Best Actress 2012

Home // Forums // Polls! // Best Actress 2012

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Beau S.
    Topics:

Very weak year in my opinion.

I rewatched all of the movies.

Watts’ nomination was completely undeserved for that drab movie where the only good things were Tom Holland and a few scenes of interesting direction. Wallis was a tour-de-force though a lot about the performance did not feel complete to me, and there was always something that I wanted more of from her. I championed Emmanuelle Riva last year but after re-watching the film I was less impressed with her and more impressed with Trintignant.

Which leaves Chastain, who is in the best film of the year by far, and Lawrence who is in a film that I adored (sue me). However, neither really feels like an Oscar winning performance. Chastain is incredibly downplayed and gets lost in the technical aspects of the film, and Lawrence has a lot of showy moments and is a lot of fun but doesn’t really breathe any new life or add dimension to the character. Perhaps most importantly I felt as though any actress could have played either character to the same effect.

Out of this lineup I’m siding with Lawrence because of the top two I named I find that she has the best arc and brought more energy.

Had Marion Cotillard been nominated for Rust and Bone, she would be my winner in a heartbeat.

Words Count
    Topics:

Chastain.

ReplyCopy URL
    nkb325
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Quvenzhane Wallis
    2. Jessica Chastain
    3. Emmanuelle Riva
    4. Jennifer Lawrence
    5. (Haven’t seen The Impossible)

I though Wallis was incredible, she was charismatic and heartbreaking, and she carried a film on her back that didn’t have a large budget or even simple storyline to do any of the work for her. It was the only performance in the category that i really LOVED.

However saying that, I knew she was never going to win and I was very fine with that, I mean she’s nine. I agree it was kind of a weak year in that basically all of these performances I could see not even getting nominated in another year. Chastain was my choice to win since Wallis was never going to, but with all the controversy around the movie, after that low nomination count I knew she probably couldn’t. Riva was excellent, but that movie was just so dark and dreary and kind of bored me (sorry) and Lawrence was entertaining and VERY good in certain parts, but there were others when I felt she was so broad and over the top it wasn’t very natural or believable. And I didn’t see Watts but we all now she was never going to win, this is like definition of filler nominee. None of the performances, with the exception of Wallis, really seemed that unique or special to me. I don’t know why but I felt all of them were just different versions of things I’ve seen before, which is kind of why I felt like it was a weak year

ReplyCopy URL
    Jackson B
    Participant
    Topics:

i voted for Chastain but i loved The Impossible.  I thought the movie was breathtaking, heartbreaking and so beautifully done.  I wish the overall film had gotten more love than just for Watts.

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

Wallis was so great, she would be my choice. I thought it was actually a pretty strong year, with Chastain and Riva giving excellent lead performances too. Lawrence was good but not as good as those three. I thought Watts was ok, but just had a very showy role. McGregor was the heart of that film, and was more deserving of a nomination than Watts.

ReplyCopy URL
    j-lawfan
    Topics:

1.JLAW(Of course!)
    2.Jessica Chastain(Jessica was also great but she deserved for The Help)
    3.Quvenzhane Walls
    4.Naomi Watts
    5.Emmanuelle Riva(Marion Cotillard was much better than Riva.She didn’t deserve nomination) 

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

This was a tough choice.

Chastain was great and I remember changing my prediction every other day becuase I couldn’t decide between her and J-Law. Lawrence was great as well. Riva was good but I was hoping for Cotillard to get the nomination over her. Wallis was good but I didn’t like the movie. Watts was great but I knew she didn’t have a shot at winning.

So here are my rankings:
    1) Lawrence
    2) Chastain
    3)Watts
    4) Wallis
    5) Riva         

ReplyCopy URL
    Mrs. Doolittle
    Participant
    Topics:

Jennifer Lawrence deserved this hands down. Wallis and Chastain would’ve made phenominal winners too.

Riva and Watts shouldn’t have even been nominated. Rachel Weisz and Marion Cotillard should’ve taken their places. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Gucci
    Topics:

Quvenzhane Wallis.

ReplyCopy URL
    rrekydoc
    Participant
    Topics:

Beau S. brings up some good points.

Wallis’ performance is the one here I couldn’t really see anyone else replacing, but, while I could see other actresses being fantastic in Chastain’s role, I still believe she gave the most effective and convincing performance of the year (for a lead actress).

P.S. Does anyone else think Lawrence should have been in the category for supporting actress or is it just me?

ReplyCopy URL
    nkb325
    Participant
    Topics:

Beau S. brings up some good points.

Wallis’ performance is the one here I couldn’t really see anyone else replacing, but, while I could see other actresses being fantastic in Chastain’s role, I still believe she gave the most effective and convincing performance of the year (for a lead actress).

P.S. Does anyone else think Lawrence should have been in the category for supporting actress or is it just me?

I think it was a 2nd lead, borderline supporting performance that definitely did lean towards lead. I think her and Helen Hunt had very comparable roles. Both probably belonged in lead, but neither would be MAJOR category fraud in supporting 

ReplyCopy URL
    pacinofan
    Participant
    Topics:

Emmanuelle Riva

ReplyCopy URL
    Laactingnyc
    Participant
    Topics:

Chastain

ReplyCopy URL
    Troy
    Topics:

Jessica Chastain.  

Lawrence was NOT Oscar worthy by any stretch of the imagination.  Her win was solely a “let’s award a hot young actress who has made a lot of money at the box office.” 

ReplyCopy URL
    JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

I choose Riva.  Sublime work…

I totally went in to SLP expecting to fall in love wiht Jennifer Lawrence.  I didn’t.  Don’t get me wrong, she was good…but nothing nearly as special as I thought she would be.  Bradley Cooper surprised me with the most interesting character work in the film.  Lawrence was my chocie for WINTER’S BONE hands down.  Here she placed 3rd after Riva & Chastain.  Watts and Wallis battle over 4th & 5th. 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
Reply To: Best Actress 2012

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.