Home Forums Movies Best Actor 2004

Best Actor 2004

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Problemchild
    Participant
    Topics:

And the nominees were…

Don Cheadle, Hotel Rwanda
    Johnny Depp, Finding Neverland
    Leonardo DiCaprio, The Aviator
    Clint Eastwood, Million Dollar Baby
    Jamie Foxx, Ray

I remember at the time; swooning over Foxx’s portrayal of the late, great Ray Charles. While I still consider it a worthy performance, I can’t help but think how Leonardo DiCaprio lost.  He is featured in a grand, sweeping biopic about an eccentric American figure who gets to flash his acting muscle under the direction of an overdue, master directorit seemed like Oscar catnip. Depp’s nomination was his reward as his performance and film were all to subtle for a major win. Cheadle, I believe, could have been more of a threat if his film had more traction.  IMO, he gives the most honest and grounded performance of the pack. And Eastwood! Why is he here!?! I loved the film and support its Picture victory but this performance does not merit a nomination! He stole his nomination from Paul Giamatti, Sideways who would have also been a worthy winner.

Thoughts?

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I was rooting big time for Clint that year. Lol. From that list of nominees, I liked his perf the most.

From the Supporting noms I would have replaced Sophie Okonedo with Margo Martindale from the same film but dont have any qualms about Cate’s win.

Depp is good but if I were looking for a spot for Giamatti, he goes.

ReplyCopy URL
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

Eastwood should have won – not as much as he should have for Unforgiven or particularly his career-best work in Gran Torino, bt for me he was clearly the class of the field.

DiCaprio? Meh. He deserved to win for Titanic, deserved serious consideration for Catch Me If You Can. Was for me second best last year.

I agree also that Giamatti deserved consideration. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

Eastwood is laughably bad. He gets away with it because he’s been in films so long he knows the tricks to film acting without actually doing any ‘acting’. Hopelessly wooden.

Paul Giamatti’s snubbing is one of the strangest in Oscar history. Literally everyone would have had him in their predictions and yet he wasn’t nommed and I still can’t think of a single reason for it.

ReplyCopy URL
    TomHardys
    Participant
    Topics:

Foxx was very good but so was DiCaprio. Depp deserved his nomination and Cheadle was great as well. I agree that Eastwood’s performance is not as layered as it seemed when I first watched it and now I look at it as wooden. Didn’t like it. Giamatti would make a more deserving nominee.

Despite all of this I don’t exactly have any favorite from that line-up. I wish Brokeback Mountain had been released a year before so that Heath Ledger could give Foxx a run for his money. 

ReplyCopy URL
    DamianWayne
    Topics:

These 5 performances are flat out awful. The entire year, Oscar wise, was pretty terrible.

Should have been Jim Carrey. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Paul Giamatti’s snub (yes I’m using the dreaded word) is one of the most perplexing ever; I wonder if it was due to snobbishness towards a ‘character actor’ in a leading role, with the five nominees all being more traditional leading-man types. Eastwood’s performance, the most surprising nominee at the time, certainly had more brooding gravitas than Giamatti’s subtler and vastly superior work. He and Bruno Ganz in Downfall gave the finest male performances that year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

These 5 performances are flat out awful. The entire year, Oscar wise, was pretty terrible.

Should have been Jim Carrey. 

I hope you mean for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and not A Series of Unfortunate Events, which he almost single-handedly destroyed.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

Leo was the best of the nominees in my opinion. Very hard, competitive year if you ask me.

ReplyCopy URL
    CAROL-CHANNING
    Topics:

I think Jamie Foxx is one of the most pompous, arrogant, unlikable celebrities out there, so I’ll never get behind his win (for his just decent performance).  

I remember liking Hotel Rwanda a lot when it came out, so I was happy with Cheadle’s nomination.  Haven’t watched the movie in awhile, though.  I also love Finding Neverland, but didn’t find Depp’s performance to be anything to write home about.  

And I actually think DiCaprio is AWFUL in The Aviator.  To me, he’s never good in movies where he needs to put on an accent.  Something about it never rings true to me.

I love that Eastood got nominated.  He’s terrific in Million Dollar Baby.

Giamatti, however, deserved to not only be nominated, but to win every award there was.  The fact that he got snubbed is heartbreaking. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Pavel Romanov
    Topics:

Foxx in “Ray” was a steamroller that year. Nothing was going to stop him. A fine performance but hardly worthy of being the dominant front runner he became.

The Aviator, I thought, was truly terrible. One could learn far more about Howard Hughes in the opening 15 minutes of Melvin and Howard than in all of Scorsese’s bloated, jumbled epic.

I’d go with Clint. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Beau S.
    Topics:

Cheadle should have won – one of the most painfully underrated screen performances of the millenium so far.

I agree Giamatti’s exclusion is perplexing. I generally dislike everything about The Aviator and DiCaprio’s perf is no exception. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is just one of Carrey’s many snubs. And lastly I find that Depp’s performance is often shat on because of the film he’s in. I thought he was great.

My nominees:

Jim Carrey, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    * Don Cheadle, Hotel Rwanda
    Johnny Depp, Finding Neverland
    Clint Eastwood, Million Dollar Baby
    Paul Giamatti, Sideways

Have nothing against Foxx/Ray but the competition was just too good.

The fabulous Gael Garcia Bernal also deserves consideration for the otherwise forgettable Motorcycle Diaries. Thank goodness BAFTA at least recognized him.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

In retrospect, I can understand why Morgan Freeman won for M$B. But I still prefer Thomas Haden Church, who is more interesting for me than Giamatti, and Clive Owen.

My personal choice from Sideways however, is Virginia Madsen. I loved her in Sideways, and I’ve long been a fan of her work. She’s a femme fatale of a gentle sort compared to her manipulative character in The Hot Spot.

But I’m still bummed about Clint missing the win here. Actually, that’s a fine cast overall.

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m fine with Jamie Foxx’s Oscar win for “Ray” then and now. His was a galvanizing performance from beginning to end, and with the added sentiment of Ray Charles passing that same year + “Collateral” as another standout performance in close proximity, the stars aligned for Foxx in an undeniable way. It would have been an equally deserving win for Leonardo DiCaprio, but I remember at the time rooting for Martin Scorsese more in director and “The Aviator” in best picture than most of its other nominations. I can’t really complain about this lineup, though it’s sad that both Jim Carrey and Paul Giamatti were snubbed. I would have kept Don Cheadle around for “Hotel Rwanda.” As much as I enjoyed “Finding Neverland,” I didn’t really see a great need to nominate Johnny Depp there. That was residual/abundant “Pirates” love more than anything, I think. Clint’s acting nod was a genuine surprise for “Million Dollar Baby,” and that should have been the clear indication the voters’ love for the film that would propel it to win over “The Aviator” and the others in BP. Since it seems like they’re never going to consider Jim Carrey for anything “serious” that he does, I can’t help but think that Clint took away Paul Giamatti’s nod, which is somewhat disappointing. His makeup nod for “Cinderella Man” the follwoing year was very transparent, Academy! I’d replace Clint with Paul Giamatti, and Depp with Carrey. I’d still pick Foxx in that roster, but Giamatti would have given him a real run for his money.

ReplyCopy URL
    ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

Foxx by ten miles. No competition imo!!!!

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.