Home Forums Polls! Best Director 2001

Best Director 2001

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
Icky
KT
babypook
  • Strong & Silent Type
    Participant
    Topics:

i think tod field should have been here
    altman did a great job and he should have won

JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Altman
    2. Lynch
    3. Scott
    4. Jackson
    5. Howard 

ReplyCopy URL
    helmetz
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Definitely Altman.

ReplyCopy URL
    Icky
    Participant
    Topics:

Lynch no doubt. I’m one of those Mulholland Dr. fanboys. Altman would have been worthy. Gosford Park has aged very well and gets better with repeat viewings. Scott would have a decent winner too. This might be the biggest distance of the last decade between the winner and the rest of the nominees. 

1. Lynch
    2. Altman
    3. Scott
    4. Jackson
    5. Howard 

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Haven’t seen Lynch or Scott, but Jackson seems to be the most deserving from what I’ve seen.  Gosford Park is well made, but extremeley stiff.  And A Beautiful Mind isn’t great at all, though I need a rewatch.  It’s incredible that Baz Luhrman wasn’t nominated! He would have totally deserved it if he had. What an amazingly, dazzlingly visual film! Agree that Field would have been a worthy nominee and winner though. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Icky
    Participant
    Topics:

Don’t see how ‘Gosford’ is “stiff”. It’s very loose in its presentation, especially for a period peice. It might not have enough tension and might not be structured enough for some people, but it’s definitely not stiff. 

My idea nominees would have been:
    1. Lynch, Mulholland Dr. 
    2. Nolan, Memento
    3. Altman, Gosford Park
    4. Kar-Wai, In the Mood For Love
    5. Jeunet, Amelie

Directing nods for Black Hawk Down, Together, No Man’s Land, Lantana, The Man Who Wasn’t There, Little Otik, Ghost World, Shrek, Moulin Rouge, Monster’s Ball, In the Bedroom, The Royals Tenebaums, Fellowship of the Ring and about 30 other movies would have more deserving than the winner. 

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

No contest. Gandalf, Frodo, hide that damned ring and give me some of that lembas bread.

ReplyCopy URL
    KT
    Topics:

Come on, Gosford Park is not one of Robert Altman’s best efforts.  Much of the support for him in 2001 came from the fact that he had never won before and this was likely the last time he would be nominated (it was).  The win for me is between Peter Jackson and David Lynch for best direction of the year, and I’d go with the former.  Jackson’s vision is a huge part of the success of Fellowship of the Ring.  He made great choices in that film, which I would argue is the strongest of the three (and was the most important for the filmmakers to get right—surprise, surprise, they did).  It’s more than fantastic casting, but it’s how wonderful all elements came together in Fellowship, from the innovative visual effects to the scoring (finally bringing the notices Howard Shore deserved) to the sound work to the impressive art department work.  I love the atmosphere Jackson brought to the film, the places the fellowship visited, and find the Moria sequence to be amazing cinema…really something Jackson seemed to be working toward for over a decade in his career to be able to bring to the screen.  Of your ideal nominations above, I would accept Wong War-Wai, whose film was completely off the radar this year.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Icky
    Participant
    Topics:

I actually think ‘Gosford’ is one of Altman’s three best efforts, and many had it in their top ten movies of the last decade. I do agree that he wouldn’t have had a chance of winning if it weren’t for his status and history. It’s just not an Oscar type despite being a period piece. I’m pretty meh on all of the LotR flicks, though I hardly wish to tear them apart again (especially in the presence of Pook). 

ReplyCopy URL
    KT
    Topics:

But the Oscars never really went for the true British period pieces did they?  Besides Gandhi, Chariots of Fire, Shakespeare in Love, and King’s Speech which were more accessible to wide audiences (not traditional stiff upper-lip British society), Merchant-Ivory had film after film get nominated and never win.  Remains of the Day was probably the strongest (and it’s much more significant a film than Gosford Park)…there was also Howards End, Room to a View.  I think it’s acceptable to believe LotR got a little away from Peter Jackson in #2 and especially #3 as their success was virtually guaranteed (plus, timing ran short for getting three right, which Jackson and Walsh have spoken about).  I’ve always wondered about the structure of 2 and 3, whether it would have been better to move the Shelob fight to happen earlier and then not rush through Mordor.

ReplyCopy URL
    Icky
    Participant
    Topics:

Which is why I said beyond Altman’s name and his previous non-winning it wouldn’t have been a contender. I could see Jackson being 2, but the fact that ‘Fellowship’ won no major Oscars highlights that a good deal of the academy was waiting the third installment. 

ReplyCopy URL
    KT
    Topics:

Yes, I think that was part of it, waiting for the third.  Plus, I think momentum really needed to build for LotR over the next two films to even have a shot at winning for Return of the King.  I think the first installment might have placed second but the Academy really needed the media to throw it in their faces for LotR to go all the way.  And then, of course, A Beautiful Mind was a film that was right in their wheelhouse, so it probably took the top awards handily.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

No contest for me.

Mulholland Dr was my favorite movie from that year, but considering it was a weak year for film, it was more from a stylized/uniqueness standpoint and I found that his directing work on this was top notch and Lynch at his finest…he should’ve won for this and for Blue Velvet.

#2-Robert Altman
    #3-Peter Jackson
    #4-Ridley Scott
    #5-Ron Howard (he was so “overdue” back then but now it just seems ludicrous) 

ReplyCopy URL
    KT
    Topics:

Ron Howard didn’t win because he was overdue.  He won because he directed the most Academy friendly film (by a longshot) of these nominees.

ReplyCopy URL
    Icky
    Participant
    Topics:

2001 was hardly a weak year for movies. I would argue that it’s right up there with 2006 and 2010 for its wealth of quality movies. The academy was just as per usual hella off with the nominations. 

I do believe his “snub” for Apollo 13 and his general status in the industry helped Howard out, but the “Important and weepy film put on a grand scale” thing is mainly what led to A Beautiful Mind’s film’s award success.  

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
Reply To: Best Director 2001

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.