Best Actor 2002

Home // Forums // Polls! // Best Actor 2002

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Greg A.
    Participant
    Topics:

Thoughts?

Cinebear
    Participant
    Topics:

At first glance, the race looked like a toss-up between Nicholson and Day-Lewis (I loved them both; in which case, Nicholson should have prevailed, in my opinion, as The Butcher seemed more of a supporting role), so Brody’s win was pretty much a surprise.  I preferred Michael Caine in powerful and subtle mode in a smaller film over the other four.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

It seems so obvious now how Brody pulled this off, but at that time it was all about Nicholson and Day-Lewis (and I predicted the latter because I didn’t think they’d give Nicholson a fourth).

Personally, Nicholson was my favorite at the time but now I would actually give my vote to Brody. I also really liked Michael Caine.

Day-Lewis and Cage were not deserving of their nominations. I would have preferred Leonardo DiCaprio (Catch Me If You Can) and either Campbell Scott (Rodger Dodger) or Hugh Grant (About a Boy)….I can’t think of many people, a lot of these films are ones I haven’t seen since they came out.   

ReplyCopy URL
    JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

Great lineup…hard to rank for sure.  I’m such a sucker for ADAPTATION all together and the two charcater performance gets my vote.  Again I thought all 5 were superb.

1. Cage
    2. Day-Lewis
    3. Brody
    4. Nicholson
    5. Caine 

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

Nicholson and Brody were great, I really like Caine, Cage and Day-Lewis. DiCaprio, Scott, Sam Rockwell (Confessions of a Dangerous Mind) and Robin Williams (One Hour Photo) deserved recognition.

ReplyCopy URL
    seabel
    Participant
    Topics:

Adrien Brody.

This was a miraculous Oscar win.

ReplyCopy URL
    CoolHandLuke2012
    Topics:

Brody is seriously overrated in The Pianist, its a role any good actor could have done and his output has shown just how much of a mediocre actor he’s shown to be. He only won because the other 4 had Oscars. I think Nicholson nailed a far more complex and dramatic role with much more layers than Brody’s one note performance.

ReplyCopy URL
    Spark87
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Daniel Day-Lewis (Gangs of New York)
    2. Adrien Brody (The Pianist)
    3. Jack Nicholson (About Schmidt)
    4. Michael Caine (The Quiet Ameircan)
    5. Nicolas Cage (Adaptaiton) 

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Now there’s a worthy lineup.

Voted for Michael Caine. When is he NOT incredible? 

ReplyCopy URL
    KT
    Topics:

I also voted for Michael Caine. Excellent performance. He is a truly exceptional actor, and it infuriates me when people think he’s the same in every movie due to his accent. In Quiet American, he was so in character that the role can essentially serve as a master class for film acting (in arguably the strongest directed movie and inarguably the best photographed movie of these five nominees).

ReplyCopy URL
    Malick
    Topics:

This is lineup could be the best ever (debatable i know). But atleast in recent memory its gotta be the best. Adrien gets my vote though. There really are no words to describe his performance. Truly one for the ages. And just a tad better imo then Caine & Day-Lewis.

ReplyCopy URL
    CJO1234
    Topics:

This is a really strong lineup. But I vote for Brody here. BTW, all four guys he beat were former Oscar winners. They had won anywhere from 1 to 3 Oscars before this, so I can vote for Brody and not feel guilty.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

nicholson should’ve won his third for about schmidt, not for as good as it gets

ReplyCopy URL
    Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m completely indifferent to all of these performances.

Jack is just doing his same old schtick and didn’t remotely deserve a 4th after winning for the abysmal AGAIG. I think Caine is a terible actor (Although better than usual here. This is the one DDL perf I didn’t get al all.

That leaves Cage an Brody neither of whom I remember much about. I suspect I would have voted for Brody but at least Cage was ding some proper acting again after years of action crap (Which he immediatley returned to).

I’d have to watch them all again to make a definite decision.

ReplyCopy URL
    iveriver
    Topics:

Adrien Brody, definitely. I was spellbinded when I first saw his performance nearly a decade ago. It still holds up today.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
Reply To: Best Actor 2002

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.