Best Actress 2001

Home // Forums // Movies // Best Actress 2001

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

I need to rewatch all of these nominees, but I decided to make this poll given all of the other 2001 posts.  Right now, I think I’d give it to either Nicole or Sissy who have great performances.  Zellweger was terrific, but not quite Oscar-caliber.  I did not like Berry too much, thought she was uneven and screechy in her performance.  Dench was fine, but underwhelming.  

What are your thoughts  on Berry’s victory? Were you surprised? Or did you expect it?  

Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

Spacek among other things was actually supporting.

I like her as an actress, but I’m not particularly a fan of this performance. Todd Field, between this and the much worse Little Children, for me is an overwrought, heavy handed director who brings out the worst in his actors. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

As I said, I need a rewatch, but I felt Spacek had  a strong enough part to be leading. 

Who would be your pick instead though?  

ReplyCopy URL
    Scottferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t care enough about acting to think about it, beyond saying for historical reasons Berry’s win was OK with me. Monster’s Ball wasn’t as bad a movie as ItB. I didn’t care for Moulin either; Kidman was much better in The Others the same year.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I need to rewatch all of these nominees, but I decided to make this poll given all of the other 2001 posts.  Right now, I think I’d give it to either Nicole or Sissy who have great performances.  Zellweger was terrific, but not quite Oscar-caliber.  I did not like Berry too much, thought she was uneven and screechy in her performance.  Dench was fine, but underwhelming.  

What are your thoughts  on Berry’s victory? Were you surprised? Or did you expect it?  [/quote

Hmmm, I guess I’ll respond. The site has been wiping out my posts and since I’m no prize-winning typist,  I find that quite exasperating. Lol.

Yes I do recall that year as not being one of my favorites. None of the winners were my personal choice as I recall, including many of the tech and both writing Oscars. I could cry when I revisit what won that year, and over what(s’)

I suppose from the nominees my heart was with Sissy, but I was rooting harder for Tom Wilkinson who is fabulous in everything, including questionable fair like Black Knight.  Bedroom isnt one of my favorite films and isnt one I care to rewatch too often.

Todd Field, being an actor himself, is viewed by many as an “actor’s director” and he certainly is that in In the Bedroom.

I was happy for Berry but more so for her rather than her performance. Funny thing, depending on your pov, she either saves or near ruins the already flawed film.

An inspired choice for  a nomination may have been Carrie Anne Moss for Memento, or eithe of the Ghost World ladies if they could be considered leads co-leads.

ReplyCopy URL
    Words Count
    Topics:

The hatred towards Berry’s win is ridiculous. The women nominated with her are all winners. Either previous or subsequently after in consecutive years. There were much better performances from that very year that went unnoticed. The academy choosing to make history in a category that could use a wake-up call from the usual is fine with me. Especially because Hollywood refuses to commission lead properties for women that are racially neutral. Where both white and non-white actresses are appropriate to cast.

ReplyCopy URL
    ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

Berry’s win was very clear imo. Yes she had a very rough sex scene, but her overall performance was powerful. Nicole nor Sissy were worthy imo.

ReplyCopy URL
    benbraddock
    Participant
    Topics:

A CHANCE FOR THE ACADEMY TO HONOR A BLACK ACTRESS
    BUT THEY WAITED SO LONG AND PICKED THE WRONG ACTRESS.

Berry was one note and hardly in Monsters Ball….if anyone was supporting
    it was her and not Spacek who was the catalyst of the brilliant IN THE BEDROOM.
    It was a very good year for actresses and I thought Dench was remarkable as
    the older IRIS…I wasnt wild about Zellweger’s performance in a weak film but she
    was nomination worthy..

My rankings..

SPACEK
    DENCH
    KIDMAN
    BERRY
    ZELLWEGER

Its a shame that the academy passed up so many more worthy black
    actors and actresses, that oscar night was ruined by 2 inferior performances
    that to this day, have me shaking my head…Denzel and Halle both for the
    wrong performances…

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

I had a long writeup and then the website logged me off. This happens way too much but I should’ve just copied everything like I have done in the past, so anyways here is a brief writeup.

#1-Kidman (flashy role, very different than what we were use to seeing from her)

#2-Spacek (intense, though a little overwrought, yes)

#3-Zellweger (easily the best of her 3 nominated performances)

#4-Dench (Good work, but seemed a little same old same old for me)

#5-Berry (She had good moments and then bad moments. The inconsistency works against her)

This category was a missed opportunity!

Naomi Watts for Mulholland Drive should have been an easy winner for nearly every award that whole season!

Not to mention Tilda Swinton, The Deep End or the previously mentioned Carrie Ann Moss or Ghost World girls.

ReplyCopy URL
    Choice Chayawat
    Participant
    Topics:

If there’s a comedic performance that should be/have been recognized with awards, it is Renee Zellweger’s unique, effortless and authentic performance in Bridget Jones’s Diary.

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Halle Berry’s win is a deserved one.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gabriel
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t know why people hate on Berry’s win. Sure, politics may have played a part, but come on, it’s not like any of these performances are miles ahead of her. I probably would have voted for her. This is actually an extremely, extremely weak line-up. One of the worst of the last decade, actually. And Spacek’s role is supporting, so she shouldn’t even be here.

I was more interested in the non-nominees that year. You could make a line up from snubbed actresses that is 10x better. Naomi Watt‘s performance in Mulholland Drive completely eclipses every single nominee here and then some.

We also had Charlotte Rampling‘s astonishing performance in Under the Sand. Tilda Swinton in The Deep End. Thora Birch in Ghost World. And i guess Audrey Tautou wouldn’t have been undeserving.

But you expect me to think that the nominated actreses were the five best? Nice try, Oscars.

ReplyCopy URL
    jdbecker78
    Participant
    Topics:

Strong category.

1.  Renee Zellweger
    2.  Nicole Kidman
    3.  Halle Berry
    4.  Sissy Spacek
    5.  Judi Dench 

ReplyCopy URL
    Choice Chayawat
    Participant
    Topics:

I think the fact that Halle Berry’s win is hated goes beyond politics. A lot of people don’t find her performance up to par despite a very baity role, some even find it bad.

One can only wonder what Angela Bassett would have done with this role.

ReplyCopy URL
    KT
    Topics:

Honestly, I think Halle Berry’s win is hated partly because of her ridiculous acceptance speech.  So over the top, so unnecessary.  The expressions in the audience were priceless.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
Reply To: Best Actress 2001

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.