Best Best Supporting Actor of the 1980s

Home // Forums // Polls! // Best Best Supporting Actor of the 1980s

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Sebastian Milpetz
    Topics:

Strange decade with some strange choices

JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

Almost a tie between Gielgud’s effortless command of the screen and Ngor’s heartbreaking hero.

1. Gielgud
    2. Ngor
    3. Kline
    4. Caine
    5. Hutton
    6. Nicholson
    7. Washington
    8. Connery
    9. Gossett
    10. Ameche 

ReplyCopy URL
    Miss Frost
    Topics:

Nicholson I suppose. Don’t really care for most of the winners this decade.

ReplyCopy URL
    KT
    Topics:

Of these winners, I’m thrilled that Sean Connery and Michael Caine were finally recognized. They had both been giving dramatic performances of very high caliber since the 1960s and were continually being passed over, Connery to the point where this was his sole nomination (not even for Name of the Rose for which he won the BAFTA Best Actor). As two lead actors, it’s a shame they never got the awards traction they deserved for some of their lead performances but still immensely satisfying that they can be called Oscar winners.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

O a tough one. Came down to Gielgud, Kline and Caine. All three fairly comedic perfs. Eventually went with Kline, for his timing. But the entire lineup is fabulous overall.

ReplyCopy URL
    Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

Klein is such an inspired choice. It’s probably one of my favorite Oscar wins (as you all could… probably tell).

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

There are 5 or 6 very strong to very good performances here.

The weak three are Connery, Gossett Jr., and Ameche with Connery being the best of the three. Gossett Jr’s win somewhat baffles me. It wasn’t a bad performance but it never felt like an Oscar winning performance.

Don Ameche having an Oscar is a great thing but the fact that he won for this is probably the 2nd worst Supporting Actor win that was clearly a veteran win (I H-A-T-E that Jack Palance won! That is my least favorite). Was he bad? No. The performance just didn’t have much there. I have said a few times before that if they wanted to nominate a veteran from COCOON in Supporting that may have had more understandable weight, then they could’ve gone for Hume Cronyn.     

Timothy Hutton gives one of the greatest performances ever. Him being in Supporting despite being the driving force of his film means little to me at this point. I am just happy it won the Oscar.

Sir John Gielgud played a role he could do in his sleep or while battling the flu….but I still loved him. He was just so perfect and droll.

Nicholson was good, but I wouldn’t consider him the best of the decade.

Haing S. Ngor’s debut is absolutely spectacular. Such a heartbreaking and devastating performance….his death in life saddens me still.

Michael Caine did a wonderful job in a role that could’ve came across as completely sleazy and unlikable but made Elliot very real and despite his infidelity and lust for his sister-in-law, I always enjoyed watching him.

Kevin Kline winning was wonderful. While he didn’t give my favorite performance in WANDA, I still felt him winning was great and very deserving.

Denzel Washington….that single tear he shed. Enough said.

I will narrow it down to Hutton, Gielgud, and Ngor. Of the three, Gielgud is the true Supporting performance while Ngor is a borderline lead while Hutton is a pretty a co-lead whose film revolves around.

Despite the fraud, I have to give it to Timothy Hutton.               

ReplyCopy URL
    CoolHandLuke2012
    Topics:

Hutton is the right answer.

ReplyCopy URL
    All-Seeing Eye
    Participant
    Topics:

I agree. The tremendous pain and guilt that he communicated was amazing. Of course, I am a huge fan of Ordinar People too. Jack Nicholson would probably be my least favorite of all those nominated. He didn’t impress me. 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: Best Best Supporting Actor of the 1980s

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.