Home Forums Polls! Best Picture 1976

Best Picture 1976

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
  • Laactingnyc
    Participant
    Topics:

My rankings

1. Network
    2. Taxi Driver
    3. All the President’s Men
    4. Rocky
    5. Bound for Glory

ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

^my rankings are the same as yours! I haven’t seen Bound for Glory though. Network was way better than Rocky, and should have won.

ReplyCopy URL
    Beau S.
    Topics:

This is one of the years that, in my Oscar world, is a tie. Network and Taxi Driver.

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Network 

2. All The Presidents Men

3.  Taxi Driver

4. Rocky

To me, Network is by far the best:  A.T.P.M is really good and I’ve only  seen Taxi Driver once, but I found it overrated.  Need a rewatch perhaps?  Rocky is mediocre and never seen Bound For Glory.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

The legendary duo of Network and Taxi Driver. I will get back to those in a moment.

ROCKY is the Cinderella story that Americans love to eat up….but I will never wrap my head around how it managed to get that kind of awards attention, let alone WIN Best Picture and not to mention, Best Director. John G. Avildsen’s win may be my least favorite Best Director win ever…even over the likes of Kevin Costner and Mel Gibson, but at least those two really seemed to try to make an effort. I didn’t really see anything special with Avildsen. What makes it worse was the fact that Martin Scorsese wasn’t nominated.

Bound for Glory is the forgotten film of the five. No one ever talks about it and many haven’t seen it, but I found it to be a lovely and underrated film.

All The President’s Men could probably use a rewatch because I watched it with extremely high expectations only to be left extremely disappointed and most of the movie was extremely forgettable…and yet it was the movie that won most of the major critics awards.

And now:

NETWORK- A satire that rings very true in today’s society. The script, while flowery and overwritten at times, is genius. The acting is stellar from Dunaway all the way down to the smaller roles (not just Beatrice Straight and Ned Beatty, but Marlene Warfield as Ms Hobbs was stellar as well), and Sidney Lumet did very well with it, even if it was more of an actor/writer showcase.

TAXI DRIVER: Scorsese’s first masterpiece (although you could say Mean Streets was great as well). In many ways, it has become even more iconic recently despite being the filler nominee back then with very few nominations. It has strong performances and takes a story/script that honestly could have been a failure and made it intriguing….and Scorsese really did a wonderful job with the film, not to mention his cameo as the creepy cab rider.

While I think Taxi Driver is the one I could watch more, I think NETWORK is the one I found to be a slightly better film…but I would agree that a tie isn’t out of the question.

#1-NETWORK

#2-Taxi Driver

#3-Bound for Glory

—-

#4-All The Presidents Men

#5-Rocky

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Rocky’s win is soooo Oscar. A feel-good, simple tale of redemption made and told by, one of their own, on a shoe-string budget which made the careers of so many. And it defeats a scathing, so true, brilliant film made in the same year.

All of these films are terrific in their own ways; The performaces, the courage to film them, the screenplays;  Bound for Glory for it’s leap in cinematography.

But few films can touch Network for sheer genius.

ReplyCopy URL
    DominicCobb
    Participant
    Topics:

What a great year for film.

1. Taxi Driver
    2. Rocky
    3. All the President’s Men
    4. Network
    (got a few minutes into Bound for Glory and shut it off, will try to watch again in the future)

It really hurts to rank these. They’re all very close. Don’t kill me for putting Rocky second, it’s a personal favorite of mine. These four are all in my top 100 films of all time.

ReplyCopy URL
    Icky
    Participant
    Topics:

All the President’s Men has become greatly undervalued. I don’t adore the rest, though Rocky is still the weakest of the bunch. 

1. All the President’s Men
    2. Taxi Driver
    3. Network
    4. Bound for Glory
    5. Rocky

ReplyCopy URL
    JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

Terrific lineup, but no contest.  TAXI DRIVER for sure.  ALL THE PRESIDENT’S MEN just behind it.  NETWORK I admire a lot, but I’ve always had the feeling they over cooked it just a bit.  BOUND FOR GLORY is a very simple but wonderful gem of a film that I switch around with NETWORK in my rankings ever so often.  ROCKY is also a small gem, but always places last nonetheless. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Zooey the Dreamer
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s so hard to choose between NETWORK and TAXI DRIVER and ALL THE PRESIDENT’S MEN is a close second. And in a year with these three great films, the Academy went with ROCKY?! 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.