Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Entertain-me
    Participant
    Topics:

Of the above listed, my favorite selection would be the most consistent, as always. In this case, my choice would be the Coen Brothers. Barton Fink is my personal favorite, though Fargo and The Big Lebowski are the bigger classics. Miller’s Crossing is also very good, but one of their most underrated.

Of the not listed, I would call out former Coen Bros DP Barry Levinson (The Addams Family, Get Short, Men in Black) and Neil Jordan (The Crying Game, The End of the Affair) as well as Anthony Minghella (The English Patient, The Talented Mr. Ripley) and the late, great Krzysztof Kieślowski for his Three Colors trilogy.

Several directors made their debuts in this decade: Kevin Costner (Dances with Wolves), John Singleton (Boyz n the Hood), Baz Luhrmann (Strictly Ballroom), Tim Robbins (Bob Roberts), Quentin Tarantino (Reservoir Dogs), Henry Selick (The Nightmare Before Christmas), Mel Gibson (The Man without a Face, followed by Barveheart), Frank Darabont (The Shawshank Redemption), The Farrelly Bros (Dumb & Dumber), Kevin Smith (Clerks), Chris Noonan (Babe), John Lasseter (Toy Story), Michael Bay (Bad Boys), Alexander Payne (Citizen Ruth), Billy Bob Thornton (Sling Blade), M. Night Shyamalan (Wide Awake, followed by The Sixth Sense), Sam Mendes (American Beauty), Spike Jonze (Being John Malkovich), Sofia Coppola (The Virgin Suicides) among many others.

This decade also featured comeback films by both Terrence Malick (The Thin Red Line) and Robert Altman (The Player).

Overall, my favorite film of the above listed is Goodfellas, by Martin Scorsese. My 2nd favorite is Jonathan Demme’s The Silence of the Lambs.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Reply To: Best Directors – 1990s Edition

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.