Home Forums Polls! Best lineup of Best Picture nominees (1990s)

Best lineup of Best Picture nominees (1990s)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
BrokenFan
Daniel B.
Entertain-me
  • Daniel B.
    Participant
    Topics:

Regardless of the outcome, which year from the ’90s do you think had the best lineup of nominees for Best Picture?

Daniel B.
    Participant
    Topics:

I voted for 1994, closely followed by 1991. Pulp Fiction, Forrest Gump, The Shawshank Redemption all would have been worthy winners…to have all three of those in a BP lineup is pretty impressive. Too bad The Lion King wasn’t nominated that year (perhaps instead of Four Weddings and a Funeral). Beauty and the Beast and The Silence of the Lambs are two of my favourite movies, and although it would have been an unlikely Oscar nominee for Best Picture, Terminator 2 really was one of the best films of ’91 and it would have been nice to see that on the ballot.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

Replace “Quiz Show” with “The Lion King”, and it would have been absolutely perfect.

ReplyCopy URL
    BrokenFan
    Topics:

I’m going to have to go with ’96 or ’99. 

I hate the 90s line ups. There’s always one or two that I don’t like that ruins the category.  

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

OMG this is really hard!

I’m imagining what a year would be like if we could take the ‘best’ from each year and cram them together into one…..

ReplyCopy URL
    Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

1994 for me. Replace Four Weddings and Quiz Show with a mix of Ed Wood, The Lion King, and Hoop Dreams, and you;d have something really special. 

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

1994 had 3 movies that are considered “classics” (sorry for those people that saw them in theaters, I was born the year after and I’m 19) and masterpieces (Forrest, Pulp, and Shawshank) and then Quiz Show which is an amazing movie but not very much a classic in sorts and a good movie Four Weddings. The Lion King should have booted Four Weddings but Ed Wood would be nice to get in too  

ReplyCopy URL
    GoMe91
    Participant
    Topics:

The only year I’ve seen all five movies is 1994 (although I’ve seen at least 2 or 3 films from the other years; and I was really tempted to vote for 1999). But, yeah, Pulp vs. Forrest vs. Shawshank…what an incredible threesome of classics. Quiz Show is so underrated. I wouldn’t get rid of that nomination for the world! In fact, it deserved another acting nomination. Four Weddings and a Funeral, despite its box office, seems like it was the big “shocker nom.” I think it’s a nice light film that complements the other heavier Best Picture nominees. It’s not my favorite movie. I think The Lion King would have probably been a cooler nom. (Although, as someone who thinks B&B is the best animated disney film, I sort of like how that was the only animated film to get nominated :P)

ReplyCopy URL
    BTN
    Participant
    Topics:

1993 for me

ReplyCopy URL
    BrokenFan
    Topics:

Ooooo my personal winners from the lines-up: 

90: Goodfellas 
    91: Silence of the Lambs
    92: The Crying Game
    93: The Piano
    94: Pulp Fiction
    95: Babe (what a terrible effing year) 
    96: Fargo
    97: L.A. Confidential
    98: The Thin Red Line
    99: American Beauty

Top 5:
    L.A. Confidential
    The Thin Red Line
    The Piano 
    Pulp Fiction 
    Fargo

and the decade Oscar goes to….
    L.A. Confidential

Runner-up: The Thin Red Line
    2nd Runner-Up: Pulp Fiction
    Special Mentions: Fargo, The Piano

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

The only year I’ve seen all five movies is 1994 (although I’ve seen at least 2 or 3 films from the other years; and I was really tempted to vote for 1999). But, yeah, Pulp vs. Forrest vs. Shawshank…what an incredible threesome of classics. Quiz Show is so underrated. I wouldn’t get rid of that nomination for the world! In fact, it deserved another acting nomination. Four Weddings and a Funeral, despite its box office, seems like it was the big “shocker nom.” I think it’s a nice light film that complements the other heavier Best Picture nominees. It’s not my favorite movie. I think The Lion King would have probably been a cooler nom. (Although, as someone who thinks B&B is the best animated disney film, I sort of like how that was the only animated film to get nominated :P)

This is, to the letter, exactly what I was thinking. The only slight difference is that I don’t think B&B is the best Disney film, but I think it deserves the honour of being the first animated film in Best Picture.

ReplyCopy URL
    FilmGuy619
    Participant
    Topics:

I went with 1991, but 1994 was quite a year for classics, I’ll admit.

ReplyCopy URL
    tjd
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m gonna say 1991, since I’ve seen three of the five nominees (Beauty and the Beast, Bugsy, and The Silence of the Lambs) and they’re all great. Second would maybe be 1998, of which I’ve seen Life is Beautiful, Saving Private Ryan, and The Thin Red Line.

ReplyCopy URL
    Entertain-me
    Participant
    Topics:

I went with 1991. The Silence of the Lambs and Beauty and the Beast are classics, while Bugsy and JFK are servicable. The only lemmon is The Prince of Tides. I would replace with The Fisher King

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

This is kind of hard because, as it has been stated, each year seems to have one or two movies that make me think “Oh god!”.

1994 had Forrest Gump, Pulp Fiction, Quiz Show, Four Weddings and a Funeral….those four are all wonderful films in their own right. The Shawshank Redemption is overrated to me and I don’t get the crazy appeal it has but it does have its merits and enough where I can choose this year as the best.

Honestly 1993 was very good as well. The Fugitive wouldn’t get nominated in my personal Oscars but it was an entertaining and well-made film. The other 4 were very strong films and while even one or two may not make my personal lineup, I can contend they were strong films.

Just for the hell of it, here is a year-by-year breakdown:

1990:
    Awakenings and Goodfellas were both amazing. Ghost was entertaining but beyond that…there were better films. Dances With Wolves was fine but not spectacular and Godfather Part III was a bore.

1991: 
    Beauty and the Beast and The Silence of the Lambs were the best easily. JFK and Bugsy were solid films. The Prince of Tides was a glorified Lifetime movie.

1992: The weak links here are Scent of a Woman and A Few Good Men but the other three: Howards End, Unforgiven, and The Crying Game were all deserving.

Skipping to 1995:
    Weak year, only Sense and Sensibility and Babe were worthy in my eyes.

1996:
    This year is has two masterpieces: Fargo and then Secrets & Lies…..Shine was a good film but not something I’d see again and I felt it was more about the acting, which we see those nominations from time to time, like Capote getting in for BP in 2005. The English Patient had some amazing aspects but it was not a masterpiece that deserved to sweep. Jerry Maguire was iconic but not Best Picture winner/nominee material.

1997:
    Other than Good Will Hunting, I don’t have a problem with the other four films. At first glance, I would think that I’d give consideration to this year because I like four of the films but I would only consider L.A. Confidential to be the true masterpiece. Titanic is a great film but does have certain hurdles that bring it down (Screenplay)…and then As Good as It Gets and Full Monty were both good.

1998: 
    This year hurts to look at. I forget which poster said this but I remember them saying something to the effect of their being so much art but so little of it was rewarded. Movies like Elizabeth getting nominated or movies that were good but not worthy of the nomination like Life is Beautiful or Shakespeare in Love makes a lot of the snubs harder to take. The Truman Show, Pleasantville, Gods and Monsters and a couple of others were all better than most of the nominees. I am not the biggest fan of Saving Private Ryan but it did have some stunning moments…same with The Thin Red Line.

1999:
    American Beauty and The Sixth Sense have their flaws but both are very memorable and iconic. The Insider could use a rewatch but I remember not being as wowed by it. The Green Mile was okay but nothing but gritty fluff and The Cider House Rules was just about as pure Oscar fluff as you can get and I hated it. So many great movies snubbed here as well!

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
Reply To: Best lineup of Best Picture nominees (1990s)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.