Home Forums Polls! Best Actress 1950

Best Actress 1950

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Laactingnyc
    Participant
    Topics:

Theres probably already a poll out there for this but i cant find it so……. vote! 🙂 

My rankings

1. Bette Davis
    2. Gloria Swanson
    3. Anne Baxter
    4. Judy Holliday
    5. Eleanor Parker 

Beau S.
    Topics:

Davis and Swanson should have tied.

Abstaining from the vote because I cannot vote for two.

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

Swanson and Davis both deserved it, if not them, then Baxter would be my other choice.

ReplyCopy URL
    Actriz
    Participant
    Topics:

To this day deciding between Davis and Swanson is impossible, which is probably how Judy Holliday managed to win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Davis and Swanson are amazing, but I’m tempted to say Anne Baxter is my pick even though I voted for Davis. I LOVE her performance and she would have been very  worthy.  Holliday needs a rewatch, but I remember not liking her: Too mannered and stuck in a mediocre film that just is too much like a play. I usually hate that critiiscism, but for that movie I think its fitting.  Its so uninspired and dull and Holliday’s performance falls into that (Where’s the humour in this performance? Or in this movie for that matter?)

As for the real race, I agree with Actriz:   I think Davis amd Swanson split the vote, which gave Holliday the edge.  Davis also had two Oscars already and I don’t know if sentiment  was strong enough for Swanson to overcome both Davis and Holliday , kinda like Mickey Rourke.  Holliday was extremely popular at the time and maybe the infamous Babe Factor helped her. 

ReplyCopy URL
    JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

To all those who say a tie…I agree. This should have been the tie year for best actress and Streisand win alone in 68.

Anyway, I voted for Davis despite what I said above…my reasoning is bc although both ladies play BIG, BIG, BIG characters Davis has some grounding in reality with Margo and I think that is a bit more of a challenge than the delussional Norma played by Swanson. STILL SHOULD BE A TIE.

Holliday was good and Parker was as well.  Baxter, I’m sorry, was always a poor actress in my eyes.  I wonder sometimes if Mankiewicz wanted an actress who couldn’t keep up with Davis on purpose as a 180 spin to the story which was saying Eve would be or is as great as Margo.  Thought she was dreadful.

ReplyCopy URL
    ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

In 68, I thought Kate Hepburn should have been the sole winner not Streisand. imo

ReplyCopy URL
    Icky
    Participant
    Topics:

I admire both Davis and Swanson and think Baxter was just fine. But Sunset Blvd is one of my top five American movies ever, and Swanson’s performance is one of the reasons. Yes, it’s incredibly broad, but there actually are some wonderfully performed quiet, more grounded moments.

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

Swanson. Sorry Davis fans, Gloria gave the best performance by an actress of all time.

ReplyCopy URL
    Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

Bette already has 2 this goes to Gloria (Who would get my vote by merit anyway).

ReplyCopy URL
    Greg A.
    Participant
    Topics:

Swanson

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: Best Actress 1950

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.