Best Actress 1985

Home // Forums // Polls! // Best Actress 1985

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Greg A.
    Participant
    Topics:

5 totally different performances. …but for me, Whoopi was a force of nature.

JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

One of my favorite lineups, yet still mad Cher couldn’t get a nomination!  Likely to get flack for my top choice…but Bancroft is my all time fav actress and I just love her in this…Love Lange to pieces in SWEET DREAMS she gets #5 because she didn’t actually sing…no one can sing like Cline so it’s probably the best idea to dub the performance, I just have a prejudice against actors lip singing.

1. Bancroft
    2. Page
    3. Goldberg
    4. Streep
    5. Lange 

ReplyCopy URL
    Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

Geraldine Page gives one of the greatest performances in cinema history. There is no way anyone else was winning in ’85 and that’s just the way it should be.

1 – Page
    2 – Goldberg
    3 – Lange
    4 – Bancroft 
    5 – Streep

I would happily change the last 3 about. Cher would be an easy 3rd had she ben nommed.               

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

Cher should’ve been nominated, and so should have Mia Farrow for The Purple Rose of Cairo.

Of the nominees, I really don’t put much consideration into Anne Bancroft and Jessica Lange for these performances.

Meryl Streep is one of the better things about Out of Africa, though she has too tough of competition this year.

Whoopi and Geraldine….two very different women at two very different stages of their career: Whoopi beginning and Geraldine sadly being only a year or two from her passing and it being her 8th nomination.

Much has been said about Geraldine’s win being a veteran sympathy win, much like Don Ameche for the same year. Yes it definitely is a veteran sympathy win but there is one major difference: the performance is actually stellar.

I have seen The Color Purple at least 2 or 3 times and while Whoopi Goldberg is truly wonderful in her debut (one of the best debuts ever) and she had so many amazing moments but I can’t help but think of the scene at the old bus station in The Trip to Bountiful where they try to take her back home and she starts breaking down….it is truly heartbreaking and it has never left me since I first saw it. 

Had Whoopi won, I would have supported it highly but by a hair, I say Geraldine deserved it not only for a nice honorary win, but the fact that it was a truly strong performance that was highly tailored to her manners and tics and unique talents.           

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

Jamie Foxx didn’t sing in many parts. He did sing in some parts, though. He did sound a lot like Ray Charles, though.

ReplyCopy URL
    Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

This is a very good point and one that most people don’t think about when discussing the Best Actress Race of 1985.

ReplyCopy URL
    allabout oscars
    Topics:

1. streep
    2. page
    3. lange
    4. bancroft
    5. goldberg

cher in mask and farrow in the purple rose of cairo
    couldve taken the last 2 spots…

ReplyCopy URL
    Fishbiscuit
    Participant
    Topics:

I went with Whoopi. I’ve never liked career awards and Page lost for much better work. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

But this wasn’t simply a career award. The great thing about her win is that although it was her 8th nomination she 100% deserved the win.

I think it’s her best performance by far.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gucci
    Topics:

Whoopi Goldberg

ReplyCopy URL
    Laactingnyc
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Page
    2. Goldberg
    3. Streep
    4. Bancroft
    5. Lange

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I liked all of these perfs, including Jessica’s. She didnt do her own singing, but who can blame her? This is Patsy Cline. That’s like expecting Cotillard to sound like Piaf.

I voted for   Geraldine, but it’s really close for me.

ReplyCopy URL
    Miss Frost
    Topics:

Whoopi Goldberg all the way. Though Page didn’t make a bad winner, I just didn’t like this makeup award. Bancroft was good, but I didn’t care for Streep and Lange, who were just messy to me. Lange should’ve been nominated for Crimes of the Heart the following year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

I voted for Lange for one of her best and most talked about performances (e.g., http://www.bravotv.com/watch-what-happens-live/season-7/videos/after-show-more-meryl, http://www.utsandiego.com/uniontrib/20040730/news_1c30streep.html, http://the-talks.com/interviews/meryl-streep/, http://web.archive.org/web/20070808140136/http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/search/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000552277, etc., etc.), but I really think she’s tied with Whoopi and Geraldine, whom I feel deserved the award (that moment when Geraldine finds the envelope tucked away in her bra and she admonishes it – as if it were alive – with a slap and a chuckle ::).  Hell, all three deserved it. 

But, yeah, if Meryl mentions a role for nearly twenty years in nearly as many interviews, I think it’s a safe bet that the performance is, hm… legendary?

So, yeah…

P.S. It must be noted that although Legend didn’t receive a GG nom, she did receive notice from two groups I consider a tad bit more prestigious, if not necessarily more important:

1985 Sweet Dreams Patsy Cline
    ReplyCopy URL
    Boidiva02
    Participant
    Topics:

Whoopi by far.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
Reply To: Best Actress 1985

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.