Home Forums Polls! Best Directors – 1970s edition

Best Directors – 1970s edition

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Entertain-me
    Participant
    Topics:

Of the above listed, my selection would be William Friedkin, specifically for two movies: The French Connection and The Exorcist. My favorite of the 2 is the latter. A horror classic whose subject matter is virtually untouchable after this film came out. Tell me – when was the last time you could call a movie about exorcism a classic?

Of the not listed, I would have to call out Alan Pakula (All the President’s Men), Roman Polanski (Chinatown), Peter Bogdanovich (The Last Picture Show, Paper Moon) and most certainly, Martin Scorsese (Taxi Driver, Mean Streets, The Last Waltz), whom I left out because I included him in on the 1980s and 1990s. George Lucas is also a name worth mentioning, for bringing us the beginning to a wonderful franchise – Star Wars.

Many directors got their start in this decade: Hal Ashby (The Landlord), Clint Eastwood (Play Misty for Me), Jack Lemmon (Kotch), George Lucas (TXH 1138), Martin Scorsese (Boxcar Bertha), Robert Benton (Bad Company), John Waters (Pink Flamingos), Sidney Poitier (Buck and the Preacher), Wes Craven (The Last House on the Left), Terrence Malick (Badlands), Tobe Hooper (Texas Chainsaw Massacre), Michael Cimino (Thunderbolt and Lightfoot), Steven Spielberg (Jaws), Ridley Scott (The Duellists), Robert Zemeckis (I Wanna Hold Your Hand), Warren Beatty and Buck Henry (Heaven Can Wait), and Albert Brooks (Real Life).

My favorite stand-alone films of the decade are as follows: Patton, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, The Godfather, Chinatown, Dog Day Afternoon, Network, All the President’s Men, Bound for Glory, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Days of Heaven, All That Jazz and the documentary: Woodstock (1970).

benbraddock
    Participant
    Topics:

For me, the finest director of the 70’s would have to be
    SIDNEY LUMET…with that group of iconic films listed,
    he had no equal..

Runnerups
    WOODY ALLEN
    STEVEN SPIELBERG

ReplyCopy URL
    tjd
    Participant
    Topics:

Francis Ford Coppola wins the 1970s for me.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Best Directors – 1970s edition

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.