Home Forums Polls! Best Actress 2013(if there was no cate blanchett)

Best Actress 2013(if there was no cate blanchett)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
Malick
Baby Clyde
GusCruz
  • Strong & Silent Type
    Participant
    Topics:

blanchett was totally deserved and sweept awards but what happend if no blue jasmin last year?.
    between four great performance which one should dave sweept?
    i dont add a fifth actress delibrately because in a good year of performances like last year a lot of people could have be in this list.

my choice is amy adams.if blanchett wasnt there she easily could be a winner.

GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

This is very tough because I don’t think any of those other four performances are Oscar worthy. I think Amy Adams delivers a messy, horrendous performance. I don’t personally like Bullock although she’s trying so hard here that I actually sympathize. Judi is always good, but the movie is repugnant. And I wouldn’t give Meryl her fourth for this. I’m picking Bullock, I guess.

ReplyCopy URL
    Morgan Henard
    Topics:

It would have come down to Adams or Bullock. 

Adams pros
    – Fifth nom.
    – First Lead nom.
    – Film would have had an acting win.
    – Film [tied] w/ most noms.
    – Won the Globe and Critics Choice.

Adams cons
    – Inconsistent performance.
    – Divisive film.

Bullock pros
    Everyone watched Gravity.
    – Mostly everyone liked Gravity.
    – Career-best performance.
    – Oscar went wild for her film. 

Bullock cons
    – “Crap! We just honored her for The Blind Side. If only we had known this was coming out.” 
    – Do we give her a second Oscar so soon? 

If there had never been The Blind Side, Bullock would have nabbed it no problem. But since that film and win happened, Amy Adams would be branded Oscar winner right now. And Emma Thompson would have slid in and got that fifth spot. (Adele E. just couldn’t gain enough traction to get it.) 

Thankfully, we did have Cate Blanchett/Blue Jasmine though. What an excellent performance and one of this category’s greatest wins. I give props to Judi Dench but her nominations were always her wins due to the inconsistent nature of her film. I will always adore Meryl Streep, but when Tracy Letts adapted August: Osage County for film, he made her character Supporting, and it was really Julia Roberts’ film. 

The final results would have looked like:

Lead Actress 2013
    1. Adams
    2. Bullock 
    3. Dench
    4. Thompson
    5. Streep

Adams’ time is coming. Surely she won’t go the Glenn Close route. It took Kate Winslet six times, and I’m hoping Adams has the same fate. And for a film/performance that garners her a win outside of her due factor. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Words Count
    Topics:

Judi Dench is my alternate. Amy Adams will win an Oscar. Her overdue status will outweigh the merit of her work over her rivals.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gain
    Participant
    Topics:

Voted for Judi Dench. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

Streep easily. None of the others did much for me.

Had she been nommed it would have been Exarchopoulos who was just as good as Blanchett.

ReplyCopy URL
    Junk
    Topics:

Judi Dench slam dunk. It was her best performance in years and they loved the movie as is evidenced by its over-performance with the nominations. No way Adams was winning for that 3rd lead performance with that awful “British” accent. 

ReplyCopy URL
    ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

Bullock easily

ReplyCopy URL
    ConMan
    Participant
    Topics:

I cannot believe that you even have the gall to suggest that, in a year with no cate Blanchett, Sandra Bullock still would have lost. 2013 had so many performances that were truly spectacular, and yet Sandra Bullock gave the best performance of the year BY FAR. Cate Blanchett’s performance was very good but Sandra Bullock… my god! She had to practice being suspended on the wires for five months. She had to rehearse every minor thing that happened in the film, all of it carefully planned out, and make it seem natural. And not only did she succeed on every imaginable level, she breathed life into Ryan Stone, making her a three dimensional character with flaws and virtues. Her performance is almost beyond words. Bottom line, she gave what might be one of the greatest performances of all time. And she was in a film taht everyone loved. It was one thing to have her lose, it was quite another thing for everyone to call Blanchett such a slam dunk winner. And now, even on this forum, with Blanchett out of the picture, you people still aren’t giving Bullock the love she deserves. You should all be ashamed of yourself.

ReplyCopy URL
    Beau S.
    Topics:

Personally I would have picked Meryl Streep, but the winner would have either been Amy Adams (overdue, first lead nom, a way to reward the film, best performance in the film, in a field of all previous winners) or Judi Dench (final chance to reward a beloved actress who deserves more than a supporting actress win for an 8 minute appearance in a film popular with the Academy).

ReplyCopy URL
    Cheshire
    Participant
    Topics:

I voted for Adams but I would have easily voted for Emma Thompson for Saving Mr. Banks if she was a option.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I cannot believe that you even have the gall to suggest that, in a year with no cate Blanchett, Sandra Bullock still would have lost. 2013 had so many performances that were truly spectacular, and yet Sandra Bullock gave the best performance of the year BY FAR. Cate Blanchett’s performance was very good but Sandra Bullock… 1) my god! She had to practice being suspended on the wires for five months. She had to rehearse every minor thing that happened in the film, all of it carefully planned out, and make it seem natural. And not only did she succeed on every imaginable level, she breathed life into Ryan Stone, making her a three dimensional character with flaws and virtues. Her performance is almost beyond words. Bottom line, she gave what might be one of the greatest performances of all time. And she was in a film taht everyone loved. It was one thing to have her lose, it was quite another thing for everyone to call Blanchett such a slam dunk winner. And now, even on this forum, with Blanchett out of the picture, you people still aren’t giving Bullock the love she deserves. 2)You should all be ashamed of yourself.

1)
    2) Well I guess I’ll go and practice some flagellation  right this minute.

Btw, I have seen Bullock in essentially every single freaking film she’s ever performed in. I  also like her, obviously. How about you?

ReplyCopy URL
    Laactingnyc
    Participant
    Topics:

Bullock

ReplyCopy URL
    Malick
    Topics:

Judi Dench>>Streep>>>Adams>>>>>>>Bullock

ReplyCopy URL
    Icky
    Participant
    Topics:

Bullock probably would have won. There was a great deal that wanted her to win, but Blanchett was undeniable: a supremely baity performance from a highly respected actress who hadn’t won a lead actress Oscar and won the gist of the critics’ awards. I don’t think Adams or Dench would have been able to gain enough momentum. Their performances weren’t “serious” nor showy enough. Bullock “proved” that she had dramatic chops after being the populist winner a few years earlier. 

I would hope that Delpy would have gained more momentum without Blanchett taking the gist of the critics’ awards. And the battle for the final slot would have been between her and Thompson. 

Who would I have wanted to win? Out of this four Bullock, but that was one of the more star humping bunch of nominees considering how many quality leading female performances last year had to offer. 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
Reply To: Best Actress 2013(if there was no cate blanchett)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.