Home Forums Polls! Best Original Screenplay 1989

Best Original Screenplay 1989

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Created
5 years ago
Last Reply
5 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Halo_Insider
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve been going over my Oscar choices for the last several years, and I’m curious what eveyone else thinks of this category.

DudeAbides
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Crimes & Misdemeanors is one of the top five greatest movies ever made, so I think it deserved the award. Do the Right Thing is also a masterpiece, possibly the greatest movie about race relations ever made. Sex, Lies, and Videotapes and When Harry Met Sally are good, if a little overrated. Dead Poets Society won, but I think it should be a distant fifth. I would have nominated Glory, Heathers, and Parenthood ahead of the last three.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Really tough choice for me. Came down to Crimes, Right Thing, which I LOVE; but then when I saw Sex Lies and Videotape it was all over.

ReplyCopy URL
    Fishbiscuit
    Participant
    Topics:

“Do the Right Thing” laps this field without breaking a sweat. 

ReplyCopy URL
    JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

Crimes and Misdemeanors followed by Do the Right Thing and sex, lies and videotape.  Dead Poets Society next…dead last When Harry Met Sally.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

^
    Come to think of it, any of those three I might vote for depending on the day in the week. They are just so great. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Dead Poets Society was kind of viewed as an upset at the time. I do like the film and the script is fine and has, in many ways, become fairly iconic….but its win just feels strange when you have the other four films here.

Do The Right Thing was such a strong powerful statement on race relations.

Crimes and Misdeamors was one of the best scripts (and one of the best films) of Woody Allen’s career.

sex, lies, and videotape was that little art/indie film that often excels in these categories.

When Harry Met Sally was one of the strongest and best romantic comedies of the past 40 years, second only to Annie Hall.

It is so hard to choose between them….and even DPS has its great qualities even though I would place it fifth. 

ReplyCopy URL
    KyleBailey
    Participant
    Topics:

When Harry Me Sally and Dead Poets Society are tied for me 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.