Home Forums Polls! Best Actress 2002

Best Actress 2002

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • MERYLMADNESS
    Topics:

One of the strongest lineups in Best Actress history.

Julianne Moore gives one of the best actress performances of all time in one of Oscar’s most snubbed films of all time. She should have swept everything that year Daniel Day-Lewis-style.

Streep for The Hours and Huppert for The Piano Teacher deserve to be up here.

1. Moore
    2. Kidman
    3. Zellweger
    4. Lane
    5. Hayek 

Beau S.
    Topics:

Julianne Moore. Easy.

Should have been the second of her two Oscars (the other for Boogie Nights).

ReplyCopy URL
    Galang
    Participant
    Topics:

This was such a strong year but unfortunate for Julianne Moore.

I thought Nicole Kidman was fantastic in The Hours and would have voted for her, although I did think Julianne Moore was the best in the film. However, I also thought Zeta-Jones was the best supporting actress nominee.  

So

Kidman
    Zellweger
    Moore
    Lane
    Hayek 

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Moore
    Kidman
    Zellweger
    Lane
    Hayek 

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

Very strong year but Kidman and Moore should have tied.

ReplyCopy URL
    JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

Not all that crazy about this year…

1. Moore
    2. Lane
    3. Zellweger
    4. Kidman
    5. Hayek 

ReplyCopy URL
    tonorlo
    Participant
    Topics:

I never thought Hayek was quite the trainwreck she’s made out to be in “Frida”; as passion projects go, the Academy has been guilty of far more indulgent nominations.

Kidman, God bless her, is willing to transform herself and go to long lengths for interesting (read: “baity”) parts, but the Actress never disappears as much as Kidman is clearly trying to will her to. She’s interesting in “The Hours” without ever touching on anything like dramatic profundity.

Zellweger has a kewpie charm that buoys her up far more than she deserves in “Chicago.” She’s cute in that upstart-kid-from-Katy, Texas-who-made-good kind of way, but the nature of her role and her (character-appropriate) underwhelming “performing” abilities cause her to look slightly opaque next to the more showmanly brass of Gere and Zeta-Jones.

Cowering for the shower of stones coming my way: I’ve never quite been able to understand the magic that people see in Moore in “Far From Heaven.” Moore always feels more like a caricaturist turning in a skilled pastiche in “Heaven” than a real human being, but I hasten to add that I have far more problems with Moore’s vehicle than her performance itself. To me, “Heaven” is trying to be a 2002 movie about 1959 AND a 1959 movie made through a 2002 lens, and doesn’t succeed at being either and/or both. Moore is a substantial and laudable talent, but I didn’t get the fuss in ’02, and I don’t get it now.

For me, the Oscar belonged to the nominee who flew the most under the radar. Despite a shoddy vehicle (by far the worst of any of these nominees), Lane still managed to sketch a complex and clearly conflicted wife, mother and lover who felt very lived-in, and who felt valid at every turn of the manipulative “Unfaithful”‘s storyline. Lane’s “train sequence alone,” for sheer actorly gravitas, outshines anything any of these other nominees achieved in their respective films.

I don’t mind one iota being in the minority on this one: Diane Lane.   

ReplyCopy URL
    Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

Julianne Moore. Easy.

Should have been the second of her two Oscars (the other for Boogie Nights).

Should have been the third of her three Oscars, as she should have already won that evening for The Hours.

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

Moore, without even blink

ReplyCopy URL
    Laactingnyc
    Participant
    Topics:

Streep, Moore, and Kidman were all lead in The Hours. And they were all worthy of winning. But Moore should have won for supporting and lead that year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

This is one case where I wish people can be nominated for more than one performance in a category, because I would do that with Julianne Moore.

Diane Lane was great in a weak film and deserved her nomination.

Salma Hayek should thank her lucky stars that she can be called an Oscar nominee.

I did like Zellweger and at the time, she was actually my choice but over time, I have found she doesn’t hold up.

Kidman was good in The Hours, but I think she definitely was more of a Supporting role.

Julianne Moore would get my vote for FAR FROM HEAVEN. An underrated film with some wonderful performances that have grown on me more over time.

ReplyCopy URL
    CJO1234
    Topics:

I would have voted for Nicole if her role wasn’t so clearly a supporting one. So I voted for Julianne here.

ReplyCopy URL
    Zooey the Dreamer
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Moore
    2. Lane
    3. Kidman
    4. Zellweger
    5. Hayek

ReplyCopy URL
    iveriver
    Topics:

Far and away, Moore.

ReplyCopy URL
    Malick
    Topics:

– Fantastic perf’s all around

1. Lane (interchangeable w/t Moore, gun to my head, i still dont know who i’d choose. Both are so damn incredible)
    1. Moore
    3. Zellweger
    4. Kidman
    5. Hayek

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.