Home Forums Polls! Best Director – 2000s/2010s edition

Best Director – 2000s/2010s edition

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Entertain-me
    Participant
    Topics:

Of the above listed, I would have to reward the most consisent filmmaker
    of the group- Ang Lee. The silence he exhibits is remarkable. The
    attention to detail exquisite. What he has to say about the world and the people that inhibit it is what it’s all about. His stories no no boundaries and have no cultural divide…it’s a melting pot. Brokeback Mountain is a classic of
    monumental proportions made greater by the fact that it lost Best
    Picture to Crash of all films.

Of those not listed, I would have
    to call out Stanton’s Pixar buddies: Pete Docter (Monsters Inc., Up),
    Lee Unkrich (Toy Story 3) and Brad Bird (The Incredibles, Ratatouille),
    as well as Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu (Babel, Birdman), Stephen Daldry
    (Billy Elliot, The Hours, The Reader) and Jason Reitman (Juno, Up in the
    Air, Young Adult).

Many directors made their debuts these past
    two decades: Stephen Daldry (Billy Elliot), Kenneth Lonergan (You Can
    Count on Me), Peter Lord and Nick Park (Chicken Run), Pete Docter
    (Monsters, Inc.), Todd Field (In the Bedroom), John Cameron Mitchell
    (Hedwig and the Angry Inch), Rob Marshall (Chicago), George Clooney
    (Confessions of a Dangerous Mind), Denzel Washington (Antwone Fisher),
    Richard Curtis (Love Actually), ®Zach Braff (Garden State), Jason
    Reitman (Thank You for Smoking), Paul Haggis (Crash), Bennett Miller
    (his scripted debut was Capote), Ben Affleck (Gone Baby Gone), Charlie
    Kaufman (Synecdoche, New York), Martin McDonagh (In Bruges), Lena Dunham
    (Tiny Furniture), Philip Seymour Hoffman (Jack Goes Boating), Angelina
    Jolie (In the Land of Blood and Honey), Benh Zeitlin (Beasts of the
    Southern Wild), Seth MacFarlane (Ted) and Damian Chazelle (Whiplash), among others.

These two decades have produced 4 Best Director wins for 3 individuals who were not white men: Kathryn Bigelow (the first woman to win), Alfonso Cuaron and Ang Lee (twice!). It marked the 2nd time that a Director has won 2 Best Director Oscars for films that didn’t go on to win Best Picture, the last time being John Ford for The Informer and The Grapes of Wrath. Ben Affleck (Argo) became the first Director to win every major Best Director prize but not go on to earn, at the very least, a Best Director NOMINATION. This marked the first decade to feature Best Picture winners from an African American (12 Years a Slave), while Rob Marshall became the 2nd gay man (if I’m not mistaken) to direct a Best Picture winner, following George Cukor with My Fair Lady (1964).

These 2 decades featured more Director-Picture Oscar splits than any other: 2000 (Gladiator/Steven Soderbergh – Traffic), 2002 (Chicago/Roman Polanski – The Pianist), 2005 (Crash/Ang Lee – Brokeback Mountain), 2012 (Argo/Ang Lee – Life of Pi), 2013 (12 Years a Slave/Alfonso Cuaron – Gravity).

My
    stand-alone films of 2000s/2010s include Brokeback Mountain, Crouching
    Tiger Hidden Dragon, Finding Nemo, Almost Famous, Ratatouille, Tinker
    Tailor Soldier Spy, Short Bus, The Social Network, Out of the Furnace, Grizzly Man,
    The Dark Knight, No Country for Old Men, Harry Potter, The Hours,
    Spirited Away, The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Moneyball, The Master, There Will
    Be Blood, Up in the Air, and Zero Dark Thirty.

Ryan Lapierre
    Participant
    Topics:

Nolan all the way. Memento, Dark Knight, Interstellar, Prestige, DKR are all masterpieces or close to masterpieces. But of course a lot of people will disagree with me when I say that. I only thought Inception was just a hare sloppy and tad confusing. It wasn’t even in my top 10 films of 2010. But the rest are awesome movies. I would say Fincher but I hated Curious case of Benjamin Button.

ReplyCopy URL
    rrekydoc
    Participant
    Topics:

In my opinion, Mcqueen, Bigelow, Linklater (still haven’t seen boyhood), Nolan, and Wes Anderson have each made two masterpieces since 2000. Wright had the “Blood and Ice Cream Trilogy”. Spielberg and PTA have come really close to a second a few times.

But I gotta say Peter Jackson, between his masterpieces Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, The Return of the King, and (despite popular opinion) King Kong. I also really liked An Unexpected Journey.

Nolan all the way. Memento, Dark Knight, Interstellar, Prestige, DKR are all masterpieces or close to masterpieces. But of course a lot of people will disagree with me when I say that. I only thought Inception was just a hare sloppy and tad confusing. It wasn’t even in my top 10 films of 2010.

I actually didn’t find Inception to be very sloppy nor confusing, though my lowered, worrisome expectations may have been a factor.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Best Director – 2000s/2010s edition

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.