won had he been nominated. Hackman is my pick from the Academy’s line up.

ReplyCopy URL
    CJO1234
    Topics:

For me, it’s Hoffman all the way.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

A really tough choice. Von Sydow’s part was very brief imo; I would have loved to see more of him. I almost went with Hackman’s intense, violent perf, almost “Unforgiven” like. But I went with Hanks. He completely convinced me he was 12/13 years old.

ReplyCopy URL
    DudeAbides
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Hackman is the best actor of his generation and one of the best ever. Mississippi Burning is one of his best performances and the best performance by an actor that year. Dustin Hoffman plays the same note in Rainman over and over. Hanks, Olmos, and Sydow all give good performances, but I would have 4 different nominees.
    John Malkovich for Dangerous Liaisons
    Tom Hulce for Dominich & Eugene
    Steve Martin for Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
    Tom Cruise for Rainman

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: Best Actor 1988

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.