I have to go with Streep here.
Streep. Hands-down. I rank that performance in SOPHIE’S CHOICE as one of the top 10 in film history.
Meryl is in a class by herself here, despite the terrific perfs from most of the others.
Just curious, what are some of your top 10, Artful Dodger?
Meryl Streep in SOPHIE’S CHOICE. And what a choice Sophie made.
I wasn’t really looking forward to this one because even though I think she’s great in Sophie’s Choice, I don’t even rank that performance in my top 5 Streep works. Had she won for A CRY IN THE DARK, it would be my top choice this decade.
1. Spacek (could just as easily give it to Burstyn in 1980)
3. Page (flip flop Bancroft and Page for 85, usually ending up with Bancroft)
4. Streep (shoulda been Lange)
5. Tandy (shoulda been Adjani)
6. Foster (shoulda been Streep)
7. Hepburn (shoulda been Keaton)
8. MacLaine (shoulda been Winger or Streep)
9. Field (shoulda been Redgrave or Davis)
10. Matlin (shoulda been Weaver)
#5-Cher (should’ve been Close or Hunter)
#6-Katharine Hepburn (should’ve been Sarandon or Keaton)
#7-Shirley MacLaine (should’ve been Debra Winger)
#8-Jodie Foster (should’ve been Streep)
#9-Sally Field (should’ve been Lange)
#10-Marlee Matlin (should’ve been Weaver)
1. Streep, Sophie’s Choice
2. Spacek, Coal Miner’s Daughter (My #1: Rowlands, Gloria)
3. Foster, The Accused (My #1: Close, Dangerous Liaisons)
4. MacLaine, Terms of Endearment (My #1:
5. Tandy, Driving Miss Daisy (My #1: Pfeiffer, The Fabulous Baker Boys)
6. Paige, Trip to Bountiful (My #1: Goldberg, Color Purple)
7. Hepburn, On Golden Pond (My #1: Keaton, Reds)
8. Matlin, Children of a Lesser God (My #1: Weaver, Aliens)
9. Cher, Moonstruck (My #1: Hunter, Broadcast News)
10. Field, Places in the Heart (My #1: Spacek, The River)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.