Home Forums Movies Best Actress 1998

Best Actress 1998

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • cinephil
    Topics:

What’s your take on Helen Hunt’s Oscar win for “As Good As It Gets”? Did she deserve to win over Dench (“Mrs. Brown”) and Winslet (“Titanic”)? It seems like people do not like her victory too much. I found her quite convincing and deserving.

manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

I like Helen Hunt in general, and it’s not a bad performance by ANY means, but it’s just compared to the competition that her win seems so useless. She’d be dead last for me among the nominees, and that’s not even considering performances I’d have voted for like Pam Grier in Jackie Brown, Joan Allen in The Ice Storm or Victoire Thivisol in Ponette. 

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

As I recall there was a hubaloo about Helen being the only home spun American amongst the nominees. All of the others are Brits:

Helena Bonham Carter,  The Wings of the Dove

Julie Christie, Afterglow

Judi Dench, Mrs Brown

Kate Winslet, Titanic

All of these performances are terrific imo, including Hunt’s. She plays “older”, which didnt have much of an impact. Her Carol Connelly is understated and believable, and she holds her own against the formidable Jack Nicholson.

It’s a shame she’s so derided for this win, and I do believe she was a worthy winner. Plus, she was at the top of her game at that time with her network show.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Kate Winslet. Iconic.

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

She was great but this should have been Winslet’s only win. 

ReplyCopy URL
    VanHeflin
    Topics:

Hunt had so much trouble with her accent in that film. It comes and goes from scene to scene. It just is odd to call an obviously flawed performance like that the best of the year. 

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Helen Hunt has been vindicated by her Sessions Oscar nomination in Supporting Actress. Leaving Gwyneth Paltrow the sole Best Actress winner from the 90’s not to be a multiple Oscar nominee.

ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

Helen Hunt has been vindicated by her Sessions Oscar nomination in Supporting Actress. Leaving Gwyneth Paltrow the sole Best Actress winner from the 90’s not to be a multiple Oscar nominee.

Yeah, I was thinking as much as I disagree with Hunt’s win I still can appreciate it a lot more than Paltrow’s the year after.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Zooey the Dreamer
    Participant
    Topics:

I actually like Helen Hunt’s performance. She has her moments. Yes, she shouldn’t have won but the performance isn’t among the worst winners in this category. It’s nowhere near Sandra Bullock, Jennifer Lawrence and Gwyneth Paltrow. 

But in terms of who should have won: definitely not Winslet. To me she’s fifth out of the five nominees and if you throw Pam Grier into the mix, she’s definitely the one out. Christie was solid in a mediocre film. Hunt was better than most people make her look like. But this is definitely Dench vs. Helena and even though I love Judi Dench, Helena takes this. This was a hypnotic performance.  

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: Best Actress 1998

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.