Best Director 1990

Home // Forums // Polls! // Best Director 1990

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • CoolHandLuke2012
    Topics:

Whos your pick?

I find DWW direction to be a bit overpraised to be honest, on the surface it looks like the more impressive direction than Scorseses but it seems quite monotonous, and I hated the way Costner directed the US Soldiers, like a bunch of OTT idiots with no redeeming qualities. I mean the acting in Goodfellas was OTT especially by Pesci but the performances felt real and lived in, and Pesci was just flat out frightening in a realistic way. I also find the Dances cinematography to be a bit overpraised, nice long shots of vistas but Scorsese’s camera work is far more innovative and creative.

Scorsese gets my vote. 

Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

Martin Scorsese more than deserved this award. No one even comes close to him this year!

ReplyCopy URL
    Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

Scorsese all the way. Would not have minded seeing the Coens here for Miller’s Crossing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Beau S.
    Topics:

What Scorsese did with Goodfellas is transcendent. The copacabana scene is deserving on an Oscar in itself.
    The Grifters is Frears’ best film, slightly better than Liaisons.
    Coppola did a fine job, nothing compared to the first two films. 

ReplyCopy URL
    KT
    Topics:

It is the years like this one that seriously hurt the credibility of the Oscars in the eyes of lovers and followers of cinema. Scorsese directed the hell out of Goodfellas, which gets its verve and life through the style with which he imbues the film, initiating us into the world of the mafia and often taking on a pulpy, darkly comedic tone. Though not reaching the level of greatness of Taxi Driver or Raging Bull, it’s a great achievement—and certainly much more so than the film that finally won Scorsese this award, which in my view wasn’t an impressive effort.

In fairness though, I should rewatch Dances with Wolves. I haven’t seen the film in years, and I know it was the standout commercial success of these nominees. Costner was huge in the late 80s and early 90s, and as we know, the Academy loves to honor actors who turn in great directing work. Sometimes it makes sense, Clint Eastwood coming to mind, but other times it shows a severe lack of judgement in how voters judge their own industry and the quality of films and what is great direction. 

ReplyCopy URL
    JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Scorsese
    2. Frears
    3. Schroeder
    4. Costner
    5. Coppola

Scorsese without a doubt, but Frears’ work is incredible!!!  Coppola is obviously a better filmmaker than Costner, but part III was a big old mess. 

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Well heck. I believe it’s established that Goodfellas is Scorsese’s masterpiece, and it is. But I voted for Frears. That film had as much impact for me as any other,including GF. And, I’m always going to stick up for Costner, for very personal reasons.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Best Director 1990

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.