Best Actor 2000

Home // Forums // Polls! // Best Actor 2000

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Beau S.
    Topics:

Nobody seems to support Crowe’s win here, but nobody ever names an alternative.

For me this is between Bardem and Harris, and I give Harris the edge. 

JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

The only choice for me is Javier Bardem…brilliant performance.

Did not like GLADIATOR much at all including Crowe’s performance. Not much of a fan of Tom Hanks, yet I will concede this is his best work post 1993 when I turned on Hanks (liked his work prior).  Harris and Rush are quite good, but do not reach the level of Bardem IMO.

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

I gotta go with Crowe but Hanks is a close second. Rush is third and Bardem in 4th. I haven’t seen Pollock so Harris could have been great but i don’t know.

ReplyCopy URL
    ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

Tom Hanks by a mile…. his best performance. Had he not already have 2 Oscars, he would have been a slam dunk imo.

ReplyCopy URL
    Actriz
    Participant
    Topics:

Bardem is transcendent and Hanks is at his best (which doesn’t really say a lot) but Ed Harris is so far and away the winner here. He made a man painting seem so alive and action-packed, it was a breathtaking, underrated film and performance. Harris went through physical change and did all of the painting in the film himself.

Giving him this win would also be a way of acknowledging the film as a whole, since it really was a passion project for him.

ReplyCopy URL
    MERYLMADNESS
    Topics:

Impossible decission between Javier Bardem and Ed Harris.

I’ll go with Harris, especially because Bardem is such an easy winner for No Country for Old Men. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

This was the last Oscar year I covered before retiring. If I remember correctly there was never a frontrunner for this one at any point. It was made even crazier when Benicio del Toro got nominated in supporting instead of lead.

Bardem, Hanks and Harris were the acclaimed ones. Lots of people dismissed Crowe as riding the wave of support for Gladiator. Nobody thought he had a real chance to win. Rush’s nomination made a lot of people very happy, that film had a huge amount of vocal fans at the time.

Even though the acclaimed three performances were on equal ground for me (with Hanks being the weakest, but still great), I pegged Harris to win. Many thought he was due, and didn’t think the Academy would give a third to Hanks and didn’t think an unkown Spanish actor would win in a category filled with major names.

Jaws dropped when Crowe’s name was called. Same with Gay Harden’s (even though she was considered to have the best performance in the category, many were surprised she was able to pull it off). I left the business on a rather surprised note.

ReplyCopy URL
    vlaxym
    Participant
    Topics:

Torn between Harris and Hanks, i’m going with Hanks right now…

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

I wish that Michael Douglas (Wonder Boys), Jamie Bell (Billy Elliot), and Patrick Fugit (Almost Famous) got more traction in this race.

Of the nominees: Bardem, Hanks, and Harris were all quite good. I would definitely say that this was Hanks best performance post-1993 (even though I still really liked him in Philadelphia)….Ed Harris was a dynamo in Pollack, and Bardem gave a wonderful first impression at the time. Rush was definitely good but not in contention for my vote.

Crowe was easily the worst here and I do feel his win was based on a close race combined with the support of Gladiator and because Hanks had already won two Oscars (still, Harris was there with a powerful performance and no win yet).

Since I want to spread the wealth some….I will give this one to Ed Harris…..he and Harden made an absolutely powerful team. 

ReplyCopy URL
    nkb325
    Participant
    Topics:

Jaws dropped when Crowe’s name was called. Same with Gay Harden’s (even though she was considered to have the best performance in the category, many were surprised she was able to pull it off). I left the business on a rather surprised note.

This is off topic but I’ve wondered and you would probably know, who was the front runner for best supporting actress? I always thought it was Hudson, she was the pretty young breakout star, daughter of an oscar winner, and out of Critics Choice winner McDormand, SAG winner Dench, and her being the Globe winner, she was the only one who didn’t already have an oscar. But really including Walters all 4 of them (other than Harden obviously) had each won one of the major precursor awards, so could you say more about it? Was it pretty even with maybe one slight frontrunner, or was there one person way out front even with the spread of awards love?

ReplyCopy URL
    Malick
    Topics:

The only choice for me is Javier Bardem…brilliant performance.

Did not like GLADIATOR much at all including Crowe’s performance. Not much of a fan of Tom Hanks, yet I will concede this is his best work post 1993 when I turned on Hanks (liked his work prior).  Harris and Rush are quite good, but do not reach the level of Bardem IMO.

ABSOLUTELY! Its  not even close.

ReplyCopy URL
    Miss Frost
    Topics:

I would’ve awarded Crowe for his work in “The Insider.” I didn’t care for Hanks’ first two wins, but I would have definitely awarded him here. Harris comes very close. I haven’t seen Bardem yet.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

This is off topic but I’ve wondered and you would probably know, who was the front runner for best supporting actress? I always thought it was Hudson, she was the pretty young breakout star, daughter of an oscar winner, and out of Critics Choice winner McDormand, SAG winner Dench, and her being the Globe winner, she was the only one who didn’t already have an oscar. But really including Walters all 4 of them (other than Harden obviously) had each won one of the major precursor awards, so could you say more about it? Was it pretty even with maybe one slight frontrunner, or was there one person way out front even with the spread of awards love?

Kate Hudson was the frontrunner, but she was the weakest that frontrunners come.

Harden’s win is less surprising in hindsight. She was/is a respected actress, a force to be reckoned with from Broadway, who was playing a real-life character, a borderline lead character, a suffering family member in the category that loves the suffering family members. It was also the only film of the bunch that really overperformed on nomination morning, especially with the actors’ branch. She also won the New York Film Critics award, which was a much more important precursor before SAG came along. 

ReplyCopy URL
    CJO1234
    Topics:

Hanks, followed by Crowe, Harris, Bardem and Rush

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: Best Actor 2000

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.