Best Actress 2011

Home // Forums // Polls! // Best Actress 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Anonymous
    Topics:

Initially I wanted Viola Davis but with time, Glenn Close’s exceptional performance has basically left a permanent imprint on my psyche.  She’s haunting in this.  A wonderful story, a masterful performance; would’ve been a more than deserved win.

black30
    Topics:

I can’t wait for the Streep Stans to give me a load of group s-h-i-t. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Laactingnyc
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Meryl Streep
    2. Glenn Close ( Extremely underrated performance )
    3. Viola Davis
    4. Rooney Mara
    5. Michelle Williams

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

I can’t wait for the Streep Stans to give me a load of group s-h-i-t. 

^ Basically. 

Seriously, though, I should preface this poll and my decision by saying that Streep should’ve won her third Oscar for either “A Cry in the Dark” or “The Bridges of Madison County.”  However, if I give the lead Oscar to Jessica Lange in ’82 for “Frances,” which half of the time I do, Streep would’ve won her 2nd for “Cry…” and her 3rd for “Bridges…” in my book.  I’m sincerely hoping she kills it in “August” and wins a fourth.  Everyone knows I love an actress who can pull off a great damaged Southern woman.  I would not begrudge her winning a fourth for this.  In fact, I’d consider it conducive to a make-up kiss from me (if deserved).

ReplyCopy URL
    black30
    Topics:

To me Streep’s downfall at the Oscars was winning Supp for Karmer. She’d been better off losing it and having her winning streak begin in Best Actress, had she’d been a two-time Best Actress winner then, her 3rd would have been Supp for Adaptation, which is all right with me. As was the case with Ingrid Bergman. 

I love Lange: Frances being her best but Country, Music Box, and Blue Sky being the most fun out of the nominated work. I had trouble sitting through Sweet Dreams with all the violence against her was problematic to me.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Beau S.
    Topics:

Many people don’t agree but every nominated performance was stunning. Viola Davis plays a supporting role in The Help. Many Goldderby-ites have given conflicting definitions of a “supporting” performance but Davis’ fits every definition that I have ever seen given on this board. She gave an Oscar-worthy performance in The Help and deserved to steamroll the Supporting Actress category instead of Octavia Spencer. Michelle Williams’ nomination for this film is very unpopular but I thoroughly enjoyed the performance. It was very subtle and different from Williams’ usual fare, so many people regard it as an unworthy performance. However, her competition was far too strong. Here’s where it gets tough. Mara was breathtaking and perfectly acted the role, with great direction from the always great Fincher. However, the movie was unliked by the Academy and Mara was not popular enough to win at such a young age. Glenn Close gives such a brave, underratedly marvelous performance. She probably would have been a much stronger contender (the film as a whole would have been as well) had a stronger director taken the helm. Meryl was a tour de force in The Iron Lady regardless of the film’s overall weakness and is the rightful winner. However, the year’s true winner was snubbed: Tilda Swinton for such a perfectly drawn and executed performance in We Need to talk About Kevin.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mrs. Doolittle
    Participant
    Topics:

Meryl Streep. Rooney Mara was the second best. Davis should be in supporting and Kristen Dunst, Charlize Theron, Tilda Swinton, the girl from Poetry, or Rachel Weusz should take the remaining three spots. That would’ve been one hell of a lineup.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

Rooney Mara

ReplyCopy URL
    black30
    Topics:

Many people don’t agree but every nominated performance was stunning. Viola Davis plays a supporting role in The Help. Many Goldderby-ites have given conflicting definitions of a “supporting” performance but Davis’ fits every definition that I have ever seen given on this board. She gave an Oscar-worthy performance in The Help and deserved to steamroll the Supporting Actress category instead of Octavia Spencer. Michelle Williams’ nomination for this film is very unpopular but I thoroughly enjoyed the performance. It was very subtle and different from Williams’ usual fare, so many people regard it as an unworthy performance. However, her competition was far too strong. Here’s where it gets tough. Mara was breathtaking and perfectly acted the role, with great direction from the always great Fincher. However, the movie was unliked by the Academy and Mara was not popular enough to win at such a young age. Glenn Close gives such a brave, underratedly marvelous performance. She probably would have been a much stronger contender (the film as a whole would have been as well) had a stronger director taken the helm. Meryl was a tour de force in The Iron Lady regardless of the film’s overall weakness and is the rightful winner. However, the year’s true winner was snubbed: Tilda Swinton for such a perfectly drawn and executed performance in We Need to talk About Kevin.

Streep was Supp in One True Thing, Ironweed, Prada, and very much a leading lady in Karmer and Adaptation. I don’t wanna hear it.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel Meryl Streep does deserve 3 Oscars…but I agree that her 3rd should’ve been for A Cry in the Dark….and I would rank her in a battle with Mulligan in ’09. If she does Deanna Dunagan’s role justice in August then I could see myself supporting her winning a 4th, but that remains to be seen.

I loved Davis in Doubt, but I can see why it was placed in Lead…and I can also see why it could be considered Supporting. I do think pushing her to Supporting would have guaranteed her an Oscar and I would’ve supported it.

I liked Williams, but felt she didn’t completely capture the essence of Monroe.

Rooney Mara was also quite strong in Dragon Tatoo.

Personally, I would give this to Glenn Close, whose performance was lovely. It should’ve been her 2nd Oscar.      

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

I had trouble sitting through Sweet Dreams with all the violence against her was problematic to me.  

Probably why it’s another one of her films and performances I love.  I can relate.

ReplyCopy URL
    Madson Melo
    Participant
    Topics:

The Iron Lady and Albert Nobbs are atrocious movies and only Streep was able to get out with dignity, Close’s character is incredibly sabotaged by the screenplay and her performance too.

Davis (considering that she’s lead) gives a powerful and sentimentally performance, but she’s in a average movie (at best) and her character has 0 development through the movie.

Mara wins by characterization and because she has the best movie of the nominees, but she somehow depends much more of her character than the character depends on her. It’s a very good performance, but the time made her weak to me.

Williams has the second best movie, a hell of a character and it’s brilliant in overcoming the fact that she doesn’t look like Monroe. But she picked Marilyn and turned into a character, gave her nuances and made non-unidimentional. It’s a perfect match for the win, she was in a good movie and giving a stellar performance.

1. Michelle Williams, My Week with Marilyn
    2. Meryl Streep, The Iron Lady
    3. Viola Davis, The Help
    4. Rooney Mara, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
    5. Glenn Close, Albert Nobbs

Charlize Theron, Olivia Colman and Elizabeth Olsen should have been nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    seabel
    Participant
    Topics:

The performances were good/nice, but the movies were terrible.

1. Glenn Close, Albert Nobbs
    2. Rooney Mara, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
    3. Viola Davis, The Help
    4. Michelle Williams, My week with Marilyn
    5. Meryl Streep, The Iron Lady

This year was a shame. The best performances were not nominated.

Olivia Colman, Tyrannosaur
    Kirsten Dunst, Melancholia
    Charlotte Gainsbourg, Melancholia
    Leila Hatami, A separation
    Keira Knightley, A dangerous method
    Adepero Oduye, Pariah
    Elizabeth Olsen, Martha Marcy May Marlene
    Tilda Swinton, We need to talk about Kevin
    Charlize Theron, Young Adult
    Mia Wasikowska, Jane Eyre
    Kristen Wiig, Bridesmaids

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Personal nominees:

Streep “The Iron Lady”
    Swinton “We Need to Talk About Kevin” 
    Paquin “Margaret” 
    Theron “Young Adult” 
    Williams “My Week with Marilyn” 

I’ll soon put my review about the actual nominees. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Greg A.
    Participant
    Topics:

Meryl Streep
    Glenn Close
    Viola Davis
    Michelle Williams
    Rooney Mara

Tilda Swinton should have been nominated over Mara.      

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
Reply To: Best Actress 2011

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.