Home Forums Polls! Best Lead Actor: 2003

Best Lead Actor: 2003

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Created
5 years ago
Last Reply
5 years ago
replies
views
users
  • awardskel
    Topics:

thoughts?

1. Paul Giamatti, American Splendor
    Min-sik Choi, Oldboy
    3. Russell Crowe, Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
    4. Bill Murray, Lost in Translation
    5. Ben Kingsley, House of Sand and Fog

Max 2.0
    Topics:

Sean Penn had a good year, lol.

ReplyCopy URL
    Renaton
    Topics:

Min-sik Choi! One of two roles in this list that became iconic in their own way. I love “Oldboy”, and his performance in it gives me life. Man, what a fantastic, dynamic performance, and in such a great and entertaining film. Ok, sorry about the drooling, guys.

I loved Jack Sparrow at the time (I even remember having him as my favorite among the nominees that year), but unfortunately, the sequels and the fact that the Depp would later abuse some of the beats he created with this character in other roles, simply readjusting it to new contexts and bits of characterization, sorta sucked out the impact and fun that the performance once had.

I think Bill Murray is a constatly good actor, and I think his great on “Lost In Translation”, but because I never found myself personally invested in the film, I simply don’t love the character as much as most do.

ReplyCopy URL
    JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

Johnny Depp gets my vote, followed by Ben Kingsley & Sean Penn in 21 GRAMS.

ReplyCopy URL
    dannyboy.
    Participant
    Topics:

Sean Penn, 21 Grams

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

Sean Penn got traction for the wrong film, plus Mystic River doesn’t seem to hold up well….but had he been up for 21 GRAMS, he would have been justified to win.

I’d say it is down between Penn (21 GRAMS), Murray, Kingsley, and Giamatti….I will give Bill Murray a vote as he did some wonderul subtle work in the still enchanting Lost in Translation. 

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I went with Bill. But it was close for me.

ReplyCopy URL
    awardskel
    Topics:

Sean Penn and Elizabeth Taylor are among the only examples where the Academy feels bad about giving them an Oscar for the wrong film (Mystic River/Butterfield 8) and makes amends by giving them each a 2nd, and more deserved, Oscar (Milk/Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?)

ReplyCopy URL
    OnTheAisle
    Participant
    Topics:

This is a fine example of the Academy’s reluctance to recognize comedic work. When announced, was there anyone who thought a movie about an amusement park ride, albeit a mighty fine amusement park ride, would be a strong contender for the Oscar?

When reports surfaced that Johnny Depp’s portrayal was unusual and discussions of replacing him were openly occurring, certainly no one thought Academy Award caliber work.

Yet, this is one of the great comedic performances of the time period. Depp’s over the top turn is so cleverly nuanced, the character generated a series of films and made a boatload of money. From his grime encrusted cuticles to his eyeliner, this is not the stuff that endears a character to its audience. Depp’s portrayal is so rich. It a moment of greatness.

It was disappointing that the Academy failed to recognize Depp’s work in order to award the pedestrian angst of Sean Penn in Mystic River, in large part to make amends for failing to honor Penn’s own comedic brilliance as Jeff Spicoli in Fast Times at Ridgement High.

ReplyCopy URL
    MiMicMick
    Participant
    Topics:

My Personal Nominations
    (My favorite is Choi Min-Sik but his performance is unlikely to be nominated so…)
    1. Ben Kingsley (House of Sand and Fog)
    2. Bill Murray (Lost in Translation)
    3. Sean Penn (21 Grams)
    4. Paul Giamatti (American Splendor)
    5. Johnny Depp (POTC)

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.