Best Actress 2008

Home // Forums // Polls! // Best Actress 2008

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Beau S.
    Topics:

I’ve finally seen every performance in this category (took a while to find Changeling) and I have to say that this is a tough decision.

Streep gave a rather hammy performance.
    Winslet was great as usual, but this was a makeup win for her (after being ignored for Sense and Sensibility, Eternal Sunshine and Little Children) and frankly her Revolutionary Road performance was better.
    Hathaway, Jolie and Leo were all fantastic. Leo in particular gave a performance much more subdued than her usual haminess, showing her true talent.

I can’t choose, but gun to my head, I’d choose Hathaway. 

MERYLMADNESS
    Topics:

Streep gave one of the most over-the-top performances I’ve ever seen, and this is coming from a huge fan of hers.

Hathaway. Emotionally touching. Big, but contained.

A classic case of an actress winning as her film’s only nomination.

Agreed that Winslet should’ve been nominated for Rev Road instead. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Charlize Theron Fan
    Topics:

Jolie!

ReplyCopy URL
    Charlize Theron Fan
    Topics:

A classic case of an actress winning as her film’s only nomination.

Like Theron! 

ReplyCopy URL
    ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

A great year for this category. Id say Jolie vs Leo which is funny because they are the only ones who did not win any major awards.

ReplyCopy URL
    GhostOrchid
    Participant
    Topics:

I voted for Hathaway.

*lol*
    I’m not that much of a fan of Meryl’s performance in “Doubt” (though I still think the movie was BP worthy), but I didn’t see anything “hammy” about it. If users here find/found it that bad, it baffles me she actually won the Gold Derby Film Award for it!!! 

ReplyCopy URL
    Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t get the criticism either. She’s not at all hammy to me.

Compared to the likes of Al Pacino and Renee Zelweggers Oscar wins she’s positively Garboesque.

Having said that this is Leo’s in my opinion.

Had Kate been nommed for ‘Revolutionary Road’ I would have picked her easily. As it is she’s probably 5th.

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

My pick’s an easy one for Anne Hathaway for “Rachel Getting Married.”

If Kate Winslet had been nodded for “Revolutionary Road” instead of the godawful “The Reader,” she’d be my choice instead.

ReplyCopy URL
    JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Winslet
    2. Leo
    3. Streep
    4. Hathaway
    5. Jolie

A rather unexciting year…neither of my top two spots are all that, but I could give it to either.   

ReplyCopy URL
    Laactingnyc
    Participant
    Topics:

This is the hardest year for me to pick a winner. Meryl, Kate, and anne all deserve the oscar!!! But if i absolutely had to rank them it would be like this.

1. Meryl Streep – Doubt
    2. Kate Winslet – The Reader
    3. Anne Hathaway – Rachel Getting Married
    4. Melissa Leo – Frozen River
    5. Angelina Jolie – Changeling

ReplyCopy URL
    Miss Frost
    Topics:

This should’ve been Hathaway or Leo’s Oscar instead of their measly supporting wins. With the exception of Jolie (who should’ve been replaced by Hawkings), this is a strong category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

The omission of Sally Hawkins in this category was absolutely appalling, especially since she won NY, NS, and LA…not to mention the Golden Globe. Had she been nominated, she may have even gotten my vote.

I don’t begrudge Kate Winslet her win, although I do feel she should’ve been nominated for Revolutionary Road. Had that happened, I would have loved her to win, but even then, I also felt Anne Hathaway and Melissa Leo were both strong in their films.

Angelina Jolie was fine in Changeling, but I don’t think she would make my personal lineup.

And then we have Meryl Streep in a performance that I was very mixed on. It was hard to think of Cherry Jones from the OBC while watching her. I wouldn’t call her hammy but I found it to be a very forced performance. To be honest, her last moment made me cringe.

I will give my vote to Anne Hathaway, which is easier considering Hawkins, Kristin Scott Thomas, and Winslet for Rev Road aren’t up here.       

ReplyCopy URL
    Greg A.
    Participant
    Topics:

Kate Winslet (She’d be #1 with Rev. Road as well)
    Meryl Streep
    Anne Hathaway
    Melissa Leo
    Angeling Jolie

ReplyCopy URL
    black30
    Topics:

This should’ve been Hathaway or Leo’s Oscar instead of their measly supporting wins. With the exception of Jolie (who should’ve been replaced by Hawkings), this is a strong category.

Their wins aren’t measly because the inscription on their statuette has Supporting in between Best and Actress.

ReplyCopy URL
    nkb325
    Participant
    Topics:

[quote=”TaraLauder21″]This should’ve been Hathaway or Leo’s Oscar instead of their measly supporting wins. With the exception of Jolie (who should’ve been replaced by Hawkings), this is a strong category.

Their wins aren’t measly because the inscription on their statuette has Supporting in between Best and Actress.[/quote]

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
Reply To: Best Actress 2008

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.