Home Forums Polls! Best Picture 1981

Best Picture 1981

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
ETPhoneHome
Beau S.
Joe Burns
  • Laactingnyc
    Participant
    Topics:

My rankings

1. On Golden Pond
    2. Reds
    3. Chariots of Fire
    4. Raiders of the Lost Ark
    5. Atlantic City 

ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

Just watched Chariots of Fire again last week. Nothing else on this list was as deserving in my opinion, but I haven’t seen Atlantic City. It’s an excellently made film, and one of my personal favourites.

ReplyCopy URL
    Beau S.
    Topics:

Reds and Atlantic City blow the competition away. I also enjoy Raiders, but its not nearly as good as the top 2.

1. Reds
    2. Atlantic City
    —huge gap—
    3. Raiders of the Lost Ark
    4. On Golden Pond
    5. Chariots of Fire

ReplyCopy URL
    Joe Burns
    Participant
    Topics:

Need to see all of these. I’ve only seen On Golden Pond: I enjoyed it, but it was no masterpiece. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Anthony
    Participant
    Topics:

This is an interesting lineup because at one time or another, I have considered each of them as my personal choice. Nowadays, it really only comes down to two choices: Atlantic City and Reds.

Chariots of Fire is a good film and I also fully support its win, even if it may not be my personal choice.

Raiders of the Lost Ark is a very entertaining film and is probably the best Spielberg-adventure film, but it only ranks a strong 4th on my list.

The weakest film here is On Golden Pond, but that isn’t to say I didn’t like it. It was just a nice, solid film that didn’t really do much for me.

The surprising thing about REDS is that it is the typical big sprawling epic that the Academy loved as evidenced by the love they have given to films like Out of Africa, The Last Emperor, Braveheart, and The English Patient….and other than The Last Emperor, the other three don’t hold up that well. The ironic thing, for me, is that one of the times they didn’t honor the grand epic, it was one that stood the test of time and has remained riveting.

Atlantic City is very intimate and I remember being very swept up in its almost dreamlike quality. I could use a rewatch though.

I still think REDS was the deserving winner.

Missing from this lineup:

Arthur

Prince of the City

Ragtime

ReplyCopy URL
    DudeAbides
    Participant
    Topics:

I think both Chariots of Fire and Raiders of the Lost Ark are two of the best movies ever made. Chariots of Fire gets my vote. Atlantic City is a great movie, a much better movie about old age than On Golden Pond. I think Reds is long and boring and On Golden Pond is rather annoying. I would have nominated My Dinner with Andre and Modern Romance.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I liked all of the above, and was really happy for Burt Lancaster. Same for Henry Fonda.

But for sheer entertainment and “enjoyability”, I voted for Raiders, a film the likes of which appears to have a terrible bias against when it comes to the dickless Oscar,

Reds is sublime. Probably my personal choice for BP and BD

ReplyCopy URL
    DominicCobb
    Participant
    Topics:

This one gets my blood boiling. Raiders is one of my all time favorites and I’d easily call it the best film of 81. Other than that, Brian De Palma’s Blow Out is actually better than any of the nominees.

But Reds would have made a fine winner. It’s a great film.

But Chariots of Fire? Are you kidding me? It’s far from a great film, and might not even be a good film. I’ll just call it decent and leave it there. One of the worst BP’s (third worst I think). 

ReplyCopy URL
    JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK by a landslide.  Entertainment at it’s finest, wonderfully crafted with a shamefully ignored performance by Harrison Ford.

Atlantic City & Reds are great films with merits a plenty…still no cigar.

On Golden Pond & Chariots of Fire are OK films with special merits here and there.  The former having some very special performances. 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: Best Picture 1981

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.