Best Actress 2006

Home // Forums // Polls! // Best Actress 2006

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
Created
5 years ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
  • Miss Frost
    Topics:

One of the most competitive and diverse years for Best Actress. Who was your choice?

Irishmovielover4ever
    Participant
    Topics:

This really was a hard race as all these were worthy as well as many other women who were snubbed like Gylleenhaal (Sherrybaby), Watts (The Painted Veil), Beyonce (Dreamgirls) and many more. It came down to a tight race between two of the briths. In the end my choice was Winslet who gave her best performance in this film, in second for me was Dench who also gave her best performance in my opnion. The reason I picked winslet over dench was Winslet had the harder character to protray as this women was so confused compared to Dench’s who was a vicious women played brillantly. Still every nominee is worthy, I nominated them all in my own personal top 5 that year.

RANKINGS:
    1. Kate Winslet
    2. Judi Dench
    3. Meryl Streep
    4. Penelope Cruz
    5. Helen Mirren (Oscar Winner That Year)

ReplyCopy URL
    Miss Frost
    Topics:

This really was a hard race as all these were worthy as well as many other women who were snubbed like Gylleenhaal (Sherrybaby), Watts (The Painted Veil), Beyonce (Dreamgirls) and many more. It came down to a tight race between two of the briths. In the end my choice was Winslet who gave her best performance in this film, in second for me was Dench who also gave her best performance in my opnion. The reason I picked winslet over dench was Winslet had the harder character to protray as this women was so confused compared to Dench’s who was a vicious women played brillantly. Still every nominee is worthy, I nominated them all in my own personal top 5 that year.

RANKINGS:
    1. Kate Winslet
    2. Judi Dench
    3. Meryl Streep
    4. Penelope Cruz
    5. Helen Mirren (Oscar Winner That Year)

Please tell me you’re joking. She’s one of the worst actors (if you can even say she is one) and had the charisma of a statue in that film. Not to mention she wasn’t even the lead.

ReplyCopy URL
    iveriver
    Topics:

Helen Mirren, easily. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Carbon Based Lifeform
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t begrudge Mirren her win–it’s a great performance in a fine movie.

That said, I wouldn’t have minded if Judi Dench had won. She played a similarly monstrous character, although Mirren was more successful in humanizing or creating sympathy.

ReplyCopy URL
    Trent
    Topics:

Winslet and Dench gave, in my opinion, the best performances in the category (and I am NOT a Dench fan) and I would have voted for Winslet, but Mirren was very good and was the most overdue actress possibly in history at that time. Even I probably would have ranked her ahead of Dench simply for the overdue factor.

1. Winslet
    2. Mirren
    3. Dench
    4. Streep/Cruz
    5. Streep/Cruz
    (I can’t decide which one is better) 

ReplyCopy URL
    Morgan Henard
    Topics:

I don’t begrudge Mirren her win–it’s a great performance in a fine movie.

That said, I wouldn’t have minded if Judi Dench had won. She played a similarly monstrous character, although Mirren was more successful in humanizing or creating sympathy.

I rank Dench first in terms of who was the best of the [nominated] five. But were we supposed to have any sympathy for Dench’s character in …Scandal? I think it’s a brilliant performance, but like several other Oscar nominees [Stanley Tucci comes to mind; definitely Christoph Waltz] some characters aren’t meant to get sympathy out of anyone. They’re just pure raw evil. (Which may be why they don’t always win.) 

But, of course, it’s the “villains” that do create sympathy that stand out to me: Charlize Theron in Monster and Mo’Nique in Precious. Truly evil human beings because of circumstances in their lives yet we still feel a little bit sorry for them.

ReplyCopy URL
    Miss Frost
    Topics:

You couldn’t pay me to sit through Notes on a Scandal again, but Blanchett and Dench gave the performances of their career.

Mirren was perfect in that role. Very worthy of the win.

Streep gave one of my favorite performances ever. It would definitely go up in quality as her Sophie’s Choice performance.

So overall there should’ve been a threeway tie between these ladies that year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

I have to watch their performances again for the ranking but as I remember Judi Dench was my first, followed by Meryl Streep, Penélope Cruz, Helen Mirren and Kate Winslet.

Yeah. And one thing: Helen Mirren did not deserve an Oscar for this performance. One of the most overrated and boring performance by an Oscar winner EVER.

ReplyCopy URL
    GhostOrchid
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Helen Mirren deserved her Oscar. She just had no competition that year.
    She played the Queen and captured her very good imo.

The rest is REALLY hard to rank. I think all of them gave very impressive performances. I was posetively surprised with Penélope Cruz in “Volver” and Meryl definitely gave one of her most modern iconic performances in TDWP. Most people think it was category fraud to put her in lead, but for me she’s a co-lead with Anne Hathaway.
    Winslet and Dench also were at least nom-worthy, but none of them (all 4 nominees) had the chance to win against Mirren that year.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Easy. Helen Mirren hands down. But what a lineup of great or near-great perfs.

ReplyCopy URL
    Malick
    Topics:

I have to watch their performances again for the ranking but as I remember Judi Dench was my first, followed by Meryl Streep, Penélope Cruz, Helen Mirren and Kate Winslet.

Yeah. And one thing: Helen Mirren did not deserve an Oscar for this performance. One of the most overrated and boring performance by an Oscar winner EVER.

Couldn’t agree more. I too do not see the “greatness” in Mirren’s perf in The Queen.

1. Judi Dench 2. Kate Winslet 3. Meryl Streep 4. Penélope Cruz, 5. Helen Mirren

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Dench is great, but I think Cruz was better than everyone else except Mirren, who was astonishing as Elizabeth R.

ReplyCopy URL
    Emmyfan
    Participant
    Topics:

I do not understand why people think that Streep should not have been nominated in Lead.   This is similar to teh argument about All About Eve with Bette Davis and Anne Baxter.  Streep was rightfully nominated in lead, but Dench and Mirren was ahead of her for the Oscar.

ReplyCopy URL
    Emmyfan
    Participant
    Topics:

I do not understand why people think that Streep should not have been nominated in Lead.   This is similar to teh argument about All About Eve with Bette Davis and Anne Baxter.  Streep was rightfully nominated in lead, but Dench and Mirren was ahead of her for the Oscar.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
Reply To: Best Actress 2006

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.