Home Forums Polls! Best Actress 1928

Best Actress 1928

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Created
5 years ago
Last Reply
5 years ago
replies
views
users
Baby Clyde
JayDF
tonorlo
  • divo
    Participant
    Topics:

For the very first Academy Awards there wasn’t much variety in the nominees, but some competent performances. Other great roles that year would be Clara Bow in “It” or Marion Davies in “Show people”.

Who’s yours and why?

JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m going wiht Gloria Swanson…just a tad over Gaynor’s work in SUNRISE.  Swanson had this allure too great to ignore.

ReplyCopy URL
    Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

I own Sadie Thompson but have never got round to watching it so not really fair to vote.

Having said that Gaynor is sublime in both Sunrise and Seventh Heaven.

EDIT: Excitingly I’ve just gone to look at my chronological collection of Oscar winning DVD’s and found that my copy of ‘Seventh Heaven’ is actually a double DVD and has ‘Street Angel’ on it as well!!! This is very exciting and it can now be added to the ever increasing list of films I’ve been meaning to watch for years, but haven’t got round to because I spend FAR too much time on message boards talking about them.

ReplyCopy URL
    tonorlo
    Participant
    Topics:

The closeup on Gaynor’s face when her husband asks her to join him for a boat ride in “Sunrise” was worthy of an Oscar all by itself.

The fact that she has an equally scintillating and deeply moving characterization in “Seventh Heaven” and a very poignant performance that lifts “Street Angel” into a higher echelon in the same year further underscores how right the Academy was to bestow its first Actress honor on her.  

ReplyCopy URL
    SouthernManz
    Participant
    Topics:

I have all five of these performances, but sadly have yet to watch any of them.

ReplyCopy URL
    Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

HA!!! Story of my life.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Best Actress 1928

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.