Best Actress 2006

Home // Forums // Polls! // Best Actress 2006

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
Created
5 years ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
  • GhostOrchid
    Participant
    Topics:

Well, Meryl is as lead/supporting in TDWP as Viola Davis is in The Help. They’re both the “title” charater, but not the main one.
    Still her name appears first in the opening credit, before Hathaway, so they had put her in lead.

ReplyCopy URL
    Icky
    Participant
    Topics:

Because The Help is an ensemble piece and Davis’ decisions cranks the movie’s dramatic turns I can buy her as lead more. No one else had dominant screen time over her, not even Stone. I wouldn’t have minded her competing in supporting however. Streep had a supporting role that was designed to outshine the lead. But it was still supporting.

Dench and Cruz gave my two favorite performances of that year. There’s no denying Mirren’s impact and perfomance. Anyone but Winslet would have been a worthy victor.

ReplyCopy URL
    ashleywilliam
    Topics:

All r good but  Kate Winslet  is my num one choice.

ReplyCopy URL
    Troy
    Topics:

My vote is for Dench.  I am in the minority who believe that Mirren’s performance is one of the most overrated in the history of film.

ReplyCopy URL
    JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

This is the BEST best actress race in recent memory.  When you hate ranking someone last because they were so good…well that’s this year.

I flip flop all over the place – I always want to vote Helen Mirren, but won’t…

for now:

1. Dench
    2. Streep
    3. Cruz
    4. Mirren
    5. Winslet 

As for the whole lead or supporting situation, this year or any – I understand the arguments and usually have an opinion on placement, but never ever let wrong category placement make a difference how I feel about the nominees.  A performance is a performance iregardless of how much screentime, or whether it’s the title character or the driving force of the story – I call BS on all that and look at the cards where they fall and proceed with out the prejudice of a size queen.  That’s sort of a joke and not meant to offend anyone  

ReplyCopy URL
    Gucci
    Topics:

Meryl Streep

ReplyCopy URL
    DudeAbides
    Participant
    Topics:

I thought Mirren gave one of the great performances if the last twenty years. I also thought Winslet and Cruz desereved their nominations. I would also have nominated Kirsten Dunst from Marie Antoinette and Natalie Portman from V For Vendetta.

ReplyCopy URL
    seabel
    Participant
    Topics:
    ReplyCopy URL
    Emmyfan
    Participant
    Topics:

Judi Dench gets my vote.  Her performance was the one that stayed with me the most.  

Streep’s character is the character whose presence loomed over the entire movie.  I do not think that Streep should have been in Supporting.  If she were in Supporting, then people would have been in outrage that she was in Supporting.    

ReplyCopy URL
    Beau S.
    Topics:

This really was a hard race as all these were worthy as well as many other women who were snubbed like Gylleenhaal (Sherrybaby), Watts (The Painted Veil), Beyonce (Dreamgirls) and many more. It came down to a tight race between two of the briths. In the end my choice was Winslet who gave her best performance in this film, in second for me was Dench who also gave her best performance in my opnion. The reason I picked winslet over dench was Winslet had the harder character to protray as this women was so confused compared to Dench’s who was a vicious women played brillantly. Still every nominee is worthy, I nominated them all in my own personal top 5 that year.

RANKINGS:
    1. Kate Winslet
    2. Judi Dench
    3. Meryl Streep
    4. Penelope Cruz
    5. Helen Mirren (Oscar Winner That Year)

I agree with everything stated here.

Mirren for me gave the weakest performance of her career (possibly due to the film’s poor direction – surprising from the usually great Stephen Frears), is the weakest performance of the bunch and one of the category’s weaker winners of the past few decades (something I have taken a lot of smack for in the Best Actress elimination game thread). I think she deserved an Oscar for Gosford Park and this win was purely a makeup for never rewarding one of our greatest living actresses. Winslet or Dench should have this. Streep and Cruz are literally on the same level for me, though Streep could have easily gone (and won) supporting for this, taking Cate Blanchett’s spot in the category, and giving Blanchett her spot here.

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

this win was so far from being a make-up.

ReplyCopy URL
    black30
    Topics:

I do not think that Streep should have been in Supporting.  If she were in Supporting, then people would have been in outrage that she was in Supporting.    

No they wouldn’t.

ReplyCopy URL
    Actriz
    Participant
    Topics:

Performances like Mirren’s do not beat performances like Winslet’s and Dench’s unless the winner is long beyond overdue, which Mirren was.

Definitely a makeup win. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Beau S.
    Topics:

MadsonMelo – I usually find myself in agreement with most of what you write on these boards, but I have serious trouble believing that you actually watched any of the other performances nominated if you think Mirren won for any reason other than being overdue. 

Yes she was the biggest lock of the night, but that was because she won every televised precursor. Who else won every televised precursor? Reese Witherspoon and Forest Whitaker. Does that make their wins deserved?

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I fully agree with MadsonMelo. Overdo my ass. She IS Liz Windsor and fully deserved that Oscar, whether she had a career before that or not.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
Reply To: Best Actress 2006

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.