Home Forums Polls! Best Actor 2008

Best Actor 2008

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
Icky
Words Count
babypook
  • Strong & Silent Type
    Participant
    Topics:

i think academy made the right decision.it was a medicore lineup and penn was better than others.

Tom
    Participant
    Topics:

I did enjoy Penn’s performance but I picked Mickey Rourke. I feel he was stellar in that role. I liked all of these performances but I would have had Leonardo DiCaprio (Revolutionary Road) and Clint Eastwood (Gran Torino) in Jenkins and Langella’s spot.

My rankings for that year would have been:
    1. Mickey Rourke (The Wrestler)
    2. Sean Penn (Milk)
    3. Brad Pitt (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button)
    4. Frank Langella (Frost/Nixon) 
    5. Richard Jenkins (The Visitor)

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

I am not a huge fan of Sean Penn at all, but this was an absolutely lovely performance by him. It was a complete change of pace for him and I am extremely pleased he won despite the Academy having a chance to honor Mickey Rourke since Penn won an Oscar just five years before.

And yes, Mickey Rourke was strong in The Wrestler…had he won, I wouldn’t have complained but I was just more impressed with Penn’s work since he never did anything like it before….the compassion and even the subtlety at times was compelling to me.

Richard Jenkins was also so good in The Visitor, especially considering how subtle he was and that made it all the more surprising that the Academy nominated him since he was a little-known character actor to the mainstream world in a subtle performance in an independent film…but the Academy can offer pleasant surprises.

Frank Langella gives a good performance in a very good, underrated film despite its BP nomination. He was also extremely strong in the Broadway production….the issue is that he doesn’t really look or sound like Nixon, but I suppose you could say he embodied his strange demeanor well enough.

I must admit that it was strange to hear Anthony Hopkins tell Brad Pitt during the Best Actor segment that year that he did “great, brilliant work” in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, a movie I, overall, really liked and found extremely enchanting but oddly enough, while Pitt’s performance worked for the film, I didn’t find it Oscar worthy in the slightest. Plus, the CGI and makeup did more wonders for him than anything else. Cate Blanchett stole the show acting wise with Tilda Swinton being the runner-up, even other the other nominee, Taraji P. Henson.

#1-Penn

#2-Rourke

#3-Jenkins

#4-Langella

#5-Pitt

I think Leonardo DiCaprio should’ve been here for Revolutionary Road.

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

I was rooting for Langella

ReplyCopy URL
    Emmys2011
    Participant
    Topics:

Rourke´s loss is one of the worst mistakes the academy has made. EVER. Not because Penn was undeserving, he was. But because the work Rourke did is beyond amazing. Even if the otherwise weak lineup were stronger, he´d still be the best performance. Brilliant and still pains me……

ReplyCopy URL
    benbraddock
    Participant
    Topics:

PENN  by a landslide

ReplyCopy URL
    Icky
    Participant
    Topics:

Rourke by some distance. One of the very best post-2000 film performances. He would be my winner if he had competed in even one of the strong Best Actor line-ups (2002 comes to mind). Penn’s performance is an affected, shallow joke, and Milk is an insufferably pandering movie. Still, Pitt is easily the worst of the bunch.

1. Rourke 
    2. Jenkins
    3. Langella
    4. Penn
    5. Pitt 

ReplyCopy URL
    Words Count
    Topics:

I prefer Penn’s work in Milk than his previous win for Mystic River.

ReplyCopy URL
    Icky
    Participant
    Topics:

He shouldn’t have won for either. Neither is even in the top teir of his performances. 

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Penn gave a studied, skilled, mastercraft perf. Rourke gave a performance from his heart and from his soul.

Plus, I dont feel any of the above gave “mediocre” performances,

ReplyCopy URL
    Words Count
    Topics:

He shouldn’t have won for either. Neither is even in the top teir of his performances. 

I hope you’re not under the impression he should have won for I Am Sam.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

O that’s funny Words Count.

ReplyCopy URL
    Beau S.
    Topics:

Philip Seymour Hoffman in Synechdoche, New York.

Of the lineup, Penn.

ReplyCopy URL
    Icky
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”Eeeekk”]He shouldn’t have won for either. Neither is even in the top teir of his performances. 

I hope you’re not under the impression he should have won for I Am Sam.[/quote]

Good one Bob.

Dead Man Walking, Bad Boys, Fast Times At Ridgemont High, Sweet and Lowdown and 21 Grams are my favorite Penn performances.    

The main problem I had with his work in Milk is that his voice and mannerism didn’t at all match the man he was protraying. The way the character was written required Penn to give speeches and pose as opposed to giving a fully formed performance. I also thought the movie was just borderline bad.  

ReplyCopy URL
    JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

I think this is a decent lineup…

1. Penn – Just loved his work here…no flaws whatsoever IMO.
    2. Jenkins – Perfect performance really, almost got my top spot.
    3. Rourke – Wonderful work, but I sorta, kinda feel the character was better than the performance…not by much though.
    4. Langella – SOLID!
    5. Pitt – a great actor in a very disappointing film IMO. 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
Reply To: Best Actor 2008

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.