Best Actor 1994

Home // Forums // Polls! // Best Actor 1994

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Actriz
    Participant
    Topics:

I absolutely detest Hanks’ win here. Terrible performance that was a total caricature of a disabled person. His voice was just so overdone and somewhat insulting.

He stole this Oscar right out from under Freeman. 

Beau S.
    Topics:

I’ve made it obvious on this board what I think of Forrest Gump and Hanks’ performance in the film – Sinise and Field were the only redeemable parts of the ghastly film.

Darabont brought out a side of Freeman that we’d never seen before at the time. The final 15 minutes or so of The Shawshank Redemption – beginning with the “I don’t give a shit” parole monologue – is some of the greatest understated acting you will ever see on film. Robbins does more of the flashier work, but it is Freeman who experiences the titular “redemption” and ultimately has a greater impact on the viewer.

This is generally a very strong category sans Hanks – whose nomination I would give to Ralph Fiennes in the grossly underrated Quiz Show. Hawthorne and Newman are both very strong. I find Travolta to be the weakest link of Pulp Fiction – though he is still quite good. Does anybody else think he would’ve made a good Forrest Gump?

ReplyCopy URL
    MERYLMADNESS
    Topics:

Hanks’ performance in Forrest Gump was a caricature. It was a stunt more than a performance. The film is mediocre and has major shortcomings, the biggest one of which is Hanks in the lead role.

I voted for Freeman because to be honest, I think the film is a drag and he’s the only thing that makes it watchable (don’t stone me to death please). Though I definitely think Paul Newman also deserves it for what turned out to be his last amazing performance. 

ReplyCopy URL
    JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

Hands down the best leading male performance of 1994 was Terrence Stamp in “The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert”.  The best of the nominated work is Paul Newman’s for sure.  Hawthrone & Freeman just after.  Travolta was alright, after “Get Shorty” the next year he has never been alright or better since – just plain bad.  Totally agree with everyone else so far about Hanks, one of the aboslute worst wins ever.

1. Newman
    2. Hawthrone
    3. Freeman
    4. Travolta
    5. Hanks 

ReplyCopy URL
    Macbeth
    Participant
    Topics:

FIFTH: Nigel Hawthorne
    in The Madness of King George
    An amazing performance
    from a veteran actor, but I just feel like it wasn’t going to be an Academy
    Award winning performance in that particular
    year. I would have given it to him
    if the film were made ten years later, because at this point the AMPAS’
    obsession with real people was in its early
    stages.

FOURTH: Tom Hanks in
    Forrest Gump

Hanks is an amazing actor,
    and he deserved the Best Actor award for Philadelphia, but somehow I don’t see
    why he deserved to win for a very schmaltzy, over-the-top performance in a
    family film. He should have won for Saving Private Ryan or Cast Away (or both
    even) but not for Forrest Gump

THIRD: Paul Newman in
    Nobody’s Fool

Like someone above stated,
    it was Newman’s last great performance, and he was showing his age here, but
    not any decline in acting ability. He would have been a worthy winner of this
    award, and if he hadn’t won for The Color of Money, this would be his Al Pacino
    award

SECOND: Morgan Freeman
    in The Shawshank Redemption

Amazing performance from
    Morgan Freeman. I do think that this was more of a Supporting performance than
    a Lead one, but it could be either. I do feel that Freeman deserved to win for
    this and Million Dollar Baby, but at least he has won at least one.

FIRST: John Travolta in
    Pulp Fiction      
    Who
    doesn’t love a comeback? There have been very few comebacks as phenomenal as
    John Travolta in Pulp Fiction. He was absolutely mesmerizing as Vincent Vega.
    He could have won for any singular scene – the twisting scene, the scene in the
    restaurant, the scenes with Samuel L. Jackson. It’s a shame he didn’t win
    because it was an absolutely mesmerizing performance. Vincent Vega is an iconic
    character, and that is partially due to Tarantino’s sheer brilliance, but also Travolta’s
    masterful performance.

ReplyCopy URL
    Macbeth
    Participant
    Topics:

Here is my dream list of nominees:

1. Terrence Stamp in The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
    2. Johnny Depp in Ed Wood
    3. John Travolta in Pulp Fiction
    4. Hugh Grant in Four Weddings and a Funeral
    5. Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump
    ReplyCopy URL
    Beau S.
    Topics:

I find it interesting that you rank both Freeman and Travolta higher than Hanks, but Freeman does not your personal lineup even though Hanks does.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gucci
    Topics:

Morgan Freeman.

ReplyCopy URL
    Charlize Theron Fan
    Topics:

This Oscar WAS Freeman’s. He owns the Shawshank Redemption. Without him it would not be the same film. You can’t say that about any of the other nominees.

ReplyCopy URL
    rrekydoc
    Participant
    Topics:

Tom Hanks’ performance was dependent on subtle facial idiosyncracies that captured humorous/serious emotions perfectly and expressed them to the viewers without having to say or do anything over-the-top. The previous year should have gone to Neeson, but Hanks was deserving this year.
    As for Travolta and Freeman, they did well, but I can picture dozens of other actors playing those those roles just as well, if not better.
    I still really need to see The Madness of King George…

ReplyCopy URL
    Beau S.
    Topics:

As for Travolta and Freeman, they did well, but I can picture dozens of other actors playing those those roles just as well, if not better.

Same could be said for Hanks.

Who could have narrated and provided nuanced subtlety better than Freeman? 

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

So many great performances aren’t on this list:

Johnny Depp
    Terence Stamp
    Ralph Fiennes
    Hugh Grant

I don’t think Tom Hanks was that horrible in Forrest Gump, but I do think that this Oscar should’ve been Morgan Freeman’s, even though I am not in love with Shawshank Redemption like many people seem to be.    

ReplyCopy URL
    Miss Frost
    Topics:

Definitely Morgan Freeman. What a mesmerizing performance in a sensational film. I love me some Tom Hanks, but he should’ve won for only “Cast Away.”

ReplyCopy URL
    Malick
    Topics:

Tom Hanks potrayal is kinda insulting, i detest him. This shouldve been Morgan’s.

ReplyCopy URL
    CJO1234
    Topics:

Make fun of me if you want, but I’m going with Hanks here. I LOVE Forrest Gump, and a lot of that has to do with Hanks’s portrayal of the title character.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
Reply To: Best Actor 1994

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.